Status: Slowly becoming active. Thank you so much for all the comments when I wasn't writing. Helped me a ton. <3

I Never Told a Lie, and That Makes Me a Liar

Chapter Four.

Jack and I were sitting in a Burger King in a truck stop in Maine a week later. The other guys had all decided they wanted something else to eat and had wandered off. Jack and I both decided we just wanted plain old Burger King though, so there we sat.

I looked down at my chicken, feeling a tad awkward. Jack and I had never been alone before. I looked up at him, to see him staring at me. Our eyes locked for a brief second before he looked away.

“Wendy?” Jack asked quietly, looking over at me again. I raised my eyebrows and hummed.

“What…what did that guy…” he started, but I cut him off.

“Jayden,” I informed. He nodded a little.

“Right. What did Jayden want from you?” Jack asked. I sighed, putting the piece of chicken back into the carton. I ran my hand through my hair and shut my eyes.

“Don’t worry about it, Jack,” I said, giving him a weak smile. He shook his head.

“Wendy, I will worry!” he exclaimed. “You’re getting hunted down by a guy I think is trying to kill you. I will worry.” I sighed, shaking my head.

“Jack, you know NOTHING about—— ” I started, but stopped talking as Zack sat down next to me, squeezing my shoulder a little and giving me a dazzling smile. I smiled back at him, mine paling in comparison. Narrowly avoided the conversation I hope to never have; and I’m glad I did. Jack gave me a look, telling me he wasn’t giving up that easily.

“What did you end up getting?” I asked Zack, looking over at his bag of food. He pulled out what looked like a turkey and cheese sandwich.

“Turkey and cheese,” he affirmed. He took a bite, putting his head on mine. “What’s going on with you two?” he asked. “If looks could kill, Jack would be a murder.”

“I wanted to know why Jayden was chasing her,” he explained. Zack rolled his eyes, wiping his mouth with a napkin before he looked around.

“I don’t really think this is the right place for this conversation,” he said quietly. “Even if it was, Wendy has the right not to tell us.”

“Not really,” Jack answered. I perked up in my seat, glaring at Jack.

“And how is my personal business anything to you?” I shot at him, becoming even more defensive than I already was. Zack put his hand on my arm, rubbing it a little. I sighed, calming down a little bit.

“What’s going on with you three?” Alex asked as him and Rian walked back over and sat down. Jack opened his mouth, intent on not giving up on the fight, but Zack cut him off.

“Nothing!” he exclaimed. “You had to be there,” he added. I nodded in agreement, because for all I know Alex and Ryan could agree with Jack on the matter and I’d be screwed. Jack and I ate in silence, glaring at each other as the others talked animatedly about tv shows are or something.

As the five of us were walking out to the parking lot, Jack grabbed my arm. I sighed, half glaring at him. He looked down at me, pulling me close.

“I’m not giving up on this, Wendy,” he cautioned, raising his eyebrows at me. I rolled my eyes.

“I think it would be in your best interest for you to drop it,” I told him. “Do you love your family, Jack?” He nodded slowly.

“Then I would stop sticking your nose where it doesn’t belong,” I informed. Without another word, I jerked my arm out of his grip, and walked off for the tour bus.