Power Of The Moons.

Chapter 16

“Woah!” Mason had his hands in his pocket but pulled them out when he saw me. He had on black pant, casual dress shoes, and to my surprise, a dark blue button up shirt with a black leather jacket. He was grinning madly and kept running his eyes up and down. I blushed despite myself and cleared my throat.

“You look amazing.” He told me seriously, and turned to Blue, “Thanks again Blue.”
“Sure thing.” She shrugged.
“Shall we?” He asked holding out his arm.
“Do I have a choice?” I asked sighing.
“Not really.” He admitted with a grin. I stepped forward and slid my arm into his and he led us out.

“Have fun!” Blue waved then disappeared back into my room. I looked over my shoulder and glared at where she had been. Mason led us away down, more halls and I was lost again, but I knew the general direction.

“Not the dining room?” I asked curiously.
He shook his head, “No, no, that’s not place for a date.” He looked down at me.
“A d-date?” I asked.
“You don’t consider this a date?”

I bit my bottom lip, I didn’t really like Mason in that way. Not really, he was charming and stuck up, but I didn’t have feelings for him. Sure he had muscles and a great smile, but I just didn’t feel for him. “As friends.” I finally said with a nod. The smiled fell from his face, and he stared off ahead as he walked.

I felt bad, but I didn’t want to lead him on, no matter what Blue had tried to do. I didn’t like him. I thought about Damien, I wanted to see him, tomorrow, I would see him tomorrow. I pushed him out of my mind, and decided to try and enjoy myself.

He took us to a private room, it had been cleaned and set up with a table and two chairs, with candles and the fireplace was lit. The food was already there set on the table. “Wow.” I said surprised, “It must have taken sometime for you to do this.”

“Well honestly, I’ve had this set up for about a week now.” He admitted, “Since you healed me I wanted to be prepared.
“The food as well?” I asked.
He laughed, “No, not the food.” He shook his head with a grin, “What sort of gentlemen do you think I am?” He pulled my chair back for me and I sat as he walked to the other side of the round table and sat down. “Where is the gentleman?” I asked pretending to look around the room for one. He smirked.

We ate and talked, but mostly he made me laugh, he told jokes, and stories, and all of them were funny. He would grin while I would be trying to stop laughing and he would look at me. He was different for some reason, he wasn’t the younger immature stuck up pig head, he was actually real sweet. He had a good sense of humor, and to my surprise, he was very intelligent.

I took a deep breath after I finished laughing, “It’s getting late, I’ll take you back.” He said standing up. He help me pulled back the chair and led me out after he blew out the candles.

It was cold in the hallway, but I didn’t make any fuss. I simply stuck it up and dealt with it, but by the second turn I was shivering lightly and I was already thinking of ways to get back at Blue for not letting me have a jacket.

“Here.” Mason stopped and slid the jacket off his shoulders and threw it around me.
“Th-thanks.” I said shivering. He bowed slightly with a smile, and then took my arm again. We got back to my room, and paused outside the door.
“Well.” He said quietly.
“Thank you, I really did have a good time, and the food was good to.” I smiled, “oh and here.” I took of the jacket and gave it back to him. “It was very warm.”
He bowed his head with a grin, “My pleasure, until next time then.” He took my hand and kissed it then walked off. I stood still in shock for a minute then shook myself and walked into my room.

Blue was waiting there on my bed, and as soon as I stepped into the room, she jumped up and started assaulting me with questions, “SO!” She demanded, “How’d it go?!”

I slid the flat shoes from my feet, tossed them in some random direction, and headed to the closet to change. “Fine, it was a nice dinner.” I shrugged of the dress and searched for a comfy shirt and pajama pants.

“Just fine?”
“Yes, just fine. What did you expect? It’s not like I like him or something.” I stepped out into the room, handed her the dress, and headed for the bathroom. I brushed my hair out and brushed my teeth. Then went out and collapsed onto the bed next to Blue.

“You don’t?” She asked surprised.
I shrugged, “I mean he was nicer than normal tonight, more mature and stuff. But I don’t have feelings for him. He’s just another guy.” I shrugged and started to think about Damien, I missed him.

“Weird.” She stated plainly, “I can see you want to go to bed, so I’ll just leave. See ya.” She hopped off the bed with a wave of her hand and she was gone.

“Bye.” I said quietly pulling the covers to my chin.

~ ~ ~ ~

The next day I searched for Jessie, until finally I was pointed to his office/study room. I opened the door without knocking and strolled in. The room was a smaller version of the library, and more cozy. Jessie was sitting in a comfortable chair behind his desk reading.

“Can I help you Rory?” He asked without looking up from his book.
“Yes, actually you can. I want to see Damien.” He placed the book down silently and slipped his black reading glasses off and placed it on top of the book then looked at me.
“That’s…not going to happen.” He said carefully. My eyes narrowed to slits, but he continued, “That’s not going to happen because…he’s dead.”

My heart stopped beating for a minute, then started up just as fast. “What?” I croaked.
“He’s dead Rory…I’m sorry.” He sighed.
I was stunned. Dead? How can he be dead? I just saw him…but he was sick… “You!” I pointed a guilty finger at him, “it was you! You killed him! You wouldn’t let him feed! So you let him die!” He stood up from his chair as I took a few steps towards him.

He stood in front of me like a lion to a rabbit, I shrunk slightly but kept my place, “Don’t go accusing me.” He growled deeply, “It was too dangerous.”
“He never hurt anyone!” I cried.
“Never?” He asked calmly, “How do you know that Rory? Where you there watching him his entire life? Hmm?” He asked, “He’s a Vampire, or super human, whatever you want to call it. He needs blood to survive, blood Rory. And guess where that blood comes from.”

I was shaking my head, “No.” I whispered.
“Yes, humans. Why do you think there are so many disappearances within the city walls of this world? Why do you think the government never does anything about it? They were created to protect and to keep everything under control, but their ability consumes their own supply of blood, so they must look to others for food. They crave it, want it, and need it. When the blue moon rises every night their ability heightens, they are more powerful, but they are also more dangerous, they are hungrier at night.”

I remembered Damien, almost every morning up at the tops of the trees catching the first rays of the sun, he had looked so calm, so peaceful. so that’s what he had been doing, the sun brought relief of the torment during the night…

“But….Damien never harmed anyone when I was with him…” I said looking up at Jessie. “He…” I trailed off, that one time he had brought meat, when I had been asleep. My eyes widened, “He fed off of animals!” I exclaimed figuring it out.

Jessie raised an eyebrow, “What?”
“He must have fed off of animals…he brought back deer meat once…it only makes sense we didn’t have any weapons so how could he get a dear?” I asked, I wanted to believe.

But he was shaking his head, “You forget, he wouldn’t need weapons to kill a dear.” My heart sank…of course he wouldn’t. I was stupid to think like that, “That, and the fact that they depend on human blood, animal blood does nothing for them, only human blood can sustain them.” My heart sank even further. Jessie held out his hand and placed in my shoulder, “I’m sorry Rory.”

Tears fell as I made my way back to my room, Damien dead…the one who saved my life twice, dead. I sniffed. Life was unfair, now there was nothing keeping me here anymore. Damien was dead there was no threat I wanted to leave. I looked up to the tunnel that led out of the caves as I passed it. But I shook my head, no, I didn’t want to leave, they needed a doctor here, I was the closest thing they had to a doctor. And Blue, she was my friend, and Dave. Then of course there was Mason…but I had no feelings for him.

I curled up to a ball on my bed when I was back in my room and I cried myself to sleep. It was in the middle of the day, but I was tired. I woke up an hour later, cramped and stiff. I stretched and laid there thinking.

My room was silent except for the few pops of the fire and almost inaudible hum from the crystals. I sighed. Even that seemed too loud for my mood. Damien was dead. I still couldn’t believe it. I may have been afraid of him at times, or angry with him. But he was still a man that had saved my life and taken me out of the city, to show me a new world.

I sighed, it was also his fault all of this started in the first place. If he hadn’t saved my life the first time then none of this would have happened. But even as I thought of that, I was sad. I would have never gone outside the city walls if it wasn’t for him, I wouldn’t of had this adventure, I wouldn’t have met Blue, Dave, or Mason, I wouldn’t be in this fairy tale.

Whether I liked it or not Damien had changed my life, whether for better or for worse, that would still have to be decided and whether I liked it or not, he was gone.

Few people came to the infirmary, and when they did it was mainly for broken bones, or dislocated shoulders, or something of the sort. Hardly anyone ever came to me with a fever, or cough, or flu. So when I started to become ill everyone asked if I was alright.

“Are you sure you’re ok? You look horrible.” Blue asked me for the fifth time during lunch, “and you’re hardly eating.”

I sniffed, “I’m fine Blue, and really I’ll be fine. It’s just a cold, I’m sure I’ll be better in a day or so.” I sipped at my soup half-heartedly; I didn’t have much of an appetite.
“If you say so doctor.” Blue shrugged her shoulders and looked away from the table, letting her eyes wander. The smile suddenly faded from her face she turned back around and started to blush madly, and she was running her hand through her hair.

“Do I look ok?” She asked, her cheeks still red.
“You look fine, why?” I asked looking over her shoulder. Just at the entrance was the brown haired brown-eyed cutie I had seen her with before. He was searching the dining area, holding a handful of long stemmed flowers. I looked away and grinned at Blue, “I’ll see you later.” I grinned at her and stood before she could say anything. I made my way over to the entrance.

“Hello.” I greeted him.
“Uh hi. You’re Blue’s friend right?” He asked.
I nodded my head, “Yeah my names Rory.”
“Jason.” He greeted and I held out my hand, he moved the flowers to the other hand and shook it. “Umm.” I lowered my voice and looked over my shoulder giving Blue a wink then turned back to Jason. “She’s over there.” I pointed over my shoulder he looked to where I pointed and nodded. “Thanks.” He grinned and I waved my hand dismissively.

I watched Blue bush when he handed her the flowers and gave her a kiss on the check. My smile slowly faded when I started thinking about Damien. I pushed open the doors and left without a backwards glance.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I pounded on the door and waited a few seconds before I pounded for a second time, and third. Finally I gave up waiting all together and pounded until finally the knob turned and the door swung inward. I almost fell forward onto Harvey who was watching me with raised eyebrows.

“Can I help you?” He asked.
“Uh.” I took a moment to regain myself, “Yes. You can actually.” He raised his eyebrows more, “Oh, right, I need to speak with Jessie, I know he’s in there so don’t try telling me he isn’t.” Harvey closed his mouth just as I said that, “So let me in.”

“It’s alright Harvey, let her in. I need to speak with her anyway.” I heard Jessie call from inside the room. Harvey sighed then moved aside and I stepped purposefully into the room. Jessie was sitting in a chair with his feet propped up, Harvey came and sat down in the chair across from him and picked up a mug of steaming coffee and started drinking where he left off.

“Come in, come in, and take a seat.” Jessie waved his hand to a seat. I sat. “Now, what did you want?” he asked putting down his own mug. Harvey watched me silently from his chair, almost like we was evaluating me.

I took my gaze away from him and let my eye’s remain on Jessie. Though it was a hard thing to do, Harvey had a hard stare. “I want…I want to see Damien.” I told them.
Jessie frowned, and Harvey’s stare faltered for a moment, “I thought I told you…he’s dead.” He said unsurely. I shook my head, “I know that. But I want to visit, where you buried him, I want to…say goodbye.” I sighed. I was biting back tears.

Harvey took his gaze to Jessie, waiting to see how we would answer. Jessie hesitated for a moment, “I’ll see what I can do.” He assured me.
“Thank you.” I breathed out the breath I had been holding.
“I to have something I would like to speak with you about.” I nodded my head, not trusting myself to speak, “I don’t know if you’ve heard, but in less than a month there will be a bonding ceremony.”
“Bonding ceremony?” I asked.

He nodded, “Yes. A time where the people of right age choose their mate for life.” He told me. I remembered Blue saying something of the ceremony, “What does this have anything to do with me?”

Jessie’s mouth twitched, “I will tell you.” He smiled slightly, “Under normal circumstances, since you are not one of us, you wouldn’t be a part of this ceremony. However…” he glanced to Harvey who continued for him.
“However it seems one of our own had taken interest in you.” He told me.
I turn my head to the side slightly, “Taken interest? What does that exactly mean?”

“I mean to say, he may want to bond with you.” Jessie said amused.
I stood up, “I’m not a part of your culture, or whatever weird traditions you have.” I told them both.
“That is what I said.” Harvey said turning to look at me, “However, I’ve watched you work in our infirmary. You care for us, and everyone here has taken a liking to you and whether you like it or not…or whether I agree…you have been adopted.”

“And if I don’t want to be adopted?” I demanded.
“Would you prefer prisoner?” Jessie asked.
My mouth dropped open, I looked from one to the other, “This has to be a joke.”
“There is good news.” Harvey told me as Jessie picked up his coffee, “The bonding ceremony may not be a choice, but choosing is.”

I raised an eyebrow, “What does that mean exactly?”
Harvey sighed, “The man that takes interest in you will announce you at the ceremony, you will be allowed to say, yes or no as to the decision. If you say no, then that’s that, and he must respect your decision. If you say yes than a family member or someone close must agree with the bonding from both sides.”

“So I get to choose?” I asked.
“Yes.” Jessie said.
“Then I say no.” I folded my arms.
They both laughed, “You can only say that for certain at the ceremony. And don’t be so sure, men try there hardest to woo the girls that they want before the ceremony so the girl will want to choose them.” I remembered Jason now, the drawing, the flowers, the kiss on her cheek. Blue had even said she thought he might be the one.

“For life?” I asked them.
“Yes, it’s…in our nature.” Jessie said carefully. I sighed, “Is that all you wanted?” I asked. “Yes you may go; I just wanted to warn you ahead of time. I will contact you when I make a final decision as far as Damien goes. Understood?” I nodded and he dismissed me.

Once out in the hall I slid against the wall and caught my breath. So much had happened in one simple day, I sneezed and took a tissue from my pocket and blew my nose. Suddenly I felt even worse.

I stood up onto shaky feet and slowly made my down the halls. I leaned against the walls for support, I felt as if my simple head cold had just turned flu-ish in less than a minute. I collapsed to the ground; I was too exhausted to go any further. I curled up into a ball and shivered. I was sweating a cold sweat, but my body ached with fever.

I don’t know how long I laid there for, it may have been hours, or only minutes but however long it was I felt someone touch my shoulder. “Rory?” I heard a voice call, I opened my eyes as my body shivered.

“Mason?” I croaked.
He smiled at me worriedly, “I’m here.” He touched my face, his hand felt so cold. “You’re burning up.” He said surprised and pulled his hand back quickly. “Come on.” His hands slid underneath me and he lifted me up. One hand around my shoulders the other was holding my legs. My head rolled against his chest and I fell asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
A nice long chapter for you all. Happy Easter!

Comments and Banners

_CORRI_