‹ Prequel: Rehab Romances

Execution Of The Enemy

Hehe.

I woke up in my bloodied clothes. I had a machine hooked up onto my hand and a few on other parts I was to lethargic to identify. My eyes shot open. I looked over and I felt intense pain in my neck. I saw Gerard lying in an identical hospital bed. I felt my eyes burn with tears. I looked across the room and saw Heather sitting in an armchair and a pack of ice held to her head, and a bandage wrapped around her forehead and her lower arm and hand, and a cast on her leg.
“What happened heather?” I croaked. She shot a glance at me and a huge smile of relief crossed her face.
“Oh thank god you’re alright. I thought I would loose you.” She said. She glanced at Gerard the relief left her face as quick as it came. She looked back at me and faked the smile back.
“I was an idiot Missy, it’s my fault you and Gerard are like this. I should have pulled over. I don’t know what I was thinking stopping in the middle of the road. I was too tired and sick that I didn’t realize that we could get hit. I’m so sorry.” She choked and held back tears. I could tell by how she finished that she wasn’t done talking. She glanced back at Gerard and back at me.
“It’s not your fault. It’s mine. I shouldn’t have brought you into this whole mess.”
“You don’t understand. Gerard might die.” She barley got it out, as she turned her and let tears flow. I just looked at her.
“He’s in an intense coma and he might not live through it. And if he does, he has a big risk of being paralyzed. He might go blind, or might not have memory or not be able to speak. I killed him Missy, I ruined his life by being selfish.”
“Heather…” I tried to say something to comfort her but nothing came to mind other than her name. As if he was supposed to come in, the nurse walked in.
“Oh, you’re awake.” She said, half hearted and smiled a fake smile.
“What happened Heather?” I asked again.
“Somebody hit us from the back, that’s why…Gerard is so badly in shape. The fact that he was asleep made it easier for him to get head trauma.”
“Nurse, do you know who we hit?”
“It was a boy and girl. The girl was driving, she was going pretty fast. Your friend here, what was he doing that he got so beat up by the crash?”
“Well, We’ve been driving for a long time and he wanted to sleep for a while in the back so he fell asleep across the seat with no belt on.” Heather managed out before I could speak for her. I just shook my head and looked back at the nurse.
“Oh, well, let’s just hope he comes through.”