Status: Updates: As fast as I can.

You Are All That I Have

Chapter 6: Just to Make Things Worse

The doorbell rang.

"Audrey! Get in the closet! What are you doing?" Max screamed at me and pushed me into the closet.

"Ow Max!" I said running into a huge box in the back of the closet.

"Sorry! Gahh!" he said running to the door.

I hurried and shut the door to the closet. I sat and looked through the little slits in the door. I was so nervous that I would be discovered, and I was even more nervous to see Kris again.

"Ah, Marc, Kris. What's going on guys?" I heard Max say.

"You know, same old." Marc-Andre said.

I heard a thud. Someone must've sat down on the couch. Then there was a sigh.

"Kris, you okay?" Max asked.

"I guess so. I just can't stop thinking about this girl. She's amazing, but I'll probably never see her again."

I smiled at this. He had no idea what was in store for him.

"Girl? What girl?" Marc asked playing dumb.

"Well, you remember Audrey, from the game? It's her. We dated back in high school and then when I got drafted into the NHL.." he paused and sighed.

"I could tell you two had some kind of history." Max said quietly.

Kris let out a breath. "She probably hates me. I wasn't very nice to her when I broke up with her. I don't even know why I did. She's a great girl, and I'm pretty sure she'd actually come to my games, and enjoy hockey - unlike Amy. I wish I could see her again."

There was silence. I was so happy I couldn't contain myself. I let out a small giggle and quickly covered my mouth.

"Shit." I breathed.

"What was that?" Through the cracks I saw Kris stand up and look in my direction.

Max coughed "Oh that was just me."

"That was really weird Max." Kris said and laughed.

I breathed a sigh of relief. Good one, Maxy.

The boys began to watch TV. It was so boring stuck in that closet. I wanted to run to Kris and tell him how amazing he was. I wonder if Max would mind.. I shook my head. Max didn't matter. This was business. I was here for Kris. I should be dying at the chance to touch him, see him or talk to him.

After an hour my leg began to cramp up. I decided I couldn't take sitting any longer and stood up. My leg felt weird to stand up on. I tried to move around and stretch it out, but it was a bit cramped in the tiny closet. I went to turn around and stretch my leg, but I lost my balance. I frantically tried to grab a hold of anything that would keep me from falling over, but it was too late. I slammed into the door of the closet, which proceeded to open, leaving me laying on the floor.

"Shit! No!" I whispered angrily and closed my eyes.
For a moment I thought of the childish idea "If I can't see them, they can't see me".

I heard Marc whisper "Oh no"

"Aud- Audrey?" Kris said and I forced my eyes open.

"Oh, there it is!" I said standing up pretending that I found an earring. "I was just looking for my earring.. I thought I dropped it in the closet.. but I found it now so.. um.. yay." I laughed nervously.

Kris looked at me like I had two heads. "What.. What are you doing here?"

"Oh.. I was.. um.. on holiday! Yes, mm. I thought I'd come and take a vacation to Pittsburgh." I said putting on a believable smile.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Max hit himself in the forehead.

What did he want me to say? I paniced!

"Vacation.. in Pittsburgh? ...Right." Kris said shaking his head. "Why are you really here, and in Max's house?"

"Uh... um.. Well you see, I-"

"Audrey and I are dating." Max said cutting me off.

I gave him a shocked/disgusted look. WHAT DID HE JUST SAY??

He then put his arm around me. "Yeah, we were going to keep it on the down low for a while, but I think now we're going to make it public. Isn't that right, Honey?"

I snapped back into character, although not quite sure what Max was doing. "Oh yes, dear. Public." I said with a coy smile.

I could visably see Kris' heartbreak. It was all I could to not run over to him. The problem was, why? Why was I doing this? Why was I not running to him, telling him I love him?

"Oh. That's- That's great. I'm happy for you." Kris said after several minutes of silence. He didn't look up at either of us. "I think I'm just going to go now. I'll see you later Marc."

He slumped off and out the door.

Marc-Andre stared at the two of us. "You two have some explaining to do."

I looked at Max. "Don't ask me, I wasn't planing this! What the hell was that Talbot?"

"What? I thought it was a nice save. I mean who goes to Pittsburgh on "holiday", honestly?" Max said putting his hands up.

"Couldn't you see that you saying we were dating hurt Kris? I'm disgusted with myself." I said sitting on the couch.

Marc sat down next to me. "I'm sure it'll be okay."

Max stared at the two of us. "Don't you guys understand what I'm doing? Audrey, making you unavalible will make Kris want you even more."

I shrugged. "I don't know, Max. What if he does something none of us expect? It could make this worse for everyone..."