Do It By Hand

Classic Cars

He was doing it on purpose, not calling me like he said he would. I had told Gordan who I had met, and he did indeed feel stupid for not recognizing him. Then became jealous, because he was hoping that he was gay. I sighed trying not to stare down my phone, then I realized it wasn't going to happen. So I decided to take precautions in forgetting about my encounter with Conor Oberst. Of course that decision was shattered to pieces as my phone rang.

"Hello?" I said in a low voice, because the number was new to me. But mainly because I didn't want to sound as though I had been waiting on his call.

"Hello, is this Lola?" I voice said on the other end, and my stomach dropped out of my throat.

"What do you want Ashley?"

"Come into work, please." she pleaded, after about 5 minutes I agreed. And quickly got dressed, my mother was dead asleep in her room. And my father was nowhere to be found So I left a note on the television, knowing that's where my dad would spot anything. Especially if it's in the way of his football. I grabbed my keys, and started for the door. But a knock stopped me, I opened, it was probably Cody, who hadn't learned how to just walk in yet.

"You don't have to kno-" I was stopped short.

"I don't?" Conor smirked with one eyebrow raised.

"I-uh-thought you were my friend." I said as the air seemed to become scarce in my lungs.

"What are you doing today?" he said, nonchalantly leaning on the post on my porch. I had closed my front door, and locked the door.

"Well, I just got called into work." I laughed despite the situation.

"Well, call back out."

"I'm a starving student." I shrugged.

"What time do you have to work until?" he chuckled at my statement.

"8:00 or so, hey, how did you find out where I live?"

"I have stalker ways." he smiled. "So you're not doing anything after you get off work?"

"Not that I know of." I smiled edging towards my car.

"How about knowing that a cute squirrelly looking guy wants to take you out after you get off work?" he said in a lower voice, that did things to my insides.

"That's a nice thought to keep in the back of my brain while I'm at work." I grinned despite myself.

"I'll call you at 8:00 then." he smiled, and turned and walked to his car. I did the same, hoping that it was ridiculously busy at my job.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately, it was in fact very busy at my job. I was running back and forth between departments. I felt like I could lay down anywhere and go to sleep. My manager told me that I was fine for me to not stay until close. I realized that it was 8:30, and I had 1 missed call. That was enough for me to have energy for at least 24 more hours. I quickly redialed the foreign number, it didn't even ring for full tone.

"Lola, I thought you said 8:00." his voice came through on the other end.

"It was super busy, and I didn't pay attention to the time." I sighed as I had started stripping in my car. I've had to live out of my car for almost a year because of school. So I had plenty of changes of clothes, most of them simple dresses that looked fine wrinkled. They were also low cut enough to where you didn't notice my wrinkles.

"I see, well how far is your job from your house?" he seemed to be smiling, he could probably hear the shuffling in the background.

"20 minutes." I said through bobby pins, pinning up my hair into a messy french twist.

"Do you know where the park is?"

"I live here don't I?" I chuckled as I started my car.

"Nice answering my question with a question. See you there." I heard the smile in his voice. I sped out of the parking lot, not that it would take me that long to get there, there was hardly any traffic. And the park was basically in the center of town, which meant it was about 10 minutes away from everything. I pulled up to the park, Conor was already there, leaning against his car. It made my stomach do a flip, I pulled on a half sweater since it was too early to play the cold card.

"You wore that to work?" he smirked noticing my change in attire.

"No, I live out of my car."

"Prepared for anything." his smirk was still there.

"I'm a starving student." I stated, and he started to laugh.

"What?"

"Nothing, you don't look like a starving student. What's your major?" he said

"Music." I said, watching him as he shifted down a little bit. So I could lean on his car with him.

"What's your instrument?" he said perking up,

"Voice." I grinned, here came the zinger,

"Really? So do you want to do classical, or what?" they always asked that.

"Opera mainly."

"Wow, sing for me?" he smiled.

"Oh, I can't do that."

"Why is that?" he said leaning closer.

"Well, then I'd become irresistible. And I don't want to hurt you." I chuckled, but his face stayed serious.

"Fair enough, but you've already got the irresistible part covered. So sing." he grinned back, making my pulse race. I couldn't really say no to that, I sang an excerpt of a song called Bist Du Bei Mir.

"What does that all mean?"

"Look it up." I grinned, as he mock pouted. It was more of a frown,

"Are you hungry?" he sighed realizing he was indeed going to have to look it up. Or just forget about it.

"Yes." as if on cue, my stomach made the worst rumbling noise ever. He began to laugh, and walked me around to the passenger side of his car. Opening the door, and then closing it behind me.

"I know this great little place." he smiled as he started his car.

"I hope they have a lot of food." I smirked, and he began to laugh again.