Love in Cold Blood

Chapter 13: Family

Chapter 13: Family

“A la tua what?” I asked, I never heard of this before. “What does that mean?”
“a la tua cantante,” explained Alice “Is a person who’s blood is more tempting, it smells better, to a certain vampire than anyone else’s. You’re harder for Jasper to resist.”
“Harder?” I asked “Wouldn’t it be normally hard for anyone of you to resist me, anyone? But to make it harder for him, do I hurt him?” Does simply being by me hurt?
A smile crossed over Alice’s face. She leaned in. “Winnie, the only thing about you that could hurt Jasper is you not being near. Don’t worry about it.”
“But he ran away.” I said “Was it too hard for him to smell me? To be near?”
“I thought he explained this.” Said Alice exasperated
“He did, kinda. I don’t understand it all.”
“Winnie, he ran away because he was disgusted with himself, not you. That’s how I know for sure he loves you.”
I didn’t understand.
“Well,” Alice began “Out of all of us, I think he was the only one that never didn’t want to be a Vampire. The happiest with what he has. Rosalie especially hates being a vampire, Edward wanted to be human when he met Bella, Carlisle was so disgusted with himself he tried to kill himself numerous times! But never Jasper.”
She looked at me. “But yesterday he was so horrified that you knew he wasn’t human, he wished so much to be like you. It’s unimaginable.”
“He loves me.”
“Yes he does. All of us love you.”
“So none of you mind that I know?” I asked
“None.”
To my embarrassment my stomach rumbled.
“It’s so funny being around someone who eats!” exclaimed Alice “You’d think I would have gotten used to it with Bella.” She dragged me towards the stairs. “Bella is just about to eat breakfast. We’ll get you something too then you can go home!”
As we walked down the stairs, I suddenly realized I had no idea how to react to seeing the rest of the Cullens or how to act around them with Jasper. Did they know Jasper and I were “together”? Apparently so because once I stepped of the last stair Jasper was there, standing next to me him arm around my waist. No one else looked surprised except Edward who had a slightly impish look on his face. I blushed red as I remembered what he could do, read minds.
“I see you’re awake.” Said Esme her face practically glowing as she looked at me and Jasper. “We have some food over here for you.” She showed me to a seat at their big table next to Bella who was eating. There was an already full plate of pancakes and a glass of milk. I sat down next to Bella who gave me a warm smile as if to say, “Welcome into the family, I know how you feel.”
I began to eat, it was delicious, and I felt I look on my face. I looked up. There was Jasper watching me eat. I realized he hadn’t spoken to me since I woke up. I pondered this as I ate and when I was finished I stood up.
“Thank you so much for the meal.” I said to Esme. “And everything.” I said this to everyone. “Anytime.” Said Emmett “If every time you come over we get to fight with a bunch of morons, come over almost every day. Almost, even I need a break!” He began laughing. Rosalie stepped on his foot and almost everyone glared. Bella looked shocked. I didn’t care. For him this was natural. I began to laugh. “Sure Emmett.” I said “But next time I’d like to be left out. I guess that means more for you!” I laughed again Emmett gave me a broad smile. He turned to Jasper and said “Nice choice my brother, I like this one. Good thing she didn’t die!”
To this Jasper stiffened and everyone glared at Emmett. I shocked them again by smiling. I felt Jasper relax. “Right back Atcha!” I said to Emmett “Good thing you didn’t die whenever you were supposed to, this just wouldn’t be so fun.”
He smiled “’Round 1946, I got mauled.”
“By a bear?” I asked “So all this hunting is like a revenge act? Bringing down bears?”
This set off another roar of laughter.
“Let’s go.” Said Jasper
I was stunned again by his voice. Though I was worried, was he mad at his brother? I turned to look at his face. Only good humor there and a heart-stopping smile.
“Your mother will get worried.”
I looked at the clock on the far side of the room. 10:30
“Oh, yeah, I got to go.” I gave one last smile to the Cullens “See you soon?”
“Come back anytime.” The Doctor invited.
I waved and Jasper and I departed.
We got into Edward’s Volvo and were heading back home when Jasper asked “Emmett didn’t creep you out? At all?”
“No, it’s just Emmett.” I looked up at his brilliant face “Makes sense.”
This caused a smile to break across his face, then a look of contemplation. “I wonder..” He began.
“What?”
“I wonder,” He resumed “If you would be disgusted by my past?”
“Your past?” I looked into his eyes. “Of course not. I’m actually very curious…”
“Even if I’m not as…” He looked for the right word “As civilized as I am now?” He questioned.
“Of course not.” Was my quick answer as he pulled up onto my driveway. I saw no other cars except mine. “My parents aren’t here.”
“Would you like for me to stay until they come?” He gave me the option
“Of course!” I looked at him “Would you mind telling me your story then?”
He laughed “So you really are curious?”
I nodded.
When we had walked into the kitchen I saw a note on the counter.
Dear Winifred,
Your father is at the hospital. Working. Your Aunt is hurt and needs my help. She fell down the stairs and broke her leg. I’m having your father look at it then I’m going to drive Shelly home and I’ll be back as soon as she is situated. Love you so much!
XOXO Mom
“My Aunt broke her leg, nothing serious.” I explained to Jasper who was leaning against the counter. “Mom probably won’t be back for a few hours.” I looked at Jasper, he hadn’t moved. “What’s wrong?”
“Nothing. Do you want to hear my tale?” He had a slightly nervous look on his face.
“Yes.” I said “Is that what you’re worried about? It can’t be too bad!”
He gave me a look. “Come on!” I exclaimed as I drug him along to my room. Once there I plopped onto the bed.
“Is this your room?”
“yes,” I said as I looked around the room. It was a light gray but filled with skeleanimals, corpse bride, The nightmare before Christmas and Band posters.
He laughed as he caught sight of a certain poster. I followed his gaze to it. It was an “An Interview with a Vampire” movie poster.
“Anne Rice, nice.”
I blushed. “Get on with the story.”
“Are you sure?” He cautioned me.
“Yes.”
“Well,” He began “I was born in 1844 in Houston, Texas. At the age of 17 I joined the war.”
“The war?” I asked
“Yes.” He confirmed “the Civil War. I was a pretty good soldier and, I went up ranks fast till I became a Major. At the Battle of Galveston I was in charge of moving the women and children away from the city. On my way back..” He looked at me “I met some women, vampires; basically they decided to change me.”
“That’s how..?” I began
“Yes.”
“That wasn’t so bad.”
“I haven’t even gotten to the bad part. You see,” He continued “At that time the vampires of the south were part of a war too, but this was a blood war. Different vampire covens were trying to take over cities. They did this so they could have the most people...”
“To feed on.” I finished for him. “I think I understand why.”
“Really?” He asked surprised “You know why the vampires were fighting over cities and land?”
“Yes, I did take history. They wanted population dense areas to control so they could kill the most people.”
“Correct.” He confirmed my logic.
“So I was fighting for these women, I became an asset for them, I could control their weapons, new born vampires. Vicious little things. So basically,” I could tell he was editing, “ We fought and won and then some people of mine decided they had enough, left, came back and I followed them. I then met Alice who took me to the Cullens and here we are.”
“So, when you were fighting, you drank human blood?” I could tell he didn’t want to answer that.
“Yes.”
“And now you drink the blood of animals?” He was happier to answer that.
“Yes.”
“Why?”
“Why what?” He asked confused “I drank human blood then because…”
“No, why do you drink the blood of animals now?” I corrected him
He looked shocked. “I mean,” I explained “It made sense for you to drink human blood, we are your prey like cows are ours and fish are eagle’s et cetera.”
That really threw him for a loop.
“I don’t want to kill anyone, I think of humans as equals.”
“Oh,” I got that one. “Equals, that makes all the difference. If you don’t think of us as below you, as prey then it makes sense for you not to hunt us.”
He had a mysterious look on his face.
“You are such a weird girl.” Whispered he “I know!” I responded cheerfully which made him laugh. “Maybe that’s why I like you.”
“Better be!” I added jokingly “‘if you don’t like the worst of me, you don’t deserve the best of me.’” I quoted
“Do I?” he asked in a husky voice “Do I deserve you?” He laid his lips on my neck.
I shivered. “Yes.”
He moved his lips slowly from my neck onto my check, sliding them to the corner of my mouth were he stopped. He lifted his face and smiled. He dropped his lips onto mine. He was so gentle, so soft. Well, as soft diamond could be. He rapped his arms around my waist as I tangled my fingers into his blonde hair. He laughed as I crushed myself against his hard, cold body and began kissing him back.
“I really love you.” He whispered and he slid my arms of from around his neck.
“Then kiss me more!” I demanded as my air came in rough gasps
“Sorry darling, but first, this is getting dangerous I don’t want to lose control and second, I can feel your mother’s emotions. She’ll be here soon. I have to move my car and leave, unless you want to introduce me?”
I was wondering as he gave a small chuckle and said “another time then” gave me a soft kiss and dashed down the stairs with a “see you tomorrow.”
Five minutes after he left, I heard a soft purr of a car and my mother calling up “Freddy, are you home?”
I walked down stairs to my mother. “How’s Aunt Shelly?”
“She’s fine.” Explained my mother as she took off her coat. “It’ll heal fine. How was your sleepover with Alice?”
“Wonderful.”
That was an understatement.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'll update again soon! (I updated as soon as I found that someone has read every chapter!) Well, pretty much, i haven't checked in a while...