Love in Cold Blood

Chapter 19: Dinner

Chapter 19: Dinner

“A trail?” I asked bumping into the car in the dark. “How the heck am I supposed to hike in the dark?” I grabbed onto his shirt to keep from tripping.
“I know the way, don’t worry.” He assured me “I’ll run you to the spot just hold on.” He grabbed me by the hips and held me to his chest bridal style. “Ready?” he asked
I nodded and soon I felt the cool, dark night air zoom past my face. He was running, fast. He felt faster than a car. Suddenly he stopped.
“We’re here.” He whispered “You see the light right?”
“Yes.” I whispered. Coming from the trees up ahead I saw a faint glow of light. I followed the light until I pushed aside a few branches and stepped into a round meadow.
It was smaller than the field behind their house but, still large. It appeared to be a perfect circle. The high arching branches every few feet held a metal candlestick holder with a lit white candle. I walked toward the middle of the meadow where a white lace table cloth was spread onto the ground holding a pick-nick basket.
“Do you like it?” asked Jasper sitting down across from me on the blanket.
“Of course!” I said “But, I never new you were a romantic.”
“I guess I am.” He laughed “Would you like dinner? I made it myself; I hope it doesn’t taste too bad.”
I laughed as he dished me out chicken and gnocchi in a cream sauce, a salad and a glass of Ginger Ale. I tasted it.
“Wow!” I exclaimed “This tastes wonderful.” And it did, it tasted better than half the restaurants I’ve been to.
“Where did you learn to cook if you can’t taste?” I asked
“Well,” he said embarrassed “I watched a couple of television shows and had Bella help taste for me.”
“This from a few Emerils?” I wondered “I should watch The Food Network more often.”
We talked and laughed and, when I had finished eating laid down in the soft grass to look at the stars.
“The Big Dipper.” I said pointing to the night sky.
“Little Dipper, Orion’s Belt.” He added “Aries, Pisces…”
“Where’s Pisces?” I asked turning to him.
“Right there.” He pointed up. I followed his finger until I found the fish.
“You’re good at this!” I laughed
“The stars are the only constant.” He murmured “All these years go by but, they never change. They still look the same be it 1850 or 2000.”
“It must be strange.” I asked “Seeing all the people change, the culture, the technology…”I drifted off
“It is.” He said sitting up in a grim voice. “But the one this that changed for the good,” he said smiling “Women’s fashion.” He chuckled
“Of course.” I said “No high-necked long skirt dresses for you, cowboy. Jean mini skirts and camis!” I laughed
We laid down laughing over the funny changes of the times. Hooters, Convertibles, Bikinis, Hair gel, full indoor plumbing. I had to admit, I didn’t know how they dealt without the last one.
“Are you ready to go?” He asked standing up. “It’s getting late.”
“I guess.” I sighed brushing the dirt off my pants.
He put all the plates and glasses back into the basket and as swift as lighting, ran around the clearing blowing out and gathering all the candles.
“Jasper?” I asked staring into the dark “Where are you?”
“I’ll be right back.” Came a voice from the dark “I just need to put these back into the car.
I felt a light breeze as he ran away. I continued to stare into the dark. Somewhere a wolf howled.
“Jasper?” I asked again. He seemed to be gone forever though; it could have just been a few seconds.
All of a sudden I felt cold arms weave around my waist. I would have screamed if my mouth hadn’t been muffled by his lips. I heard him chuckle.
“On edge, Winnie?” He asked
“Only because you left me!” I said pummeling his chest, blushing deep.
“Are you ready?” he asked
“Just get me back into the car.” I grumbled
He laughed as he held me to his chest and in seconds we were back by the trail marker. I assume, he stopped but I could see in the dark.
“It’s so unfair you can see in the dark.” I complained
“Oh, but you have much, much more.” Said Jasper
“Like what?” I asked
“Warmth.” He whispered as he kissed me and opened the car door.
I jumped into the car, my eyes squinting at the sudden light.
He drove me back to my house holding my hand.
“How was today, as a whole?” He asked smiling
“Better than you could imagine.” I laughed
“Oh, I could imagine more.” He said as he stopped his car outside my house.
He reached over the seats and grabbed my face bringing it to his. He kissed me, needingly, almost greedy. He moved his lips over mine, stroking my face. I reached behind his head and weaved my fingers into his golden locks. I welded myself to his hard figure and he was holding me so tight his lips drifting closer to my neck, then he froze.
His eyes were wide as he separated us. “I’m sorry.” He whispered “I went too far, I probably ruined everything.” He frowned “I’m too likely to get carried away…”
I bento over and kissed his cheek. “I kinda like you like that.” I whispered mischievously
“That’s dangerous.” He frowned
“Maybe I like danger.”
He raised one eyebrow. “You’re afraid of the dark.”
“No I’m not!” I blushed
“You should go inside, you’re parents are getting nervous.”
“Bye.” I said as I left my seat. Before I shut the door I looked in at the brilliantly gorgeous man sitting there. “You made my day even better.” I whispered “Good night.”
I walked inside and floated upstairs to my room and shut the door. I sighed as I took a shower and changed out of my clothes. On top of my bed I looked to the night stand and stroked the picture of Jasper and I in a frame. I smiled and fell into a deep sleep.