Status: Slowly Active

Shake the Glitter

Roller Coaster Ride

Ashley sat on the edge of Mia's bed and toyed with the thick raven curls of her hair while Mia downed her second potion of the day. This one was supposed to rejuvenate her energy and replenish her health. The first potion she took didn't take to Mia's body too well.

Mia scrunched up her face, tossing the small bottle in the trash bin beside her bed. "That stuff is pure evil, I swear. It tastes like dragon droppings."

Ashley laughed. "And how would you know what that tasted like?"

"I wouldn't." Mia grinned. "But if I did, then, it would probably taste just like that rubbish."

"Mia, that rubbish is keeping you healthy."

"So? I could do just fine without it."

"Oh, really?" Ashley rose her eyebrows, smiling, as she removed the damp hair that clung to Mia's forehead. She frowned. "Are your parents coming today?"

Mia nodded, lacing her fingers together. "At noon."

"What do you think they'll do?"

"I don't know, Ash."

"Do you think they'll let you stay?"

"I don't know." Mia sighed. "I don't want to go home. Mom will probably send me off to some clinic where they treat girls like me. Dad will more than likely lecture me and banish all visitors for the rest of my life. If I stay here, I'll get tormented for being so stupid and... I just don't know anymore."

"No one will make fun of you, Mia."

"Oh, no?" Mia scoffed. "You don't think people will laugh at me? Call me names?" Mia rolled her eyes as she turned on her side, avoiding Ashley's stare. "I didn't ask for any of this, you know."

"Mia--"

"No. I don't feel like talking anymore."

"But--"

"Miss Lanston?" Madame Pomfrey came walking through the doors; A pudgy middle aged man with thinning hair and a woman with cheekbones impossibly high trailing behind her. Neither of them looked pleased. "Your parents are here to see you. I'll go fetch the Headmaster."

Ashley stepped away from the bed to let Mr. and Mrs. Lanston crowd around it. Mr. Lanston crossed his arms, shaking his head, while Mrs. Lanston bit her bottom lip and narrowed her eyes. Mia looked down at her lap as her mother opened her mouth, ready to scold her.

Ashley cleared her throat, gaining the attention of the fuming woman. She rose her eyebrows, pursing her lips. "Oh, Ashley. I didn't see you there."

"Hello, Mrs. Lanston."

Mrs. Lanston pointed to Mia. "Did you know about this?"

"No, ma'am." Ashley shook her head. "I only found out about it yesterday."

"Do you know who is responsible?" Mr. Lanston looked as if he were ready to curse someone. He bit the inside of his cheek as Ashley fumbled with her fingers. "Anyone? Come on, give us a name. It's not that hard."

"Uhm... " Ashley glanced at Mia. Mia mashed her lips together, pleadingly. Ashley sighed. "No, sir."

Mrs. Lanston rolled her eyes. "I knew she would be a bad influence. That Quille family is all the same; especially that mother of hers. No good liars are what that family is."

Mia's eye shot up to Ashley's face. Ashley lowered her gaze and backed up to the wall, ignoring the new comers to the room. Footsteps filled the silence of the room and Ashley felt the need to leave. She was aimlessly wandering the hall when she felt someone grip the top of her arm.

"I need to speak with you, Quille."

Ashley sighed. "Not now, Malfoy."

"Yes. Now." He pulled her into an empty classroom and shut the door. Turning around, he arched an eyebrow as he advanced on her. "Why did you call me that last night?"

"Call you what?"

"My name."

"Your name?" Ashley asked, confused. "I always call you Malfoy. What? Do you want me to start calling you ferret boy instead?"

"No," Malfoy smirked. "Not my last name... "

"Then, what--" Ashley's face dropped as she recalled the memories from last night. Before she left, she had called him Draco. "Oh... "

"See?" His smirk widened.

"And?" Ashley moved to pass him, but his arm shot out in front of her, blocking her way. "What do you want, Malfoy?"

"I want to know why."

"Why, what?" Ashley huffed.

"Why you called me Draco."

"That is your name, isn't it?"

"Yes," Malfoy rolled his eyes, pushing her up against the wall. "But you don't call me that. Why did you?"

Ashley flushed from his sudden closeness. "I don't know. Accident?"

"Nope." Malfoy placed his hand on the small of her back, pulling her to his chest. "You'll have to do better than that, Ashley."

Just when he was about to dip his head down, a disturbance from the hallway knocked him out of it. The door opened and the room was flooded with light. Malfoy nearly growled when he saw who was responsible.

"Oh, there you two are. I've been looking all over for you two." Professor McGonagal smiled, ushering them out. "Now, the Headmaster has decided that the school is to have a ball in two weeks to celebrate the start of a new year here at Hogwarts."

"How does that involve us?" Malfoy snapped.

"I'm getting to that, Mr. Malfoy." McGonagal smiled politely. "As I was saying, the Headmaster has decided to throw a ball. Now, since you two have been serving detention together for three days now and have managed to go as long without a trip to his office, he thought it prudent to have you two represent good civilized relationships between Houses."

"Wait," Ashley frowned. "You mean--"

"Go with each other, Miss Quille. Yes."

"But, what if I don't want to go with him, Professor? I don't like--"

"I'm sorry, Miss Quille, but this is final. You will go with young Mr. Malfoy and set an example for this school."

Malfoy sighed. "When is this ball?"

"The 23rd. I suggest you two spread the word. With this school, you may not have to."

Professor McGonagal disappeared around a corner, leaving the two alone once again. Malfoy glanced over at Ashley and smirked, casually slinging his arm over her shoulder. "So. I guess this means I'm your date."

"Yeah," Ashley mumbled. "Don't enjoy it."

"Oh, I won't." Malfoy laughed. "It's you who should be worrying about that."

"I won't."

Malfoy shrugged. "Still. You've got to worry about something."

"What?"

"Pansy. She's not going to be pleased with this."

With that said, Malfoy took off down the hallway, winking at Ashley before he completely disappeared. Ashley felt the bubbling feeling in her stomach and frowned, not quite knowing what that meant. She couldn't possibly have a crush on Draco Malfoy... Could she? No... That just wasn't possible.

Fire and Ice don't mix.

Besides, she was probably just nervous about going with him, anyway. Sure. But, then... Why was she nervous?
♠ ♠ ♠
As promised, here's the new longer update. I wasn't sure where to take it after the last update, so I brought you all to this point. I hope everyone's happy with the direction this story is going. I just wanted to say a quick thanks to all the people who commented the last couple of chapters -- bff.till.life, A Change of Marybeth, Four.Sided.Triangle., dragongirl142, Smiley.Butterfly, ria, ClaireBear67, Katy_The_Ghost, and Mikey Mayhem. Thank you guys! It really means a lot that you support me by commenting and letting me know how I'm doing. Maybe someone will make me a banner? Hmm? Just putting that out there... I cannot make banners to save my life. And, thank you for getting me to 10 stars!!

Anyways, thanks for reading and, please, don't forget to comment!

xoxo - Meg.