Status: Slowly Active

Shake the Glitter

All I Need

Ashley let herself fall back against the cool brick wall for the fifth time that night. Her eyes were blurry and bloodshot along with her tear-stained cheeks. Her fingernails dug themselves into the palm of her hand slowly, straining each prick. Her chest heaved with every breath she took, tearing its way up her throat like a thick, solid icicle clawing at her raw muscle.

“Damn it,” she murmured, wrapping her arms around her svelte waist. She let her head loll to the left as she collapsed to the floor. “Goddamn it, Malfoy.”

Never in her short seventeen years of existence has a boy had this sort of effect on her. But, then again, she had never been this close to Draco Malfoy to know how it’d affect her. Or, let the thought creep into her skull. Maybe it was wrong to want to burst into the Slytherin Common Room to see if he was just as miserable as she was. Maybe it was unlawful to have every thought that coursed through her mind be about him.

Maybe… This was what love felt like.

“Ash?”

Ashley jolted from the floor, spinning on her heel away from the voice to wipe the tears from her face. She sniffled quickly before clearing her throat. “Yes?”

“Oh,” Hermione rounded the corner, smiling brightly, only to have it wiped from her face as soon as her murky eyes landed on the trembling, frail girl in front of her. “Ashley?” She called, hurrying quickly to her friend’s side. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing, Hermione.” Ashley mumbled. “I’m fine.”

“No, you’re not.”

“I am. I only stubbed my toe. No need to worry.”

“Stubbed your toe?” Hermione mocked. Her eyes traveled down to Ashley’s feet, only to discover that they were both planted firmly on the ground; Unharmed. “What’s wrong, Ash? Lately, you’ve been so distant and, frankly, it worries me.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, this for starters.” Hermione gestured to Ashley’s current position; Hunched over, against the wall and a puffy face. “Something’s not right, here.”

“I’m fine, Hermione.” Ashley mumbled. She ran the sleeve of her robe over her nose and let out a shaky breath. “Seriously.”

“Don’t lie to me, Ashley Quille.” Hermione warned. “I’ve known you since first year and not once have you acted like this. Honestly, I’m appalled at your behavior. You’re acting like a rotten child.” Hermione sighed, wrapped her fingers around Ashley’s wrist, and pulled her down beside her on the couch. She gently brought her hand up and brushed the remaining tears away with her fingertips. “I just wish you’d talk to me.”

Ashley bit her lip, fumbling with her fingers. “I don’t want you to laugh at me.”

“Laugh at you? Why would I do that?”

“Because,” Ashley groaned. “It’s sort of embarrassing.”

“Embarrassing?” Hermione mirrored. “Nothing that can upset one of my friends this much would make me laugh. Now, please, tell me, Ash.”

“I’m not sure if I can even talk about.”

“Try,” Hermione pleaded. “Only try, and if you can’t, then stop. I promise I won’t think any differently of you, Ashley.”

“Promise?” Ashley questioned. She watched feebly as Hermione nodded and inhaled deeply to work up the gall to say it aloud. Those two words must be the hardest words that ever slipped away from her tongue. “Draco Malfoy.”

“Malfoy? What does he have to do with this?”

“Everything,”

“Did he do something to you?”

”Hermione, please.”

“No,” Hermione argued. “If he hurt you at all, then I’ll teach him a lesson. He’s not getting out of this one too easily.”

“Hermione, stop.” Ashley begged. She brushed some hair out of her face and nibbled on the inside of her cheek. “He didn’t hurt me… He just made me realize something, that’s all.”

“Realize what?”

Ashley shook her head and bit down hard on her tongue as she felt her eyes getting wet, again. She glanced at Hermione through the curtain her hair made and tried desperately to stabilize her erratic heartbeat. She opened her mouth and prepared herself for the worst. “That I love him.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the long wait! I had been sick most of last week and when I finally got back to school, I had a bunch of make-up work from a lot of my teachers. I hope this makes up for it. Thanks for being so amazing with me and not pressuring me to hurry up and get an update out! I love you, readers.

Thanks for reading and, please, don't forget to comment.

xoxo - Meg.