Just Hate Me and We'll End It Here

Stupidity

Alex

This girl is weird. And awesome. I love it.

No germophobic, weee…. I grin at her. “You don’t mind germs, then?” I lean forward, putting my chin in my hands, looking at her.

She steps back, looking a little uncertain. “Um, not really, no…”

“So you won’t mind if I do this?” I wiggle my eyebrows, lean waaaay forward and I lick her cheek!

She shrieks, jumping farther back, spilling some cereal, and starts rubbing hard at her cheek. “I can’t believe you did that! Ew, you licked me?! That is so nasty, Gaskarth!” She shudders and keeps rubbing and makes gagging sounds.

“Aw, its not that bad,” I pout. “And I thought you tasted pretty good.”

She sends a very weird look my way. “Just- you know what? Don’t… don’t say that,” she crinkles her nose in a cute way before heading upstairs and shaking her head.

Aw, she left her food here. Her food is lonely. Come here food! Chuckling to myself lightly, I grab the bowl and dig in. Yummy cookies and milk… Greedily I eat it up and wonder if she’s actually mad at me.

I don’t think she is.

Peeved, perhaps…

Or definitely…

But not angry, not mad. Just… peeved. Annoyed.

Done with the food, I put the bowl in the sink and take a drink of water. Now I’ve got to be heading out… I job up the stairs, grabbing a hat and sunglasses along with my socks and wallet. Putting them all on, I knock on her door.

“What?” She calls.

“I’ve got to be going,” I tell her and cautiously open the door. She’s sitting Indian style on her bed, going through some papers. “We’ve got a small gig at Hot Topic that’s in the next town over, so it’s going to be a drive. I should be back as it gets dark, I think.” I pause. “Would… you like to come?” I offer tentatively.

She wears a small expression of surprise- but not bad surprise, I think. “Oh. Um…In Dalesville?” She asks, cocking her head thoughtfully.

“Yeah, their county mall,” I nod.

“I’ve got work,” she shakes her head. “But it’s not a late shift,” she begins hesitantly.

“See you there at three?” I ask hopefully.

Bailey looks at me for a long time, considering it. I can practically see her brain working, trying to figure it out. Just as my hopes are rising she shakes her head. “Nah. I’ve got more unpacking to do, too.” Then she just stares at me.

Oh… My shoulders slump.

“You should go,” she mutters and ducks her head, looking back at her papers.

“Right,” I mutter. “Later.” Somewhat depressed now, I leave her door open a little and head down. Sighing, I ruffle my hair.

Well, did I honestly expect her to suddenly start liking me? I mean, it’s Bailey, after all. Bailey, the girl who slapped me and usually wants nothing to do with me. I should be lucky she’s even being civil to me, I have to remind myself.

I’m going to have to keep reminding myself, I’m afraid.

“Why so serious?” Jack wiggles his eyebrows, fiddling with a pencil that he was trying to break in two. He sits across from me in the van, confused why I’m not laughing my head off at something or other.

Zack glances at me as he drives. “Oh, don’t tell me it’s her,” he says. “Or is it?”

I fiddle with my sunglasses. “Yeah,” I mumble.

“Girl trouble!” Jack squeals. “Sucks for you!”

I make a face at him as Zack speaks up. “What’d she do now?”

“That’s the problem!” I whine. “I don’t know! She’s just- I don’t know, you know? I mean, one moment she’s yelling at me. Then we’re kissing. Then she’s all quiet and weird or chasing me and now- I don’t know, she’s sullen or something!”

Quiet.

“She chased you?” Rian raises his eyebrow.

I give a small sheepish smile. “I woke her up early this morning.” Then I frown. “And I ran into the glass door.”

Jack bursts out laughing at my stupidity. Of course ignoring the fact that he does it on a regular basis. Heck, he’s even tried hopping into a convertible with the hood on. I see Zack in the rear view mirror rolling his eyes. Psh, it’s not like he knows women!

“So wait, what’s wrong right now?” Rian asks quizzically.

“I told you,” I mutter. “She went all sullen, or something. And I don’t think it’s cause I ate her cereal… maybe it was cause I licked her?”

Jack starts snickering at me and Rian gives me an odd look. “You ate her cereal and licked her? What are you, a dog?”

“Reminds me, I never got Georgie out. Hm,” I frown to myself. Should I call Bailey? Maybe I should. I mean, his food’s inside and everything…

“Alex! Focus!” Rian snaps, knocking on my head. “Explain everything.”

So, for the ride, I explain. I’m just finishing when I arrive, so nothing’s really said. Only Jack cheering me up and getting me hyper for the gig and signing that lasts for a while. We grab a snack and head out, worn out when it’s done. On the way back, though, Rian reminds us of the situation. “But I’ve got an idea,” he says. “Listen, how about…”