Status: Active! Two more chapters left...

Elena.

Us-33

Extremely wounded, Leverett gently pulled me up by my shoulders, which is a good thing too, since I would’ve have had the strength from the shock. He could barely stand up himself, but he firmly held me. I could barely see his face from the healing cuts, but he solemnly looked at me before he spoke.

“I’m sorry …that…I doubted you.” He choked, stroking my cheek, staining it with blood in the process. His eyes then went passed my shoulder, at Ryan as his face hardened.

“Leverett, let’s just-let’s just go, too many people have di-“ He kissed my forehead to silence me, but kept his eyes on Ryan. I then looked at him too, whose hurt could be seen under his expressionless mask as he looked away from us, jaw clenched.

“I have to talk to you,” Leverett began, addressing Ryan, this time sounding a lot stronger. Moving aside from the door, he gently took his hand to lead me out, but stayed befind himself. “Alone.” I was going to protest, but the door was locked and the last thing I saw was the glimmer in Ryan’s sad, light-green eyes.

LEVERETT’S POV

With the click of the door being closed, I picked up one of the overturned chairs and sat down. My side was burning, and I, and I’m sure Ryan could hear-my dislocated ribs realigning themselves at the moment. It wasn’t comfortable, to say the least.

I motioned him to sit as well. He stood where he was.

“Don’t question what I’m going to ask of you, but-“

“You aren’t going to kill me?” Ryan he asked casually, trying to sound fearless…I could see past that.

“There isn’t time to act like this. I need to ask you for something.”

“What makes you think I’ll do anything to help you?” He retorted, but his tone not nearly as overconfident as before.

“It’s the only way we’ll keep the girl we love alive.”

Ryan’s face fell, I knew this had caught him off guard, but there wasn’t enough time to ease him into what I was about to say, I knew that the moment I saw Mrs. Goodman escape from my hands with the help of shadow that it was only a matter of time that They would be after her again. Ryan let his legs give in as he sat on a chair, hunched over, fingers intertwined as his elbows rested on his knees...completely avoiding eye contact with me now.

“I’m listening.”

“Mrs. Goodman escaped, which means she’s still in danger. I have a house in the country where we’d stay for a year, if that, and-“

“What does that have anything to do with me?”

“I’m going to need you to take care of her after I’m gone, forever.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment! I lied, there's actually about three more chapters left. :)