Be Careful What You Witch For

Christmas vacation

The rest of the week went by fast. Wednesday after school I went over Jakes house and we watched The Covenant. Thursday after school Jake and Joey came over my house and they both helped me study for a upcoming math test. They way they helped made it so much easier for me. I might have aced it. Friday Eve told me she had to go over her Aunts house and Baby-sit her little cousins so our Friday afternoon hangout day was postponed.

Before I knew it, it was already December and Winter vacation. Wow those three months went by fast. I had a whole week to do absolutely nothing. Well, not really, of course my teachers gave me a handful of homework to complete, but I shouldn’t worry about that now I still have a week to do it! I couldn’t wait to spend my whole vacation with Jake and Joey. In the past three months us three became inseparable. Me and Joey were practically sisters. It was different between me and Jake though. Ever since that day he kissed my cheek I’ve been embarrassed by his presence. I always flushed when around him and he always noticed. He seemed amused by my reactions. Its pretty obvious I like him but I don’t know what his feelings are so I usually try to act like I’m not at all amazed by him.

I woke up early Thursday the day before Christmas Eve which was also my first day of vacation. I was to be home alone this whole week since my mom’s aunt is sick and she had to go all the way to California to take care of her. Joey, being as kind and caring as she is, invited me to sleep over her house this whole week so I wouldn’t have to be alone during Christmas. Let me tell you, her way of inviting me, didn’t involve my consent. It was pretty much, Mel, your sleeping over if you like it or not end of story. You got to love Joey.

I spent the whole day cleaning the house so I wouldn’t have to do it the day my mom comes come from California. I told Joey I would come over after dinner because I didn’t want to intrude on their dinner time.

After a grilled cheese sandwich I packed any clothing I could fit in my small backpack and anything else I needed and headed out across the street to Joey’s house. I rang the doorbell once and Jake opened the door.

“Hey Melanie.” when he said my name my heart skipped a beat. He reached over my shoulder and grabbed my backpack. “Let me take this, come on in.” He moved over so I can come in first, then he followed me.

Marcus and Ilianna, Jake's parents greeted me as Jake led me upstairs to Joey’s room. I placed my backpack on her bed and sighed.

“You will be sleeping here.” he patted the bed.

“That’s not fair, I should sleep on the floor this is Joey’s bed” I wasn’t about to let Joey sleep on the floor so I can take her bed.

Jake walked up to me with a smirk and leaned in close. “Do you really think Joey would have that?” he whispered in my ear “I wouldn’t want to be there when you told her that.” He laughed quietly and leaned away.

My head was spinning so much I thought my legs were going to give out and I would fall flat on my face. I bet he did that on purpose just to dazzle me. I shook my head and sighed heavily. I didn’t dare look at him afraid i would be locked in a gaze with his beautiful green eyes.

Jake laughed “Don’t worry, Ill be sleeping here too, it will be fun we already have a bunch of movies and a bag full of candy under the bed.”

I tilted my head “Your sleeping in here too?” I have never slept in the same room with a guy before. I felt my cheeks flush.

He nodded “Yep on the floor next to Jo.” Joey then walked into her room with a huge smile on her face.

“Melanie! You finally came! All right time to get this sleepover started!” She thought for a moment “Lets change into our pajamas first! Mel you can use the bathroom across the hall”

I grabbed my backpack and went to the bathroom. I changed into my red striped pajama pants and light green tank top. I combed my hair and braided it so it wouldn’t bother me. After I brushed my teeth I walked back to Joey’s room and saw Jake and Joey sitting Indian style on her bed waiting for me. Joey had blue striped pajamas with a cookie monster tee shirt and Jake wore green striped pajama pants and a black tee shirt. Even in Pajamas he looked absolutely amazing.

I walked over to the bed where they sat and hesitated before sitting on it. I yawned and laid back on the pillow.

Joey laughed “You cant be tired already! don’t make us wake you up!” she glanced at Jake and he smirked.

Jake leaned over next to me and picked me up and sat me on his lap. He smiled down at me “Go ahead Jo”

Joey giggled and started tickling me while Jake held my hands in his so I couldn’t do anything but move around and laugh.

“Okay I’m awake I’m awake!” I couldn’t take it anymore I’m a very ticklish person and they clearly had the advantage. This was going to be a long night.

Joey stopped tickling me and grabbed a box of movies from the floor “Okay lets watch…..ugh Mel you pick!” She pushed the box over to me.

I struggled to move away from Jakes hold but he wouldn’t let me go. He let go of my hands and kept one of his around my waist. I sighed and sat up so I was sitting sideways on his lap so I can look at the movies. “Umm… Harry potter!” I grabbed Harry Potter and the Goblet of fire once of my favorite movies.

Jake and Joey shook there heads. “I don’t even know why we have that movie” Joey said “Its terrible” I couldn’t understand why they didn’t like Harry Potter.

I looked threw the rest of the movies and found The Queen Of The Damned I have never seen it but I heard it was good. “How about this?” I tossed it at Joey and she smiled.

“Yeah! Lets watch this I want to see a scary movie!”

I gulped “Scary?” Jakes hold around me tightened.

“Don’t worry i will protect you.” He tilted his head to rest on my shoulder. I shivered. What is he doing? He’s holding me like were together and he doesn’t seem at all uncomfortable. Even though I felt I should move away from him, deep down I didn’t want to. His casual touch made me feel all warm inside so I stayed there and waited for Joey to start the movie.

*******
Four hours later I was fighting to stay awake. We finished The Queen Of The Damned and we started watching Underworld. Joey was laying flat on her stomach on the bed while Jake still sat Indian style with me in his arms. I rested my head on his shoulder and fell asleep.

I awoke two in the morning confused. I was still in Jakes arms and he was wide awake watching another movie. I stirred and he smiled at me. “I didn’t want to wake you , I was going to lay you down once I was ready for bed.”

“Oh.” I yawned still tired “Joey?” I asked looking for her she wasn’t on the bed anymore.

“She went to bed after Underworld" He removed his hand from my waist and let me get up.

I crawled out of his lap and sat on the bed. He closed the TV and looked at me. I was confused to why he turned it off but I couldn’t look away from his eyes. It was like I was imprisoned there. He freed me and lowered his glare to the necklace he gave me. I never took it off just like he asked me to.

He smiled his eyes shifting back to meet my gaze. “Shall I make things a little clearer for you?”
“What are you talking about?” I asked obviously confused.

“Don’t you want to know why I act the way I act around you?” Now I knew what he was getting at. The fact that he acts like he likes me but doesn’t say anything about it. The fact that he makes me feel like I matter to him and yet when I think he’s going to say something doesn’t say it. This is what I was waiting for all along. An explanation.

I nodded waiting patiently for him to continue.

“Melanie.” God I love it when he says my name. “The truth is…I care about you deeply. I don’t know how else to explain it. Ever since I first laid my eyes on you in that hallway when we bumped into each other. Its like I knew right then and there that you were the one. I’ve never felt this way before. I know it sounds stupid but I have never had a girlfriend. In Italy..” he paused thinking “..I was more of an indoors person , I never went to a club or a party that’s more like Josephine than me.” He stopped to place his hand in mine. “I feel lucky that I met you. You have no idea how you make me feel, Melanie. In all my life, I have never had this feeling. Its as if I never had a heart to begin with, but you just proved me wrong, my heart is definitely here.” he placed our intertwined hands against his chest where I felt his heart beating. “ I’m sorry that I was never able to gain the courage to say all this before, I was embarrassed and scared of your reaction.”

My mouth was wide open. Holy cow! He does like me. Finally he spilled the beans. I cant believe he actually likes me. Me, Melanie. I leaned over and brushed my lips against his cheek. “Don’t you think if I didn’t like you I would have never let you pull me onto your lap?” I laughed “Jake, I have liked you for a while. You have no idea how you make me feel. Seriously.” Glad to have that out of my system.

He gazed at me in awe as he touched his cheek where I kissed him. “ Thank you,”

I yawned involuntarily. This was too good for me to fall asleep again! I had to fight to keep my eyelids from closing. Jake realized I was still tired and got up.

“Time for bed.” He folded the sheets so I can get under the covers.

“What are you going to tuck me in?” I joked while getting under the covers.

“That’s exactly what I’m doing.” He put the covers over me and leaned over to kiss my forehead. “Sweet dreams Melanie.” He whispered in my ear.

“night” I mumbled already half asleep. He chuckled moved away from me. I heard ruffling on the floor beside me as he was getting into his sleeping bag. Moments later I was dead asleep.