All I Want Is You

Papa don't preach.

“Okay, we need to go into this with a strategy.” I said. The thought of telling my father I was pregnant was causing me fits of panic.

“What do you mean?” Jackson asked, strumming a little tune on his guitar. I gave him a death glare. It did nothing.

“I mean that we can’t exactly be like “Why hello father. It may interest you to know that I am 8 weeks pregnant with your first grandchild. You see, Jackson and I weren’t exactly the most responsible beings. Especially that time in Italy, when I fell off the bed. Oh, but it was fun while it lasted. So, congratulations Pops!” You see what I’m getting at?”

Jackson’s face was red with laughter. “That was epic.” He said, his eyes tearing up.

“This isn’t funny! What are we going to say to him?” I pushed my hair out of my face and headed for the freezer. The only thing that could fix this was a carton of Chunky Monkey. At the rate I was going, we wouldn’t have to tell anyone I was pregnant, it would be obvious.

“Jackson! Where is my Chunky Monkey?” My heart was racing. I needed Chunky Monkey.

“It’s in the back.” He said, chuckling under his breath. I breathed a sigh of relief when I pulled out the familiar carton.

“Why don’t we just call him and see how it goes?” He asked, walking over to the counter. He pulled down a glass and filled it with water.

“But I don’t know what to say. I’m the only child. Their happiness rests on my shoulders!” I gave an exasperated sigh and shovelled another spoon of Chunky Monkey in my mouth.

“Lizzie, you’re almost 24. It’s not like we’re teenagers.” He rolled his eyes and sipped his water. He snaked his arm around my waist.

“If you are even thinking about touching my Chunky Monkey, you have another thing coming.”

He chuckled again and kissed my cheek.

“We really need to call your parents.” He said. I was subconsciously aware of the way his fingers rested on the side of my stomach.

“I know.”I mumbled, my mouth still full of ice cream. I swallowed my ice cream and looked up at him. “Hand me the phone.”

“Let’s go sit down and call them together.” He said, walking towards the sofa. I followed, cautiously eyeing the black phone on the coffee table.

My stomach was lurching, a combination of nerves and too much Chunky Monkey. I picked up the phone and dialled my parent’s number, taking my time between each number. I pressed the speaker phone button and set the phone down on the table, listening to each ring like a church bell. I could feel impending doom.

“Hello?” My father’s gruff voice said from the other end of the phone.

“Hi Dad.” I said, my voice already shaking. Holy crap, this was worse than finding out I was actually pregnant. Almost.

“Hey Bill!” Jackson said enthusiastically.

“Jackson, how have you been? You guys all settled into that apartment?” My dad started chattering away. When Jackson was around, it was useless for me to try and speak. They were best buds. Which probably made this harder for Jackson.

“Daddy, we need to tell you something. We need you not to be mad, and to support us.” I was sweating, and found myself clutching at Jackson’s hand.

“Lizzie, doll, you sound nervous.” My Dad said.

“Is Mom home?” I asked, swallowing the urge the throw-up.

“Yeah, she’s right here.” His voice was sceptical.

“Can you put it on speakerphone?” Jackson asked, taking over for me. I sipped out of Jackson’s water glass trying to calm my stomach.

“Sure.” He said. I heard a beep and then my mother’s worried voice.

“Is everything okay?” She asked.

“Mom, we have something to tell you. We need you to be there for us, because, frankly, we’re rather scared.”

“Are you married already? Did you run off to Vegas?” My mom asked, her voice high. Because she would kill me if she wasn’t at my wedding.

“No, we aren’t married. That may be part of the problem.” I said.

“Lizzie...” My father drug out my name. “Elizabeth, are you pregnant?”

Oh my god, how did he figure that out?

“Lizzie?” My mother asked. I was about five seconds from a full on nervous breakdown.

“Yes.” I whispered.

“Jackson.” My father said.

“Yes sir?” Jackson’s hand was suddenly tighter around mine.

“I don’t know what to say. You haven’t been together very long. Are you ready for this?” My father asked.

“We’re going to try our best. We need you guys though.” I said, tears forming in my eyes.

“We’ll be there Lizzie.” My mom said, her voice calming me like it had for the past 23 years.

“I’m not going to say I’m not disappointed, but if you’ve accepted this, I’ll be there for you.” My dad said, his voice showing he was clearly uncomfortable with this intimate situation.

“Thank you Daddy.” I said, the tears finally starting to fall.

“You’re going to be there for my Lizzie, right Jackson?” My father asked. I smiled and sniffled.

“Of course.” Jackson answered. “I wouldn’t dream of walking away from this.”

“Well then, when can expect this bundle of joy?” My father asked.

I chuckled and leaned my head against Jackson. Now that this was out of the way, we could focus on what was coming in just seven short months.
♠ ♠ ♠
Woooo! Chapter 40!