‹ Prequel: Come one come all

You're Just In Time

Neuf

It was the day Alex was leaving and I was sleeping peacefully face down on the bed. It was six o clock in the morning and Alex promised me before he would be leaving he would wake me up to say goodbye to me.

“Sleeping beauty come on I have to go.” Alex shook me and I woke up smiling slightly and sat up, taking my son who Alex was holding, he had obviously woke Logan up before hand and said his goodbye’s to him.

“We’re going to miss you daddy,” I said in a cute baby voice.

“It’s only five weeks this time so it should not be so bad.”

“When you come back we will be getting married in three days.” I mused cradling my son.

“I can’t wait, gives me something to look forward to when I get lonely on the road.” Alex kissed the top of my head and I knew this would be the last time I would see him in five weeks but I was feeling more confident this time.

“You haven’t forgotten anything have you?” I asked, usually I help him pack but this time I didn’t and was worried he would leave all his underwear or passport in the drawers.

“If I have you’ll just have to come over to me and give it to me won’t you.”

“And see you? Wow that would be such a shame.”

“It sure would,” Alex replied kissing me on the lips lightly, Logan was still in my arms.

“You better go,” I said sadly and sat Logan down on the bed next to me so I could give my fiancé an enormous hug which I did my arms around his neck and his arms round my middle.

“Don’t miss me too much,” Alex muttered holding me tightly.

“We won’t, you’ve got a flight to catch, call me when you get off ok.” I reluctantly let go and kissed him lightly before watching Alex kiss Logan and walk out the room. Logan
looked at the door Alex walked out of and looked at me confused, like he was trying to say something, I knew he knew something was going on, just because babies can’t communicate doesn’t mean they are stupid.

“Daddy has to go away for a while,” I explained lightly brushing my hand through his thin dark hair. The only sounds I could hear were the gurgles of my son and a car driving away, I knew it was the boys leaving. I laid down and looked at Logan stroking his cheek now.

“Da, da.” I shot up and smiled.

“Logan, are you just mumbling or...”

“Da, da, da!” He repeated over and over again, this couldn’t be a mumble if he kept on saying it so clear. My son was starting to speak, he was trying to say daddy. Alex was his first word and he wasn’t even here to experience it.

Alex’s P.O.V
I was in the airport and couldn’t help but worry about Louisa, I knew she said she was fine and felt a lot happier than last time I went away but she was still on the anti depressants, she still had a little way to go until she was her old self again and I didn’t know how me leaving half way though would affect her recovery. I was waiting for my flight to be called, we still had twenty minutes and I felt my pocket buzz, Louisa was phoning me. She couldn’t be not coping already surely, I had only been gone two hours.

“Alex, Logan is speaking! He can talk Alex he just said his first word I swear I’m not imagining it!” I heard over the other end of the phone before I even had the chance to say hello. I was so happy she wasn’t crying and feeling down, my son was talking I just couldn’t believe it.

“What is it?”

“It’s you Alex! He keeps saying da, da. I swear he’s trying to say dad.” I could hear the smile in Louisa’s voice, I smiled to but deep down inside I felt so bad, I was my son’s first word and I couldn’t even be there to hear it. I spent the whole plane journey wondering what other parts of my son’s life I would miss.