Status: complete :)

Set on False Pretense

4

I pulled away against my will and gazed down at him. I wanted to move closer to him but the fucking guitar was in the way. Will seemed to understand and he took it off from around his neck and put it on the desk next to him. He then turned towards me, his legs hanging over the edge of the desk. I smiled at him and moved to stand in between his legs and kissed him again, deeply. I ran my fingers through his silky black hair and his hands held me tightly at my sides, always pulling me tighter against him. I pulled away when I needed to breath and rested my forehead against Will's. I gazed down into his green eyes which were sparkling and I smiled. "You have no idea how long I've wanted to do that," I whispered and he smiled slightly and rubbed his fingers back and forth at my sides.
"I think I do," he whispered and shivers ran through me. I pulled back after a while and sat next to him on the desk. I passed him the guitar again and he smiled.
"You're really good," I whispered and he smiled slightly.
"Thanks," he said, a slight blush on his cheeks.
"You parents are probably so proud," I smiled and saw his face immediately fall and he turned away from me.
"My mum died 3 years ago," he said softly and my mouth opened but I didn't know what to say.
"I'm so sorry, Will," I whispered and he nodded. "What about your dad?" I asked hesitantly. He didn't say anything and I instantly regretted bringing up this subject, for ruining a perfect moment.

"Do you ever go to the art department?" I asked him, changing the subject. It worked. He looked up at me, met my eyes, and I was surprised to see his eyes were slightly red, as though he had been holding back tears. He shook his head and I smiled, whilst mentally scolding myself for upsetting him. "I want to show you something," I said softly and took his hand. He laid the guitar back on the desk and stood up as well. He followed me back through the school towards the art department. I briefly wondered whether, if anyone came, I would let go of his hand. However, I didn't have to find out because no one was around. I pulled him up to a display just inside the doors to the art department. I pointed to the one in the middle of 6 pictures and he looked at it. He hadn’t said a word since I'd asked him about his dad, and I was eager to hear his voice again. "What do you think?" I asked him, watching his face for any reaction. His mouth was slightly open as he looked at the painting. "You inspired this," I whispered and he turned towards me, eyes wide.
"You painted this?" he whispered and I nodded. "It's...It's incredible." I felt thrills running through me because he liked my painting. I looked at the picture again. It was black and white, A3 size with a sunset in the background. A black tree was silhouetted against the sun set and a large face was painted over the whole picture faintly. If you are close to it, you can't really see the face, but from a distance, it's all you can see. I had submitted this painting anonymously for a school competition and it had won. They had asked several times for the artist to come forward, but I wouldn’t. I realised that while I had been gazing at the picture, Will was looking at me. I turned and smiled at him and he smiled back. "It's me..." he whispered and I smiled and nodded. "Why would you want to paint me?" I put my arms around him from behind as we looked at the picture.
"You're beautiful," I whispered in his ear and I heard his breath speed up.

We were silent for a while longer and then Will turned round in my arms and smiled up at me. "Well done," he smiled. "You successfully distracted me." I laughed and he threaded his arms around my neck. I was a bit uncomfortable being this close to him in the corridor when anyone could see us but at that second, I didn't care. He smiled up at me and kissed me tenderly. He then pulled away from me and started walking away. I frowned slightly but then the bell went and the corridor was flooded with people. I looked after Will and saw him turned back and smirk at me. I smiled back and then walked in the opposite direction to my locker and got my bag for my next lesson.

I was sitting in my history class as everyone else slowly walked in. "Dude, Max is pissed at you," Jake said as he sat next to me. I knew why he would be pissed, but I pretended not to.
"How come?" I asked, turning to him.
"Duh," he said, rolling his eyes. "You missed a free period in the gym." I shrugged.
"I'll stay after school and catch up," I said. Jake smiled and nodded and then sorted out his books. Jake was one of the few guys on the team who I got along with. He wasn't football obsessed like everyone else on the team. He knew that other things were important. For him, it was Kelsy, his girlfriend.
"So, what were you doing?" he asked and I turned to him.
"Um..." I said, trying to think of something quickly. "I was in the library." Jake's eyebrows rose but he didn't say anything.

The lesson passed quickly and then I was walking down the corridor. I was humming without realising it but several people looked at me weirdly. It was then I realised that I had Will's song stuck in my head. I smiled slightly and put my bag in my locker. The corridors were swarming with people knocking into me, but I distinctly felt it when a hand touched my ass. I turned round and saw Will walking away, smirking at me. I smiled at him and realised something was now in my back pocket. I reached back and took the folded paper out of my pocket. I smiled slightly and opened it.
I heard you humming my song. X
I blushed slightly and bit my lip to stop from smiling. "Hey," a voice said behind me and slapped me on the back. I quickly stuffed the note in my locker and slammed it shut. I turned to see Max and some of the other guys on the team.
"Hey, Max," I said. "What's up?" I started walking towards the cafeteria, pretending I had no idea what was wrong with him.
"Why didn't you come to the gym in free period? We need the practise and you're captain," he said accusatorially. I rolled my eyes but he didn't see.
"I had to catch up some work I didn't do yesterday that's in for this afternoon," I said smoothly as I had spent all of history thinking of my excuse.
"But you always do your chemistry," he said and I shrugged.
"I didn't have time last night," I said.
"That's such crap," he said and I turned to him.
"Can you prove that?" I asked him angrily but he just glared at me. "Didn't think so." I stalked into the cafeteria angrily and saw Will sitting alone at a far table and my anger for Max immediately melted away. Instead, it was replaced with anger towards myself. The boy I was practically in love with was sitting alone, as always, and yet I was still too pathetic to go and sit with him.

I looked at him for a while, while all my friends went and got lunch. "Chad!?" Jake shouted from the queue. I didn't look away from Will, who had looked up at my name. He smiled at me but I couldn’t smile back. Why couldn’t I go and sit with him. Why did I care so much about people's opinions? Especially people who I don’t even like? I saw Will's smile fade as he continued to gaze into my eyes. I moaned in frustration and turned away and stalked out of the hall.

But now I didn't know where to go. I would have gone to the gym but I didn't feel like going there to escape anymore. It seemed more like a trap now than ever. Instead I went to the music room where Will had sung to me this morning. I sat where he had been sitting and remembered his song.
♠ ♠ ♠
comment??