The Tragedy of Aqua

Scene 3-The Engagement

Scene 3-The Engagement

Auto arrives at Aqua’s bedside crying.

Aqua and the voices are arguing. The voices have been forbidden to tell Aqua anything about Auto.

Zandria has broken out of prison in Utah and is on her way back to Mississippi.

AQUA:
(as soon as the Voices arrive) Please tell me how Auto is!

VOICE 1:
We are forbidden.

AQUA:
I’ll die if I don’t know!

VOICE 2:
We know how you can find out.

AQUA:
HOW!?

VOICE 2:
Concentrate. Think of what you want.

AQUA:
(Concentrates then says) I can hear!

AUTO:
(suddenly breaking through to her) Anyway I’m fine. The surgery wasn’t a big deal. I. Can you hear me?

AQUA:
(with great effort) AUTO!

AUTO:
AQUA! Are you okay?

AQUA:
(slowly coming to) (weakly) Love.

AUTO:
Love?

AQUA:
You. (waking fully) I love you! Oh AUTO!

AUTO:
Oh thank God you’re awake! I was so scared!

AQUA:
Auto, I thought! Oh Thank God you’re alive! I was so sure I’d wake up and find out you were already 6 feet under!

AUTO:
Don’t baby. I’m fine. (pulls her close and kisses her)

AQUA:
Well how was I to know? (hugs him tightly)

AUTO:
OW! (crying out in pain, Aqua quickly lets go) Well I guess Im not perfectly fine but. I’ll live.

AQUA:
Did you really get stabbed?

AUTO:
Yes, she nicked my heart and tore up my chest. It took them a week to completely fix me up. They had to stop the bleeding before they could fix my chest. I’ll have some pretty nasty scars, but at least I’m not dead.. (long pause as he realizes how his words are effecting her. Aqua has turned white.) But I’m okay now.

AQUA:
(When she is able to speak again) And what happened to Zandria? Why does she hate me?

AUTO:
She was arrested. She’s in some prison in Utah. Im not certain as to why she hates you but I think it could have something to do with the fact that I’m in love with you and not her, but lets not think about her she’s behind bars she can’t hurt us now.
(That’s what he thought. Just out side the Utah state prison)

ZANDRIA:
What a perfect day to break out! My Birthday!!!

MANNY (a girl Zandria befriends in prison):
Yes! I’ve been in that place for so long any day would be the perfect day to me but I must say today is a lovely day! We’re free finally!!!

(Back at the hospital)

AQUA:
I missed you.

AUTO:
I didn’t go anywhere.

AQUA:
But for a while I could see and hear everything, I just couldn’t really respond then. (long sad pause) Auto, I thought you were dead! I just... I couldn’t go on. I wanted to die! Do you know what that’s like? I mean with you at least you knew I was alive!

AUTO:
Yes, but I didn’t know how long you’d last. You could’ve died while I was in surgery!

AQUA:
My love, Auto, why didn’t you tell me you had surgery! (small pause as she realizes what she just said) Oh! I’m sorry, you’re not MY Auto, but I do love you. Why didn’t you tell me about the surgery?

AUTO:
Wait! Are you breaking up with me because I didn’t tell you that while they were fixing my chest and junk they pretty much did surgery on me to fix the damage to my heart and chest! Please don’t!

AQUA:
We never really went out. I mean you never asked me to be your girlfriend.

AUTO:
I meant to. I thought I did. I.. Er.. I’m sorry.. Will you? (said awkwardly like a boy asking a girl out for the first time)

AQUA:
Will I be your girlfriend? Is that what you mean?

AUTO:
Yeah, that’s what I meant.

AQUA:
In that case. (long pause like she’s considering but the whole time she’s smiling at him then after a minute or two she leans forward and kisses him on the cheek and whispers) Yes Auto I would love to be your girlfriend. I love you.

AUTO:
(Smiling ear to ear) WOOO HOOO!!! Yippee!! (jumping up and down)

AQUA:
(Smiling lovingly) My sentiments exactly. (small pause) Auto?

AUTO:
Yes, my love? (still smiling like he won the million dollar lottery)

AQUA:
Why aren’t you in school?

AUTO:
I just got out of surgery.

AQUA:
Oh my! MY Poor Dear Auto! My Poor Baby!!!

AUTO:
Don’t, Im fine.

AQUA:
I’m glad I’d be miserable without you.

Off stage:

VOICES:
Don’t we know it!

Just outside of Utah heading for Mississippi:

ZANDRIA:
(ranting) I’ll get them if it’s the last thing I do!!! I’ll kill her!

MANNY:
(tired of Zandria’s complaints) Calm down!!!

ZANDRIA:
I will NOT! She stole MY Auto!! (still ranting and angry at Manny)

MANNY:
(confused) But you don’t even care about him! We’re setting him up remember?!

ZANDRIA:
But that doesn’t give her the right to take him away!! He was MINE!!

MANNY:
Were you actually together? I thought he hadn’t asked you or you hadn’t answered?

ZANDRIA:
He hadn’t asked but. (pause then continues angrily) He was still mine! I. He was MINE!!

MANNY:
Okay okay! Let’s just go.

Back in Mississippi at a cafe, Aqua and Auto sit chatting unaware of the conversation taking place above between the Voices and God.

In heaven:

GOD:
You let her out.

VOICE 1/ANGEL 1:
We um.. We gave her clues.

GOD:
You gave her the key.

VOICE 2/ANGEL 2:
Does it matter? Auto is alive, and Zandria is still in prison.

GOD:
Is she?! (points to an opening in the clouds) Look there.

VOICE 1/ANGEL 2:
We.. We are sorry. We were wrong. (Seeing Zandria on her way to kill Aqua and frame Auto) Shall we draw her back into the coma

GOD:
No, that’ll make it easier for Zandria to kill her! Leave her, Auto will protect her with his life unless someone warns her.

VOICE 2/ANGEL 2:
(after seeing what happens to Auto when he protects Aqua she says with say with shock) He DIES!!!

GOD:
Yes in two years all three will be dead. Zandria will be detained for a year and a half. By then Aqua and Auto are married, and have two small children six months old at the time of the attack. Both babies and Auto die in the attack, Aqua dies of grief a month later, and Zandria dies the same day in prison stabbed by a woman named Blanka. All of this will take place unless someone warns them.

VOICE 2/ANGEL 2:
Oh, God, why?

GOD:
Sin. Sin is the cause of all bad things if there was no sin, there would be no jealousy, no lust, no murder, no death and so on. Thus sin is the cause. It’s sad really.

VOICE 2/ANGEL 2:
They’re so young, is there any way to spare them?

GOD:
I do not make people do things. I give them a choice, but you can warn them, or protect them as you wish. (smiles at them then walks away.)

VOICE 2/ANGEL 2:
Let’s do it! (excited)

VOICE 1/ANGEL 1:
Let’s get started.

Down in the cafe a year after the conversation between the Voices and God, Auto and Aqua are sitting alone talking:

AUTO:
Aqua?

AQUA:
Yes Auto?

AUTO:
(pulls something out of his pocket then gets down on one knee and holds a small box out to her slowly opening it and revealing a small diamond ring) Will you marry me?

AQUA:
(Smiles lovingly at Auto) Oh Auto! Of course I’ll marry you!! I love you so much! (excitedly throwing her arms around him and knocking him to the floor.)

AUTO:
YES!!! (excited. Holding her and slowly standing as several other people look on at the happy couple) Yippee! Wahoo! (shouting and jumping up and down happily)

AQUA:
Okay sweetie, we need to calm down now.

AUTO:
(blushing a little bit) Okay sorry darling. What now? (still holding the ring box with the ring in it)

AQUA:
You put the ring on my finger, dear. (smiling at him)

AUTO:
(Blushing badly now, but trying to play it cool) Oh, yeah. I knew that. I was just testing you.

AQUA:
(laughing lovingly at him) Oh Auto, you’re so silly!

AUTO:
(Putting the ring on her finger.) I no but you love me anyway? (slightly concerned)

AQUA:
I sure do! When do we set the date?

AUTO:

As soon as possible. Lets set the dated in two weeks.

AQUA:

It’ll have to be after May 30th. I’ll be done with college by then.

AUTO:

Do we have to wait that long?

AQUA:

Yes, I’m going to college in Oklahoma and you're in Nebraska, I can’t move when I’m so close to finishing this semester and neither can you. Married people usually see each other more than once a month for the most part. We’ll try for June 1st okay?

AUTO:

If we have to wait that long... Do we really?

AQUA:

Yes. (phone rings she smiles and picks it up) Hello?

POLICE CHEIF:

Aqua? This is Macintire Chief of Police.

AQUA:

This is Aqua. Have I done some thing wrong?

POLICE CHIEF:

No, I only called to warn you that Zandria has escaped again. She’s looking for you so stay on your toes.

AQUA:

Oh no. (smile falls off her face) Ok thank you I’ll be on the look out.

POLICE CHEIF:

Well if you see anything suspicious give me a call. (hangs up)

AUTO:

What’s wrong Aqua? Who was that?

AQUA:

What? (looking up) Oh nothing. No one.

AUTO:

Don’t lie to me, love. I can tell from the look on your face that something is up. Tell me Aqua.. Please? (worried about her)

AQUA:

Well I didn’t want to tell you because I didn’t want to worry you but.. If you insist. Zandria has escaped again.

AUTO:

Aqua, I don’t want to go anywhere alone. Do you understand?

AQUA:

Okay. I promise.

AUTO:

Stay in a friends dorm don’t stay in yours. And I mean it don’t go ANYWHERE alone!! Be careful. I love you.

AQUA:

(laughing at him) You’re so cute when you’re all worried.

AUTO:

(laughing at her) I thought I was cute when I’m mad?

AQUA:

Oh, you are! You’re always cute!

AUTO:

You have to say that!

AQUA:

No I don’t. do you want a second opinion?

AUTO:

(jokingly) Yes!

AQUA:

(Smiling then calling to a waitress) Miss?

WAITRESS:

Yes?

AQUA:

What do you think, isn’t he the cutest?

WAITRESS:

(Blushing) Yes he is. Why?

AQUA:

(Shrugging) He didn’t believe me. He’s my fiance.

WAITRESS:

(Still blushing) Is there anything else I can do for you?

AUTO:

(Blushing bright red) No, thank you.

End scene