The Tragedy of Aqua

Scene Five- The Pregnancy/The Dream

Scene Five- The Pregnancy/The Dream:

Two months after the wedding:

AQUA:

(walking slowly into Auto’s office) Auto?

AUTO:

Yeah? What’s wrong Aqua? Why aren’t you at the zoo working?

AQUA:

I called in.... I’ve been off work in the mornings for two weeks now, sweetie.

AUTO:

Why?

AQUA:

(slowly smiling) Morning sickness... Auto...

AUTO:

(Excited) You mean?! I’m going to be a daddy?

AQUA:

(smiling) Yes I’m pregnant!

AUTO:

Oh Aqua!!! I LOVE YOU!

AQUA:

I love you too, Auto.. (suddenly worried) Do we have room for them? What about money?

AUTO:

(eyes wide) THEM?!

AQUA:

Yeah, it’s twins, a boy and a girl.

AUTO:

We’ll be fine. TWINS!! WOW! How do you know?

AQUA:

I... Um... Just got back from the doctor.. (pauses as she sees Auto’s anger rise) I didn’t want to worry you... I’m sorry. (sobbing now) I shouldn’t have kept this from you.

AUTO:
(pulling her into his arms) It’s okay Aqua. I just... You’ll tell me next time right?

AQUA:

(tearfully) Yes... I should’ve told you two weeks ago.

(Five months later Aqua speaks with the Voices in a dream)

AQUA:

Well, hello. How are you? Thanks for everything.

VOICE 1:

We have bad news Aqua.

AQUA:

What? Please tell me.. (panicking) Are you going to take away my babies? My Auto?

VOICE 1:

Yes.

AQUA:

Are you going to put me in another comma?

VOICE 2:

No, we’re going to try to stop it but if not... Be ready for everything to go wrong.

AQUA:

Oh! Please save them if you can! I’ll trade places with them. PLEASE!!

VOICE 1:

You can not, but be aware Zandria is free again. We must leave.

AQUA:

(bolts upright in bed two minutes before the phone rings then picks it up quickly) Hello?

POLICE CHEIF:

Zandria is on the loose.

AQUA:

I know.

POLICE CHIEF:

(dumbfounded but unconcerned) Okay well.. I got to go. If you need anything...

AQUA:

Yeah I know call you. (rolling her eyes)

(Police chief hangs up.)

AUTO:

(sleepily) Who was that?

AQUA:

The police chief. Zandria has escaped... Again. (sounding a lot calmer than she really was)

AUTO:

(Suddenly wide awake and furious) NOT AGAIN! Can’t they keep one criminal in prison!?

AQUA:

Yeah, I know... (wearily)

AUTO:

Don’t worry I’ll protect you.

AQUA:

That’s what bothers me... (suddenly holding him close and sobbing) Auto, the Voices came to me in a dream only minutes before the warden called.. They said... (unable to say it out loud) Auto! I can’t live with out you!! and the babies, she’s going to steal you all from me!!! I’ll die I’ll just die!! Don’t leave me Auto Please!!!

AUTO:

I won’t let her tear my family apart.

AQUA:

She’ll kill you and the babies trying to get to me! The Voices said, unless they can stop it... I won’t let her get you! I’ll lie low until I have the babies, if you’ll do the same. (to herself) Then when Im strong enough and the babies are weaned I’ll meet her and end this one way or another.

AUTO:
Alright until she’s caught we’ll lie low.

AQUA:

Let’s go into hiding... What country do you want to visit? I’m thinking Germany, Italy, France, or Greece?

AUTO:

Why not Africa, Japan, or China?

AQUA:

She’d know we’d be there, remember she was my best friend, she knows my aspirations. She knows yours as well after dating you for all those years. So what do you think of Germany? We could visit Lady, the foreign exchange student..

AUTO:
That sounds good. Good thing we have our passports ready.

AQUA:

Let’s go. I have a friend who has a private jet.

(calls her friend and borrows his plane, pilot, and staff. They leave for Germany, less than two hours later Zandria bursts into the house)

ZANDRIA:

BLAST! There’s no one here!! (looking around) They’ve packed!?!? It looks like they packed fast... They knew I was coming!? Oh well I know where they’ve gone.

(Boards a plane to Africa an hour later.)

(Aqua calls Lady when she and Auto arrive in Germany)

AQUA:

Hello? May I speak with Lady?

LADY:

This is she. May I ask who’s calling?

AQUA:

This is Aqua. Zandria is trying to kill me again do you know where me and Auto can stay? We’re hiding out till the twins are born.

LADY:

Of course! Stay with me!!!

AQUA:

Are you sure?

LADY:

Yes. Where are you?

(She told Lady where she and Auto were, Lady gave them directions to her house, and twenty minutes later she and Auto were hugging Lady at Lady’s house)

Oh my! You are VERY pregnant!

AQUA:

(laughing) Yes. I feel like a real cow!

AUTO:

You’ve never looked more beautiful to me! (he says as Lady slips out of the room)

AQUA:
Oh Auto! (kissing him) You’re such a flirt!

AUTO:

(innocently) Only with you!

AQUA:

Ha! I saw you with the flight attendant!

AUTO:

(confused) What do you mean?

AQUA:

(teasing) She was flirting hard core, even with you VERY pregnant wife sitting with you!

AUTO:

(teasing back) REALLY? Which one?

AQUA:
The one with the... (cuts off as the babies start kicking) OW! Your babies are beating me up from the inside again!!!

AUTO:

(pressing a kiss on her large tummy and speaking softly) Now you two settle down “mommy” and “daddy” are talking wait your turn. (surprisingly they immediately calm down. Auto kisses Aqua and turns to find Lady reentering the room) I think Aqua needs to rest, Can you take us to our room please?

LADY:

Of course! I just thought I’d give you a little privacy.

AQUA:

Thank you. We had a VERY long day.

AUTO:

Yeah, I think we could both use some rest. Thank you for everything.

(Lady leads them to the spare bedroom, then says)

LADY:

Sweet dreams, I hope you will be safe here, when you wake up Im anticipating you filling me in on the past six years, since I last saw you. Good night.

AUTO:

(after tucking Aqua in) Good night we will talk to you in the morning sweet dreams.

(Auto and Aqua fall asleep immediately. Aqua has terrible nightmares...)

AQUA:

Where am I? What... Why... Zandria!

DREAM ZANDRIA:

Im going to kill you slowly, so you can watch your family die!!

AQUA:

Please Zandria (pleadingly) Don’t hurt them! Please I’ll do anything!!!

DREAM ZANDRIA:

No... I think we’ll start with Auto. (Auto appears out of thin air)

DREAM AUTO:

Aqua!!! I’ll save you! (runs to untie her, not seeing Zandria behind him)

AQUA:

NO!!! Auto! She’ll kill you!! (crying) Please leave!!!!!!!

DREAM AUTO:

Not with out yo... (Zandria stabs him sevral times)

AQUA:

(screaming and crying) NO! STOP!! AUTO!!!!!! Why?! (the real Auto is wide awake by now, because Aqua’s thrashing in the bed has knock him to the floor and her screams have jolted him into awareness)

AUTO:

Aqua, wake up! It’s okay, I’m here!!

(Back in the dream)

DREAM ZANDRIA:

I see you didn’t like that, then you’re going to HATE this... (the babies appear)

AQUA:

NO! NOT MY BABIES!!! Please Zandria!! They haven’t done anything! Leave them alone please!!!

DREAM ZANDRIA:

NO, They give you joy and so I shall take them from you as well!

AQUA:
NO!!! Please! I’ll do anything!! Please they’re all I have left! Please kill me instead!! Don’t hurt them!! PLEASE I’LL DO ANYTHING!!! Zandria, just don’t hurt my babies!

DREAM ZANDRIA:

How are you going to stop me?

AQUA:

(Defeated) I... Can’t. (sobs uncontrolably as the knife that killed her beloved husband turns on her babies) NO NO!! no no no no! (she weeps)

VOICE 1:

(suddenly appearing) Aqua?

AQUA:

Am I dead?

VOICE 2:

No, this was a dream (comfortingly)

VOICE 1:

This is what will happen if we can’t stop it.

VOICE 2:

Don’t be upset we’re doing our best and she doesn’t know where you are.

AQUA:

So they’ll die just like that if you can’t stop it? (still sobbing)

VOICE 1:

Yes. We must go.

AQUA:

(weeping) I’m going to lose all that I love! I’d rather die! This will happen, unless I can stop it! I won’t let it happen.

End scene.