The Tragedy of Aqua

Scene 6-Germany: The Birth/The search

Scene 6-Germany: The Birth/The search

AUTO:

Wake up! Aqua, I’m okay, every-thing's alright. Get up!!

AQUA:

( bolting upright covered with sweat) Oh no! (looking at Auto) Did I wake you?

AUTO:

Sort of. (standing beside the bed) What’s going on? Are you okay?

AQUA:

I... (deciding not to tell him the whole thing) Just had a terrible dream. That’s all.

AUTO:

But it was a prophecy?

AQUA:

(looking at him strangely) How did you know?

AUTO:

You talked in your sleep.

AQUA:

So you know?

AUTO:

A little. Will you fill me in please?

AQUA:

(sobbing) It’s so terrible... (When she finished telling him about the dream) I can’t lose you... It’ll kill me!

AUTO:

I will not let her hurt you!

AQUA:

You can’t stop her! And if you die I will too. Don’t even try to stop me when I leave.

AUTO:

LEAVE!? What do you mean?! I won’t let you leave!

AQUA:

Then I won’t tell you... I can’t risk your life or that of our babies.

AUTO:

Then I won’t let you out of my sight!

AQUA:

Fine, but when I do leave, Do NOT follow me! And Auto?

AUTO:

Yeah?

AQUA:
Don’t let her get the babies or you. I love you.

AUTO:

And I love you, but I won’t let you leave. And I won’t let her get you.

AQUA:

You can’t stop me.

AUTO:

We’ll see.

(Zandria searching Africa)

ZANDRIA:

They aren’t here! Oh well I know where to go next. (to herself) I need a ticket to China. (to the sales lady)

SALES LADY:

$50 Please.

ZANDRIA:

(cursing under her breath about the price) Here. (handing her a $50 bill)

SALES LADY:

Gate nine.

ZANDRIA:

Yeah, thanks. (runs and boards the plane)

(Back in Lady’s house in Germany)

LADY:

What’s happened since I last saw you?

AUTO:

(taking a deep breath) Well we fell in love, Aqua went into a coma, Zandria hates us, we went to college, we got engaged, then married and now pregnant.

AQUA:

(laughing at him a little) I think you skipped a few things Auto, dear.

AUTO:

You tell her then.

AQUA:

Zandria found out that I’m the reason Auto didn’t ask her out again, so while I was in the comma she tried to kill me, but Auto fought with her and nearly died when she stabbed him...

AUTO:

I didn’t nearly die!

AQUA:

Whatever! Anyway she was put in prison, but on her birthday, October 31, she escaped. She came after us, and nearly caught me, but then she was arrested again. She escaped again in May a few years later, she kidnapped me and Auto saved me again. We married the next day, about a month later she was arrested again then another month and I found out I was pregnant with Auto’s twins. Five months later she escaped again, and here we are.

LADY:

WOW!

AUTO:

Yeah, it’s been quite an ordeal. Now last night she had a dream that the babies and I would be murdered before her eyes, and she was tied up, and unable to help, so now she thinks she can leave after she weans the babies and save us, but I won’t let her. She’ll get herself killed!

LADY:

I wouldn’t either! Aqua you can’t she’ll kill you!

AQUA:

Better me than my family!!

AUTO:

I still won’t let you!

AQUA:

You can NOT stop me!

AUTO:

I can and I WILL!!!

AQUA:

We’ll see about that!

LADY:

Okay, calm down please, we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it.

AQUA:

That sounds good to me... Auto, your babies are at it again.

AUTO:

(sullenly) Why do they always do that when we’re talking.

AQUA:

I don’t know. Come talk to them before they do serious damage!

AUTO:

Okay. (walks over and presses his lips to Aqua’s belly) Victoria, Tod, calm down. You’re going to hurt mommy. Then daddy will be angry.

(they immediately stop and Aqua feels four small hands poking out towards Auto. He saw it and put one of his hands over their small ones)

My babies. (said proudly)

AQUA:

Our babies (correcting him)

AUTO:

Why are they only “our babies” when they aren’t hurting you? (joking)

AQUA:

Cause you’re the only one who can calm them down.

LADY:

Should I leave?

AUTO & AQUA:

No. You don’t need to.

AQUA:

When the babies start fighting Auto is the only one who can calm them down.

AUTO:

I don’t know why but it’s true.

AQUA:

(snuggling into Auto’s arms) If it weren’t for Auto, they’d probably kick right through! (wearily) It always tuckers me out.

AUTO:

Maybe I should take you up to bed?

AQUA:

Only if you’ll stay with me... I don’t want to leave your side until I have to. I want to be with you as much as possible before I have to leave.

AUTO:

Don’t worry I won’t leave you... And I won’t let you leave me.

(Aqua and Auto slowly climb the stairs. Auto sits in a chair by the bed as Aqua sleeps. Zandria is searching every inch of China.)

ZANDRIA:

Still no sign of them! Blast it all!

(Back in Germany Aqua awakes with a sharp pain)

AQUA:

Oh my!

AUTO:

What is it?

AQUA:
They’re coming!

AUTO:

(shouts down the hall) LADY WE NEED YOU!!!

LADY:

(Running in) What is it? (panting slightly)

AQUA:

They’re coming. (pain and excitement dripping from her voice)

AUTO:

Can you take us to the hospital?

LADY:

Of course!!

(Ten hours later...)

AQUA:

(waking suddenly after laboring four eight hours straight) Where’s Auto? Where are my babies?

AUTO:

(running in after hearing his name) Aqua!? Are you okay?! I was so worried!!

AQUA:

Auto! Thank God you’re here! Where are my babies?

AUTO:

Oh, so now there just yours?! (jokingly)

AQUA:

If you ever go through what I just did I’d let you say they were just yours! Where are they?! Are they okay?! Can I see them?! I must see them!

AUTO:

I know.. The nurse is bringing them. They’re... Perfect.

AQUA:

I want to hold them.. I want you to hold me.

AUTO:

(Climbing into the bed with her and bringing his arms around her) I love you.

AQUA:

I love you too.

(A few minutes later the nurse brought in the newly born Tod and Victoria)

NURSE:

Here they are.

(she hands Tod to Aqua and Victoria to Auto)

I’ll leave you to bond for a while.

AQUA:

Well hello Tod, I’m your mommy. (Tod stares at her).. Tod would you like to go see your daddy? (Tod continues to stare at her) Here Auto, let me see my girl. (they trade) Hello my Victoria. (more blank stares)

AUTO:

Should we let you rest now?

AQUA:

Yes, I’m quite tired. Just don’t leave me.

AUTO:

Alright. I’ll return shortly... Don’t even THINK about leaving!

AQUA:

Im not going anywhere... (to herself) yet.

AUTO:

So you’ve decided against your foolish plan to find Zandria?

AQUA:

Is that what I said? You need to leave... I have to rest and regain my strength.

AUTO:

Not if you’re going to leave me!

AQUA:

So if I plan to leave you’d rather I die now?! (incredulously)

AUTO:

No, but...

AQUA:

Then leaving or not I MUST regain my strength!

AUTO:

Very well, I’ll let you alone.

AQUA:

Very good. (tiredly) I love you Auto.

AUTO:

(quietly, slightly defeated) I love you too, Aqua. (leaves with the babies, and returns shortly after)

(Five months later Auto would not leave Aqua’s side for more than five minutes, so Aqua decides she will have to sneak away at night. She hides a pack with some clothes so she could leave without waking everyone. That night.)

AQUA:

(slips out of Auto’s arms, kisses him softly so she wouldn’t wake him. Tears in her eyes as well as her voice she whispers) I love you so much Auto, I know you’ll never understand, but, I must go. (Auto only mumbles in his sleep. Aqua grabs the hidden bag and heads for the twins’ room after leaving a note on her pillow) Oh, my Victoria, my Tod, I love you both so much. (gently touches their cheeks, kisses them and leaves another note in their room as well as one on the kitchen table and stealthily exits the house.)

(Two hours later Auto wakes up)

AUTO:

Dang it, Aqua!!

LADY:

(enters the room note in hand) Auto? This was in the kitchen. (hands him the note)

End scene