Dude Looks Like a Lady

Chapter 11: Awkward Silence? I Think Not

I place a pot of coffee on the bar, three cups, a pot of sugar and some milk. I take a seat on the bar and sit cross legged on it, adding milk to my coffee. “Help yourselves, do.” I sip my coffee and tap my left fingers, on the table. “Oh, how rude! There aren’t any biscuits out.” I slip from the table and find a packet of biscuits; I arrange them neatly on a plate and slip them in front of the pair. “Tuck in.”

I take a seat on the table and study their faces. Alicia’s was tinged red, but you could see she was beautiful. Mikey’s face was hidden in his chest. I sighed and poured more coffee for everyone adding what they’d wanted to it.

“There you go, babe.” I say sliding Mikey his coffee.

“STOP IT!!” He shouts.

I look gently confused and Alicia falls off her chair, I slide from the bar and help Alicia up, “Do you need an ice pack?”

She shakes her head, “I’m gonna go. Thanks for the, uh, hospitality Lou.” She nods at Mikey and turns to leave.

“You aren’t gonna say goodbye to Mikey?” I ask; a note of disbelief in my tone.

She looks really confused but shrugs, she heads over to Mikey and leans up to kiss him goodbye, he leans back.

“See you around Alicia.”

“Mikey don’t be rude! If the girl wants a kiss then kiss her.”

Mikey looks at me, square in the eyes for the first time since last night. I look in his eyes and see pain. No embarrassment, just pain. “I can’t.” He mumbles.

I nod, slowly, sipping my coffee, “You want me to go?”

He slips from his chair and gently pushes Alicia out of the way, “No.” He pauses, frowning. He moves to wrap an arm around me. I stand there, utterly unresponsive. He steps closer and engulfs me in a hug, resting his head on my shoulder. I wrap my arms round his neck and stroke his hair.

“Shhhhh. It’s ok.” I mumble gently into his hair.

He sniffs at my skin and my hair, “I like your hair.”

I laugh and shake my head, “I’m glad.” I look up at him and see tears in his eyes, “You sure you don’t want me to go?”

“I know I want you here. It’s not right without you.”

“I don’t want to be broken again, Mikey…” His lips press to mine, firmly but gently. His tongue plays with my bottom lip and his teeth nip it gently. I open my lips and lose myself in his taste and scent. My green painted nails scraping through his hair and down his back.

He pulls away, “I won’t break you again.”

“You’ve broken my twice Mikey.”

He looks confused and then light dawns on him, “And I’m sorry twice over.”

I shake my head, “Sorry doesn’t fucking cut it, Mikey.”

He nods, “I know.” He pauses, “What I don’t know is how the hell you didn’t break up when you saw me and Alicia earlier…”

“Die on the inside, but don’t show them on the outside.” I tell him.

He nods, and turns his head to Alicia, she nods. “Lou - ”

“Don’t even look at her!” Mikey snaps, suddenly. I look at Mikey, frowning.

“Shut up, Mikey. Let the girl speak.” I disentangle myself from Mikey and look at Alicia, “Yes?”

“I’m so sorry. And I know sorry doesn’t cut it. I was so jealous of you – you had everything I ever wanted but that gave me no right whatsoever.” She walked up to me and took my left hand, she looked at the rings, “You make a beautiful married woman, Lou.”

I frown at her, “I don’t understand.”

“You just look right married.”

My frown doesn’t clear but I nod, “Come here, Alicia.” She looks confused and I pull her into a hug.

“Don’t forgive me!” She shrieks. She pulls away and runs out of the house, crying hysterically.

I turn to Mikey, “Sorry.” He shakes his head.

“It’s ok. I don’t know why she did that.”

“Because she was truly sorry for what she did, she didn’t want me to turn round and know what she’d done but be able to control myself enough to say ‘I forgive you’ to her. Forgiveness is the best form of revenge.”

He looks at me, “That’s twisted and cruel.”

“But satisfactory.”

He opens his mouth to argue but changes his mind, “We argue too much, Lou.”

I nod, “Yeah. I’m sorry about today. I just couldn’t resist and I now I’ve screwed everything up.” I sit at the table and rest my head in my hands.

He rubs my back and kisses my neck, “You haven’t screwed anything up. You’ve claimed what’s yours in the most ladylike way I could have imagined.” He pauses, “I think that’s what entrances me about you.”

I look at him, confused, “I like a pint and a curry on a Friday night… I can belch my alphabet, I think it’s funny to light up your own farts, I fight like a man, I’m happy to scratch my ass in public, I answer the door in my nightwear, I prefer boxers to knickers, I like my jeans – skirts get in the way… what other un – ladylike things do I like?” I muse.

Mikey nods, “You’re a very butch woman.” He concedes, “But you can come across, no matter what you’re wearing, as a stately woman with ten thousand servants. It’s great.”