Dude Looks Like a Lady

Chapter 33: Second Anniversaries.

Mikey and I missed our first anniversary, so I was surprised when he came home from his tour (after about a year) on our second anniversary. Lizzie was just about sleeping through the nights at 5 months old and Jamia and I were getting on like a house on fire. Not only that but Gerard and I were now talking nicely to each other. He’d never explained why he was an ass, but he said that he wanted to stop it now and he wanted us to be like a family. I wasn’t going to miss up on a chance to make Mikey happy.

Lizzie was a bouncing baby. Very loud and happy, but fairly easy to manage; she didn’t scream all of the time and she was quite happy to be left to play in her cot and have me and Jamia natter away on the other side of the room sewing or designing things. When she slept I slept, it was that simple. She wasn’t about to starve herself of sleep and neither was I. She had Mikey’s big chocolate brown eyes and his caring personality. They say the eyes are the window to the soul, and she definitely had Mikey’s soul.

I had just finished putting Lizzie to sleep when the door opened and Mikey shuffled through looking worn out, thinner but peaceful. He had a bunch of twelve roses in his arms and he looked up as he heard me come down the stairs at a run.

“Mikey!” I squealed in delight and launched myself into his arms. He laughed and held me close as I wound myself round him and buried my head in his neck. “I’m so glad you’re home. Lizzie’s going to enjoy having a Daddy about now.” I tell him smiling up at him.

“Right now, I want to say bugger Lizzie and where’s my proper hello?” Mikey tells me mock admonishingly, with a twinkle in his eyes. I grin and press my lips to his softly running my tongue along his bottom lip before nibbling on it. He opens his mouth and slips his tongue between my lips. We kiss gently and lovingly for a few minutes before the phone rings. We break apart and Mikey answers the phone, “Way residence, how can I help?” He pauses as the other person speaks, “Oh, hey Jam. How are you? Yes, Frankie’s home – of course you can go straight there. We’ll see you tomorrow. Bye.” Mikey puts the phone down and hands me the roses.

“These must have been so hard to find!” I exclaim as I sniff the black roses and wander into the kitchen to find a vase big enough for the twelve of them. Mikey’s arms encircle me from behind and he rests his head on my shoulder blade.

“They weren’t easy to find, I’ll admit.” He kisses my neck softly, “I’ll love you until the last one dies.” He whispers into my ear.

My panic levels rise, “But, Mikey – they’re flowers. They don’t last long?! Don’t you like what I’ve done to my hair?”

Mikey kisses me softly, “Just wait and see. I love your hair straight and at chin length. Especially in your natural brilliant red colour.” He tells me laughing at my panicked look. “How is my baby girl?” He asks suddenly, resting against the counter as I make him some coffee.

“Lizzie? She’s asleep at the moment. She’s doing good… infact, she’s doing great. She sleeps through the nights, and she’s happy to play by herself now. When she sleeps I sleep… as does Jamia.” Mikey nods and mumbles a thanks as I pass him his coffee. “How was tour?”

“It was good. I missed you terribly. Tell me that the next tour you’ll come too?” Mikey begs, pouting softly at me over his coffee cup.

“What about Lizzie’s schooling? Maybe if you tour over the holidays we can come out and join you.” I tell him, his face drops and I sigh, “I’d love to come with you. You know that’s what I planned!” He nods and his sigh matches mine.

“I just thought you’d jump at the chance to join me.”

“I would and I want to, but I can’t just bundle Lizzie off to someone else for the best part of a year, every year. And she’s too young to board.” He nods slowly before his face lights up.

“What about home school? Ya know - a tutor? We could have our own bus so as not to piss off the rest of the band…” He trails off searching my face for a sign of praise.

I think about it slowly, “It might work, Mikey. But do you want that for your child?”

“We could try it out for a year, and if it’s no good then you’ll have to stay here with Lizzie until it’s the holidays and you can join us.” I nod, smiling at him and kiss him again.

“Happy second anniversary, baby.” I whisper into his ear as he places his cup in the dishwasher.

He spins in my arms and smiles, “Happy second anniversary to you too.” He tells me kissing me softly. “How soundly does Lizzie sleep? Because I have a years worth of horniness to get rid of.”

I laugh softly at this and kiss him again, “She’ll scream if she wakes up, so we’ll just have to be quiet.”

“Tomorrow she can visit her grandparents for the rest of the week.” Mikey tells me jokingly. “Can I go and watch her sleep?”

I nod and smile at his mood swings, I had been worried about what Mikey would make of being thrown in at the deep end about parenting. And what Lizzie would make of her Dad. Would she mind that he was away for months on end? Would she still respect him as she should? I worried as I stripped for bed, cleaned my teeth and brushed my hair. I sighed softly as I slipped into bed and heard the nursery door snap shut. What would Mikey make of his baby girl? Would they bond right? I wanted this family to work out well… but with Mikey away so much, would it work?