Because of a Song

Chapter Fifteen

My mom died on January 17th, 2010. My whole family was a wreck. Stephen holed himself up in his room all day, fore-going going to school. My dad didn’t show his emotions in front of other people, but I could hear him weeping very quietly in his room late at night. And me? Well, I dealt with it the best I could: I wrote songs, and also a few journals; I took some time off of work, because let’s face it, I needed it; and I helped comfort my brother and father when they needed it.

“Lauren?” I turned around and saw Stephen at the door. He looked ragged, and his eyes were red from all the crying he’d done in the past few days.

I put down my pad of paper and pencil and walked over to him. “What is it, Stephen?”

Stephen gulped. “It’s just… she was just here, living, smiling. And now--now she’s gone.”

I tried to smile, just for Stephen’s sake, but it came out looking like a frown. “I know, Stephen. I know how you feel.” I wrapped my arms around his neck and he wrapped his arms around my waist. I was caught up this moment, full of brotherly-sisterly love. I couldn’t get enough.

After a moment of silence, Stephen spoke, “I just… I wish she were here.”

“I do, too.” Still we clung to each other like never before. I had a feeling that this tragedy would bring my brother and I closer together.

---

“Are you sure you’re ready to go back?” My dad asked, smiling (if only slightly) for the first time in days. “I just don’t want you to get overwhelmed. I mean, they’re going to ask you for statements and I don’t want you to get flustered.”

“I can do this, dad. I’ll be fine.” I pushed my fingers through my hair like a comb and sighed. “I’ll see you later, okay dad?” I kissed him briefly on the cheek and then headed out the door. “Hey, dad?” I turned around.

“Yeah?”

“Tell Stephen that I love him.”

My dad smiled. “I will, honey.”

I smiled before retreating out of the house.

---

The ride to work seemed to take longer than usual. I knew that was preposterous, but it just felt like I had listened to more songs or driven slower or something. When I pulled into the studio’s parking lot, though, I couldn’t have felt gladder that the drive seemed to have taken that long. With a deep breath in and out, I stepped out of my car and headed into the building.

“Hello, Lauren!” Heather, Aaron’s assistant called out at me. “I’m so sorry about your mother.”

I sent her a small smile. “Thank you, Heather. I really appreciate your sympathy.”

“Have a great day!” Heather proclaimed.

I smiled at her. “You, too, Heather.”

“How are you holding up?” Aaron asked when I walked into the recording box.

As I pulled out my guitar and got situated, I answered, “I’m doing pretty well. It’s actually my brother that’s taking it the hardest.”

Aaron nodded his head. “It’s always hard to lose your mother, especially at such a young age like that.”

“He’s holding up pretty well, in complete honesty. He’s been crying a lot but I figure that’s quite normal. I just hope he gets over it.”

“I hope he does, too.”

“So, I wrote a few songs but I don’t really feel comfortable singing them quite yet.”

Aaron nodded, as did Jason, who had just walked in.

“I’m so sorry,” Jason said.

“It’s fine. So, uh, what do you want to hear today?”

“How about Love Story? Let’s go through the whole thing. I’m curious to see what you’ve done to it since we’ve last seen you.”

“All right. Well, I haven’t really done much at all, but I did change some chords around in the chorus.”

“So let’s hear it!”

I set my guitar on my lap and starting playing. When it was time for me to sing, I did.

”We were both young when I first saw you
I close my eyes
And the flashback starts
I'm standing there
On a balcony in summer air

See the lights
See the party, the ball gowns
I see you make your way through the crowd
And say hello, little did I know

That you were Romeo, you were throwing pebbles
And my daddy said stay away from Juliet
And I was crying on the staircase
Begging you please don't go, and I said

Romeo take me somewhere we can be alone
I'll be waiting all there's left to do is run
You'll be the prince and I'll be the princess
It's a love story baby just say yes

So I sneak out to the garden to see you
We keep quiet 'cause we're dead if they knew
So close your eyes
Escape this town for a little while

'Cause you were Romeo, I was a scarlet letter
And my daddy said stay away from Juliet
But you were everything to me
I was begging you please don't go and I said

Romeo take me somewhere we can be alone
I'll be waiting all there's left to do is run
You'll be the prince and I'll be the princess
It's a love story baby just say yes

Romeo save me, they try to tell me how to feel
This love is difficult, but it's real
Don't be afraid, we'll make it out of this mess
It's a love story baby just say yes
Oh oh

I got tired of waiting
Wondering if you were ever coming around
My faith in you is fading
When I met you on the outskirts of town, and I said

Romeo save me I've been feeling so alone
I keep waiting for you but you never come
Is this in my head? I don't know what to think
He knelt to the ground and pulled out a ring

And said, marry me Juliet
You'll never have to be alone
I love you and that's all I really know
I talked to your dad, go pick out a white dress
It's a love story baby just say yes

Oh, oh, oh, oh
'Cause we were both young when I first saw you”


“That was great, Lauren,” Jason exclaimed. “That was really great.”

“Fabulous,” Aaron added.

“Thanks.” I set my guitar down and picked up my water bottle.

“Is it too hot in here?” Aaron asked. “Because we can turn the air up.”

I shook my head. “I’m fine. Just a little thirsty, that’s all.”

“Are you sure?”

I laughed, and for the record, it felt good. “I’m sure, Aaron.”

“Alright. So how about some Fearless?”

“Sure.” I picked up my guitar and sang.
♠ ♠ ♠
I LOVE YOU GUYS.
<3

:D