Attention, Attention.

crushcrushcrush.

“Kellee! Wake up, summer’s over!” screeched my mom. As my eyes flickered open, the scent of pancakes, eggs, and bacon entered my nose. I stretched, kicking off the covers, and slipping out of bed.
“Coming mom!” I called groggily. I peeled off the clothes I had worn to bed, throwing them on my overfilling laundry basket. I walked to my closet, looking for something to fit my small frame. I was 5’5’’, and too skinny, according to my mom. Maybe it was because I was vegetarian, and I lived off bread and veggies. And pasta, mm, pasta’s good. And I love cheese, lots of it…but that’s off subject. Back to my closet…what to wear. I pulled a pair of dark skinny jeans out of the tightly packed clothes, and a white and black striped tank top, and proceeded to get the knots out of my brown hair. A few places were bleached to a white-blonde, and those were always the problem areas. After I was satisfied with how it looked, I framed my greenish blue eyes with a tiny bit of black eyeliner. I put in my nose ring, and walked downstairs.
“Mom, where’s my black and white and pink flip flops?” I called, glancing around the door.
“They’re in here!” I heard her answer. I followed her voice, giving my sister, who was gobbling down bacon, a look of disgust.
“You’re eating your own kind,” I said. She glared at me.
“Stop your vegetarian preaching!” she snapped. I rolled my eyes, taking a pancake and a glass of orange juice. I shoved it into my mouth.
“Can I drive alone? Haley’s in a bad mood,” I asked my mom. She shrugged.
“I suppose…” she said. I smiled.
“’Kay, I’m going now! Love you mom, bye!” I ran out to my car, an old beat up convertible with chipping blue paint. Regardless of how it looked, I loved it. I turned it on, smiling as the wheel vibrated slightly in my hands. I was at school sooner than I had planned. I was walking through the doors, the marble tiles under me gleaming. I set my backpack down next to my locker, and shoved my backpack into it. I walked to homeroom, where I’d spend all of the first few days of school.
“Kellee!” I heard someone squeal. I turned, seeing my best friend, Mike, just as he collided into me with a hug. I hugged back.
“I missed you!” I said, pulling away. “Your hair’s longer!” I said, smiling.
“Your hair’s…blonde!” he said, and I smiled. Michael Carden and I had been best friends since freshman year, and now it was the first day of our junior year.
“Kellee! Mike!” someone called, and my other best friend, Kylie, ran into us. I rested my head on her shoulder, hugging her tightly.
“Does Beckett still go to this school?” Mike asked, a look of sheer disgust on his face. Mike’s and William Beckett’s bands had been rivals since the end of sophomore year.
“Yeah…” I saw him roll his eyes. I sighed, resting my head in my hands and waiting for class to start. Soon, the room was filled, except for the desk between Kylie and me. Mike was sitting behind us, because the teacher knew we talked a lot. Even though we could sit near each other, we had to be at least a desk away, so we sat in a triangle form. As class started, a boy with ran in, out of breath.
“Sorry…my…car…broke…down,” he said, gasping for breath. As he turned to the class to search for a seat, Mike muttered something behind me. Soon, I was staring up into the familiar girlish features of William Beckett, which I tried to block out immediately. He took the seat beside mine. Soon, the familiar droning of the teacher blocked out all of my senses.

“I can’t believe he had to sit there!” Mike whined at lunch that day. “Of all empty spaces, it had to be near me!” He only stopped talking to shovel rice into his mouth. I scrunched up my face.
“Well…you have to admit he’s not that bad…” I said slowly. He stared blankly at me.
“Not that bad? He’s fucking…ugh! He’s just…he looks like a mother fucking girl!” came Mike’s reply, as he stumbled to find the right words. Obviously he couldn’t.
¬“Aw, Mike, see, you have no reason to hate him. Maybe you should just talk to him,” I suggested. He rolled his eyes, and I stuffed a forkful of noodles in my mouth.
“I do too,” he muttered. I looked across the room, not paying attention. “He was staring at you the whole class, and he probably likes you.” I blinked, suddenly snapping back to focus.
“Shut up,” I said, getting up and throwing out the last bit of my lunch and sitting alone at a different table. Soon, I was joined by Kylie.
“Why’d you do that?” she asked softly. I looked up at her.
“Because…” I trailed off, suddenly distracted by someone with longish hair and brown eyes.
“Kellee! Focus!” she said, waving her hand in front of my eyes. “Because why?”
“Because…I hate him, okay?” I lied.
“Okay, sorry,” she said, backing off. She got up, me following her lead.
“Coming, Carden?” I called, looking behind me at my best friend. He nodded, getting up from the table and joining us.
“I missed you guys,” I whispered to them, resting my head on Mike’s shoulder as we exited the building, waiting for lunch to end so we could go back in.