The College Stalker

BREAKAWAY

‘…dreaming of what could be
And if I’d end up happy
I would pray
And breakaway…’

The college counselor, RK Ma’am, had grown used to seeing me perched opposite her chair every other day. I first met her after I had broken down in tears during an internal examination. The class Prof had told me to go and see her at once. She was a wonderful guidance counselor and she always gave sound advice.
“Ma’am, I am in trouble yet again.” I announced my arrival, one Wednesday.
“Aria, I really wonder why you don’t get rid of this jerk of a boyfriend of yours.” RK Ma’am greeted back. “You really should concentrate on your studies. Be happy with friends and family, till the right one comes into the scene, dear.”
“I did break up with him,” I said quite truthfully, sitting down on my usual chair. “But he patched things up the very next day.”
“Possessive, insecure, chauvinist – h’m…I wonder what you saw in him.” She commented.
“Oh, let’s see,” I said in a sarcastic tone, “I was in school. I was stupid. And I had the bitchiest of friends.” I checked them off my fingers. “Yup, that’s why.”
RK Ma’am sighed.
She was the only one who knew how to handle me. I got nettled easily. And I had too much of attitude, all thanks to my fucked up relationship. Also (I don’t know if you’ve noticed) but I swear a lot and sarcasm runs in my blood.
“Aria, the only sensible thing for you to do is break up with him.” She insisted. “Try mixing with other people. They’ll soon appeal to you.”
“My boyfriend doesn’t approve of having guys as friends.” I muttered.
RK Ma’am rolled her eyes.
“Yeah, then go worship the ground beneath his feet.”
“I could never do that,” I said more to myself. “He needs someone to be crazily in love with him. But, I am one of those ‘normal’ people, who can never go out of their way to love someone.”
“To translate all that into simple language,” Ma’am was speaking in a tone as if I was a three year old and she was explaining to me that two plus two equals a four, “He doesn’t get you. You people aren’t compatible.”
“Wish I had known that seventeen months ago.”
“Why don’t you try talking it out with him?”
“If I had been successful in the attempt, I wouldn’t have been sitting here in this office, Ma’am.”
I got up. It was no use. The only sensible solution would be of no avail to me. I had to figure something out by myself. I needed to get him to break up with me.
As exited the door, someone came in. for a fleeting second I saw that familiar face before me.
Before I could fully realize who it was, I found myself out in the hallway. RK Ma’am’s voice came from behind the closed door.
“Hello Abhra. Haven’t seen you in awhile.”
So even my stalker needed to see the guidance counselor, eh? I wasn’t some kind of a retard, was I? Running to a counselor for help every single time something in my life went wrong.
Well, nothing in it ever went right…still…confusion swam in my head. I needed to breakaway from life. Forget everything that held me back. I had to reinvent myself.
Yeah, sure…but how the fuck was I supposed to do that?
I headed towards the first year classroom.

‘I’ll spread my wings
And I’ll learn how to fly
I’ll do what it takes
Till I touch the sky…’
♠ ♠ ♠
Breakaway is a song by Kelly Clarkson.
Enjoying this drabble so far, I hope?