Midnight Runner

Chapter 14: Yell.

The bike glitched and as soon Paige and the bike hit the ground it flipped, spun around the corner passing Jacob and skidded on it’s side all the way into trees. “Paige!!” Jacob yelled running as fast as he could to her aid. He pulled her out from under the bike noticing she was bleeding but didn’t look like she had any broken bones.

“Paige, Paige!!” I herd Jacob yelling my name in fear. “I’m fine, Jake.” I gasped opening my eyes as I tried to grin. “How are you okay, did you just see what happened to you?” Jacob said lifting me up from the ground. “No I couldn’t see cause I was the one that was getting the beating.” I chuckled lightly trying to get Jake in a better mood because I didn’t hurt as much as I should. “Stop it, this isn’t funny your Uncle is going to kill me!” Jacob said walking back the way we came. “Jake stop I don’t have any broken bones, I’ll probably be really sore with bruises but besides that I’m just peachy.” I looked up to him trying to smile.

“That’s not helping.” He sighed looking from me to the road ahead. “Seriously, if I feel fine then you shouldn’t be worrying.” I looked at him shaking my head. “If you could look at yourself now you would see how bad you look and how much you’re bleeding!” He yelled at me again. “Stop yelling!” I shouted at him while he gave me a sad glare. “That doesn’t help the situation.” I sighed crossing my arms or what I could of it. He carried me in silence until finally we approached the front door to Uncle Mark’s house noticing that he wasn’t home.

Jake walked in setting me down on the counter in the kitchen. “What are you doing?” I asked him as I watched him grab a washcloth from the clean clothesbasket. “Washing off your wounds.” He answered sarcastically. “I can do it myself.” I said back grabbing the washcloth from him. “No, you can barley move and I’m the one who got you in this mess the first place!” He yelled yanking it back from me. “Jake stop it!” I yelled back at him trying to yank it from him as he started to play tug a war with me. “Jake, why are you being so mean!?” I yelled at him still having a hold of the washcloth. “I’m not!” He looked at me in the eyes still having a firm grip of the cloth. “Yes, you are!” I tugged back at the washcloth pulling away from him as hard as I could. “I’m not, Paige!” Jacob pulled back forcing me to fall into him.

My eyes were shut so I saw nothing but my lips felt a weird warming sensation, my face was getting warm and I figured it was about time to open my eyes. I slowly and steadily opened my eyes to see my lips pressed against Jacob’s. My heart started pounding, my face turned red and I soon pulled away just looking away in embarrassment. “Uh.” Jacob stopped turning around putting his hand over his mouth and shaking his head. “Uh…um…look…uh…sorry.” He stuttered. “No…uh…I’m sorry.” I blushed even more. He turned back around not looking me in the eyes. “Lets clean your wounds before Mark shows up.” He looked at me for one second as I gave him the washcloth.

Silence once again. Perfect. Just Perfect. Jacob had just got done washing off the blood on my legs and lifted up my arm. “Ow!” I yelled as he was going to bend it back to clean my elbow. “Oh, sorry.” He said with a sensitive voice. “It’s okay.” I sighed looking away as I could tell I was going to blush again.

30 more minutes passed before Jacob got done. “About earlier.” He paused. “It’s fine, I understand you get angry sometimes.” I smiled a caring smile. “No that’s not what I was going to talk about.” Jacob replied back with. I wished he didn’t bring up the kiss, that was my first kiss but knowing it was my first kiss and it was Jake made it better. “Uh, never mind.” He laughed to himself shaking the thought from his head. “Okay.” I turned to the front to where my legs dangled off the table. “I better change.” I jumped off from the counter but when I reached the ground I almost collapsed. “Ugh, you just got into a near death accident…be careful.” Jacob shook his head helping me up the stairs, to my room and onto my bed.

I sat there and Jacob stood there with his arms crossed. “Uh, Jake I can’t change clothes with you standing there.” I looked at him. “Oh…yah…uh sorry I’ll step out.” He closed the door and I hobbled over to the closet pulling out my moose pajamas and slipping into them as I hobbled back over to my bed. “It’s safe!” I yelled so he would come back in. He then sat down on the bed next to me with a sorrowful look on his face. “Hey, sorry about earlier.” He said and I could tell he meant the accident. “Nah, Jacob it’s fine I have no broken bones.” I put my hand on his shoulder and grinned. “That’s not the point Paige.” He said with a depressed voice and continued. “The first time I went riding with Bella it felt so good just to have a person I care about doing something I wanted and so with you I rushed you and for that I’m sorry.” Jacob looked at me with the worst downhearted expression he could. “And I’m sorry for pushing you away from Bella, I know how much you care for her.” I sighed I knew I didn’t want to say that but I needed to. “That’s alright, after that day she hasn’t been around me she’s been with her bloodsucker boyfriend.” He chuckled nudging me. “Anyways you’re a little more fun to be around.” A smile grew back to his face, which made me leer.

Hours had passed and the night bloomed from the sky and the stars sparkled as they stood by the moon creating an illuminating and enjoyable night. Jacob and I laid on my bed talking, laughing and crying because we laughed so hard. “I’m going to have to go soon.” Jacob said as he slowed his laughing. “Well can you at least wait until I fall asleep before you decide to sneak out?” I asked in a pleading voice. “Yah, that’s the least I can do.” He sighed again lifting up a light blanket and placing it on me. I turned to my right side since I always slept better on that side anyways. I laid there with him and it felt a little awkward. “Thanks Jake.” I said before I closed my eyes. “For what…but yah your welcome.” He said placing a warm hand on the side of my cheek.

Jacob laid there watching Paige. “I have to tell you this.” Words spoke from his lips, pausing for a moment. “I love you more than you know.” He paused again. “But we were never meant to be and I know this from experience.” He exhaled in a deep breath trying to finish his point. “We can’t even be friends or it will alter your life in a bad way.” His hot breath whispered in her ear. “Don’t worry your cured of your heart disease and still come over to La Push to see the others.” He laughed lightly to himself. “Just not me…we have to move on.” He took another deep breath. “Find someone normal.” Those were the last words he spoke before he walked to the window, looking back at the future he was leaving.