Life on Banana Street

Abusive Much?

It’s been about a week since me and Gabe got married and I was happier than ever. Except for 2 small details. 1. Billie 2. The baby “Gabe!”

“Yeah?” He was cooking.

“Can you come in here for a minute?”

“Yeah, hold on. Let me put the soup on the stove.”

“Ok, take your time.” A few minutes later, he came in the living room, taking off his mittens and apron.

“You wanted to see me?”

“I have something to tell you.”

“Anything.” He sat down beside me and put his arm around me.

“Gabe, I’m pregnant.” His eyes grew big.

“P-P-Pregnant? With a child?”

“No, with a dog. Of course a child!” He breathed out slowly.

“How long?”

“I’m not sure, but it’s been a few weeks.”

“Well…There’s only one thing we can do.”

“What?”

“Take care of it. It is mine isn’t it?”

“Yes, I haven’t done it with anyone else.”

“If it turns out to be Asian…” He laughed.

“No, I didn’t. It was too weird.” He kissed me softly and went back to cooking. Would Gabe really be there for me when I need him? Of course he would. He loves me; He would never leave me… Would he? I woke up the next morning and Gabe wasn’t there. What was there was a note. Babe, I’ll be back later, went out with friends. -Gabe Great. Well I’ll be like him and go out with my friends too. So I left him the same note, only if I had any friends to go out with. I called Tre. I had something to tell him.

“Hello?”

“Hey Tre.”

“Oh hey Addie, what’s up?”

“Nothing much, I just wanted to talk to you.”

“About what?”

“It’s a surprise. Meet me at the coffee shop ASAP.”

“K, bye.” I hung up and headed to the coffee shop. There’s nothing like cold coffee in the morning. A few minutes later after I arrived, Tre was there. “You wanted to see me?” He had the smile on his face I always loved.

“Tre, there’s something I never told you.” He looked puzzled.

“What?”

“When we were going out, remember when I was gone for about a year?”

“Yeah, what were you doing?”

“Tre this isn’t easy, but-”

“You cheated on me didn’t you.”

“No, I never did. I…I was recovering.”

“Recovering from what?”

“The child.” He spat out his coffee into the people next to us.

“What child?”

“You got me pregnant Tre. When I was 14. My mom took me away because she didn’t want me to see you again. But, you know, she was high when she said that, and she forgot all about it and brought me back a few months after it was born.”

“A child? I-I’m a father?”

“Were. I have no idea what they did to the kid, hell it’s probably not even alive, but I’m sure they found it a nice foster home.” There was silence for a minute.

“How come you never told me about this?”

“I didn’t tell anyone except my mom. If that got out, I would be the slut of the school.”

“No one can top Maria.” I laughed silently.

“It hurt me as much as it hurts you right now.” I laughed to myself. “You’ll never know what giving birth feels like.” He smiled an uncomfortable smile.

“Addie, why won’t you take me back? We talk just like old friends, I dedicated my heart to you, I never meant to hurt you.”

“Then why did you? If I hadn’t of gone into the house that night, and we were still together, would you still be cheating on me?”

“No, it’s a one-time event. Carly, she just, I don’t know but it was horrible. I was feeling bad that night and she was there to take you to a party, and she just came onto me.” At the same time, I loved two men. Gabe…and Tre.

“I love you Tre, but…” He didn’t know. “I’m married.”

“What?”

“Yes, I got married, I wasn’t ready and it’s probably gonna end in a divorce. I’ll call ya.” I got up and went back home, by then Gabe was already home.

“Hey I was worried sick about you, where have you been?”

“I was out getting coffee. I decided I didn’t want to make any so I went and got some.” He smiled and went into the kitchen to make breakfast. “Gabe can you come here for a second. There’s something I never told you.” He walked in the door and sat down across from me.

“Yeah?”

“I’ve been pregnant before.”

“With who?”

“Tre, when I was madly in love with him. I was 14, young and stupid.”

“Live, learn, then get a condom.”

“But that’s the thing! He did use one.”

“Well what happened to the kid?” I told him the whole story.

-A Few Nights Later-

“Shut up don’t tell me what to do!”

“I can do whatever the hell I want, woman and you can’t do anything about it!”

“Oh yes I can! I can divorce your ass faster than the speed of light!”

“Impossible! I would never sign those papers!”

“Oh yeah, just tell it to my lawyer!”

“What lawyer?”

“The one I’m about to hire! See you in court!” I walked to the door but he grabbed my arm.

“No, you’re not leaving me again!”

“Let me go right now!”

“Not until you say you’re staying and you mean it.”

“Then I guess you’re gonna have to hold onto me forever because I’m never going to mean it!” He pulled me back into the house and slammed the door.

“You never speak to me like that again!” I spit in his face and his instinct was of course to slap me. So I slapped that hoe back. I’ll slap a hoe.

“You never touch me Gabe! What happened to you?”

“I got married that’s what happened! And I’ll touch you whenever and where ever I want.” He put a smug look on and started rubbing my waist. So I slapped that hoe again.

“Don’t touch me again!” I ran from the house to what I thought was Tre’s house. I knocked on the door and relieved, he answered the door.

“Addie what are you doing here?” I was crying silently and made my way inside. “Ok, come on in.” I sat on his couch and he sat by me putting his arm around me. “What’s wrong?”

“I’m getting a divorce, I don’t care what he says.”

“What happened?”

“I don’t remember how it started, but he slapped me.”

“He hit you?” His face grew larger than it already was.

“Yes, so I hit him back.” He shook his head.

“So, does this mean we’re back together?”

“I don’t know, I mean I’d love to, but it wouldn’t be the same.”

“It doesn’t have to be the same, I can do everything to make you happier than you already are.”

“That’s sweet Tre, and I know you would. If we never broke up, you think we’d still be together?”

“Of course. Together forever, like you always said, but no. I had to go and ruin it.” I couldn’t take it anymore. I went over to him and kissed him like old times. “Wow, I love you too.” He smiled and we kissed again. Man I’m such a slut. One guy after the other. All of a sudden, interrupting our reunion on the couch, Gabe busted through the door.

“Oh, so you’re cheating on me huh? That’s it you’re never leaving me. If I can’t have you, nobody can!” He grabbed my arms and dragged me on the floor to the door.

“Tre! Do something!”

“Hey Ugly!” He yelled at Gabe.

“You talking to me?”

“Yeah cause you’re the only Ugly here!” Gabe punched him in the nose with a nice crack.

“You don’t talk to me like that, bitch. Only I can talk to her like that.” He motioned towards me and I squirmed a little. “Settle down, whore!”

“You bastard!” Tre yelled and punched him in the eye and then kicked him in the balls. “You don’t talk to her like that! You don’t deserve her! What did she ever do to you?”

“She married me! I’m afraid of commitment!”

“That’s no damn reason to treat a wonderful lady like that. You’re nothing more than a piece of shit.”

“Aw, he’s in love.”

“That doesn’t hurt me. I love her more than you ever will. I know her more than you ever will. Just give up.”

“Fine, if you want her that bad, just take her and I’ll sign the damn papers if she wants to be a little whore!”

“Just sign the papers Gabe! There’s no use for name calling you bipolar bastard!”

“Hypocritical much?”

“No, that was the last one.” He dropped my arms which landed with a plop on my face.

“I’ll leave you hoes alone.” He left and there was an awkward silence. He finally helped me up off the ground and I made my way to the bed… I was going to sleep.

“Ok, you can sleep here I guess. I’ll sleep on the couch.”

“Tre, you know you can always sleep up here.”

“No, I better not.”

“Suit yourself.”