Sequel: Second Heartbeat

If I Was Perfect,Then This Would Be Easy

Bedtime

I could hear the boys' voices.

"Do you think she's dead?" "Johnny, you're a dumbass." "Yeah, she couldn't have possibly died from such a small fall. Right?"

"She's alive," someone said very irritated. It was my voice.

My eyes finally opened. My head was buzzing, and my right arm hurt like a bitch.

"What happened?" I asked slowly. "You fell from the stairs!" I heard Emily say.

She was in the kitchen.

"Oh," I said rubbing my head. "You scared the shit out of me!" Brian said hugging me tightly. I hugged him back.

"I'm okay. I'm a klutz, remember?" I said.

"Don't joke," he said firmly.

Brian must've been really worried because he clung to me for two minutes.

"It's okay," I repeated to him. "I should've been there," he said. "I should watch my steps. It's my fault." I said. "No, not for that." He said.

He let go of me.

"Emily, told me." He said quietly.

The rest of the guys got tired of Brian and me hugging. They were all in the kitchen with Emily, making our little dinner.

"Told you what?" I asked. I wasn't sure what he was getting at, and I wanted to know.

"About your dad," he said not looking at me.

I got up from the couch.

"What the hell?" I screamed.

"It's okay." He said. He looked surprised. I guess this wasn't the reaction he thought I was going to have.

"No, it's not!" I yelled.

I never anyone to know, no one. Especially Brian, my best friend. He would look at me in an entire different perspective.

"Brian," I whispered. "What?" he asked.

"Don't ever treat me any differently than you do, okay?" I asked looking at him with hopeful eyes.

He stared at me.

"You're still the short crazy girl I met." He said smiling. "Brian!" I said wrapping my arms around his neck.

"I love you," I whispered. "I love you too, Emma." He said hugging me back.

I felt the tears trinkle down my cheeks.

"Don't cry," he said. "Why did she tell you," I asked not letting go of him. "We all saw the bruises," he said quietly.

"How?" I asked letting go of him. "When you fell, we checked to see if you were hurt anywhere. Then we saw all of them," he said not looking at me.

I looked down at the ground.

"Did she tell the other guys?" I asked. "No," he said.

"Good, I don't want anyone else to ever find out about it." I said. "They have to know eventually." he said softly.

His hand softly caressed my cheek, causing me to smile softly.

"No, they don't. We can go on pretending that this little incident ever happened." I said wiping my tears away.

I had to be strong for once in my life.

"Are you sure? They are your friends, they deserve to know." He said wiping my other cheek.

"I'm sure. They deserve to not know. They'd worry, and I'd ruin everyone's fun." I said smiling.

He smiled back at me.

"You know, you're so brave." He said.

I shook my head.

"I'm never brave," I said.

Brian was about to say something, when Emma called for us.

"Time to eat," she sang out.

I smiled at Brian as we walked into the dining room. Looks like we were having mac 'n' cheese. Not one of my favorites, but I didn't cook, so I wasn't going to complain.

"Thanks, whoever cooked." I said. "You're welcome," Zacky said.

"Oooh, Zacky did the cooking?" Brian teased. "Yeah, everyone else was too busy talking to do anything. I had to take charge or we'd all be eating chips and dip." Zacky said.

"I love men who cook," I said as I sat down happily. I didn't see the grin that formed on Zacky's face.

We all ate in a hurry and in silence. It was one of the first times that I was ever in a room with all these guys, and they were quiet. I was absolutely amazed.

"Is it bad?" I heard someone say.

I looked over, and Zacky was staring at me.

"Why?" I asked. "You're not eating," he said. "No, I was just amazed." I said. "It's just mac 'n' cheese." He said confused. "No, everyone's so quiet." I said pointing at everyone.

He just nodded.

As soon as everyone was done eating, I did the dishes. I had to insist, considering I made everyone worry about me and my horrible bruises.

Emma and Brian insisted that I sat down and rested, but I told them if they did the dishes, I would go fall the stairs again.

I walked into the living room to see everyone laid out everywhere. I guess today was sort of tiring.

Sure enough just like she promised, Emma was snuggled up against Johnny. They were sleeping on one of the couches. It was quite adorable. He had his arm over her, almost as if he was protecting her.

Jimmy was passed out near the stairs, muttering to himself. A blanket was sprawled over his body.

Matt took over the couch, while Brian was sleeping in the loveseat.

I looked for Zacky, but he wasn't around. A door closed, and I turned to see Zacky walking out of the bathroom.

"Did I really take that long?" He asked. "I don't know," I said.

"They were just talking about where everyone was going to sleep," he said. "I guess they just all passed out," I said shrugging my shoulders.

I could feel another awkward silence coming up.

"So where are we sleeping," Zacky asked. "I don't know. There isn't anywhere else left," I said. "You have a bed, but I guess I could sleep on the ground." Zacky said.

"No, I couldn't let you sleep on the ground. Maybe Emma and me should've planned something out," I said.

"But I do have a bed you can use," I said. "Where are you gonna sleep then?" He asked.

"Emma's room," I said smiling.

He nodded. We went upstairs, and I felt my heart drop. Emma's room was locked.

Darn.

"So you'll be sleeping in your bed, while I get the floor." Zacky said nodding. "No," I said thinking.

"Well, there isn't anywhere left." He said.

He was right. My parents bedroom was off-limits no matter what. The family room was locked, Emma's room was locked.

I guess the only place left was my room.

"I don't see why we both can't sleep in my bed." I said. "Sure, we're friends after all." He said nodding. "Good, let's go then." I said cheerfully.

When we got to my room, I got nervous.

My heart was racing. I was actually going to share a bed with Zacky. Zacky seemed pretty calm, and I knew why.

He felt nothing I felt towards me.

"I'm gonna get changed," I said digging through my drawers.

He just nodded. I grabbed my clothes, and I ran to the bathroom. I closed the door.

"What am I doing?" I asked myself. I shook my head. I got changed quickly, leaving my clothes in the bathroom.

I walked back into my room quietly.

I didn't notice how cold it was until I got in there. Maybe I should've worn more to bed. A cami and short shorts weren't enough at all.

Since the guys knew about the bruises, I guess I could wear more revealing clothes now. Sure, they'd want answers, but I can always say no to them.

I slowly got into the bed, seeing that Zacky was already asleep.

It took me a very long time to go to sleep. Here I was in the same bed as my crush, and my heart was pounding against my chest.

I thought the sound of my heart beating alone would wake Zacky up. Soon I fell asleep, thinking of how awkward tomorrow could be. I hoped it wouldn't.