Sequel: Second Heartbeat

If I Was Perfect,Then This Would Be Easy

Teachers go on strike?

I woke up to the very same shining morning. I took a quick shower, and I got dressed.

Today was going to be great. I smiled as I heard a bird chirp. I haven't seen my dad since that horrible night, and it made me very happy.

He wasn't gonna be anywhere near me for a while, I hoped.

I ran downstairs, and I went straight for the door. I wasn't gonna let my dad or Tania ruin my day. I pretty much sat down at the same bench, waiting for someone to come to school.

"Hey," I heard someone say.

I looked over my shoulder to see Zacky.

"Hey," I said back.

This was going to be very awkward. Zacky sat down next to me.

"So what are you doing here so early?" I asked. "No reason," he said looking at the streets.

It suddenly became quiet.

"What about you? I mean, about being here early." He said looking over at me.

I looked over at him.

"Just don't want a ride with my step-mom." I said. "Oh, is she a bitch?" He asked. "A huge one," I said sighing.

It was quiet again.

"Actually, I did come here for a reason." Zacky said looking at the bench top. "Hmm?" I asked.

"I wanted to say that I was sorry." He said sighing. "About what?" I asked looking down at my hands.

"Assuming that your sister was a prep. I shouldn't have judged so quickly," Zacky said.

I could feel his gaze on me, and it made me nervous.

I looked up at him, looking into those eyes. They were just about the only thing I liked about him.

"I forgive you," I said.

I saw his face lighten up.

"Good, I felt really bad about it," he said sighing.

I shrugged.

"So why did you run from me?" Zacky asked me. "When?" I asked, fully knowing when he was talking about.

"You know, don't act like you don't." He said. "You scared me," I said looking him straight in the eyes.

"How?" He asked. "It was your eyes," I said.

His eyes were beautiful, but they gave off such a scary vibe. Even now, they made me want to shiver and run.

"My eyes?" He asked.

He had a confused look on his face.

I nodded.

"Usually people like them," he said looking down. "I do like them, but they scare me." I said.

I did want him to look at me, mostly because of those eyes.

He finally looked up at me.

"Why do they scare you?" He asked. "They're so piercing. It's like you now what I'm thinking, and I don't like that." I said looking down.

There was another awkward silence.

I looked down at my hands.

"That's sort of ironic, considering I never know what you're thinking." Zacky said chuckling. "That's good," I mumbled.

"Hey, assholes!" I heard someone yell. "Hi, Johnny." I said smiling.

Emily's secret just made me smile more. Why she liked this guy, I had no idea.

Johnny just smiled at me.

"So why are you here so early?" Zacky asked.

I swear I saw Zacky glaring at Johnny, but it seemed to disappear in a flash.

"No reason," Johnny said looking at me. It suddenly became silent again.

"So I heard you're coming to our practice," Johnny said. "Yup, I gotta see how much you guys suck." I said.

"Well, the others suck, but I am a pro." Johnny said smirking. "From what Zacky was telling me, it seems like you're the worst." I said.

I absolutely loved playing with Johnny. He was taking everything so seriously.

He looked over to Zacky, who just shrugged.

"Fuck you," Johnny said sitting down near me. "It's okay, Johnny." I said rubbing his back.

He just nodded, resting his head on my shoulder.

"Hey, Emma." I heard Brian's voice say.

I stood up quickly, causing Johnny to fall over. I ran over to Brian, and I gave him a big hug.

"Hey, you made me fall!" I heard Johnny yell. "Sorry, but I gotta hug my main man." I said hugging Brian's arm.

I looked over to Zacky, who was just staring into the streets.

I heard the bell ring.

"School time," I said letting go of Brian. "Great, right?" He said sarcastically.

I nodded, walking into the school entrance. Zacky and I went into English, to hear very good news.

"The teachers went on strike?" Zacky asked smiling.

The sub just nodded.

"They want more money put into the school's funds." She said. "So today is a free day?" I asked hopefully.

She just nodded. I got so happy.

"Yes!" I said happily. I grabbed the closest person to me, and I hugged them tightly.

"I'm so happy," I said hugging even tighter.

I didn't feel the other person I was hugging hug back, so I assumed I grabbed someone that didn't like me.

I looked up to see Zacky. I let go of him quickly.

"Sorry," I mumbled. "It's okay," he said.

I didn't dare look at him. I felt Zacky's presence leave.

I felt someone put their hand on my shoulder.

"Did you honestly think I'd forget about you?" I heard them say. I rolled my eyes.

"Get your hand off me," I said angrily. "See that's what I hate about you," the voice said.

I pried his hand off me, and I turned to see Josh.

"And you know what's wrong with you?" I asked glaring. "Nothing," he said quickly.

I rolled my eyes.

"Everything," I said. "Bitch," he said. "Dumbass," I shot back. "I should fucking beat the shit out of you right now," Josh said raising his fist.

I stood there, waiting for his fist to hit me with my eyes closed tightly.

The impact never came.

I opened my eyes slowly to see Zacky holding Josh's wrist.

"Let go, Zachary Baker." Josh said angrily. "Don't you ever raise your hand against her," Zacky said glaring.

His eyes were so piercing I thought he could've killed with his looks.

Josh jerked his wrist out of Zacky's grasp.

"Don't threaten me," Josh said walking away.

Zacky rolled his eyes.

"You okay," he asked me. His eyes instantly turned soft. I just nodded.

"Thank you, Zacky." I said. I felt a smile creep up on my lips. He smiled back at me.

The bell rang, and I walked out the door with Zacky.

"Emma!" I heard Brian yell. "Brian, isn't it great? The teachers are all gone," I said smiling wide.

"I know, no more teachers." He yelled.

I hugged him tightly. I felt Brian lift me up, and he swung me around. I laughed like crazy. Brian finally set me down.

"This is the best day ever," Brian said hugging me. "I know," I said catching my breath.

I could feel someone staring at me, and I broke away from Brian's hold.

I only saw Zacky walking away.

"Let's go to class," Brian said grabbing my hand. "Okay," I said following him.

What was Zacky's problem?
♠ ♠ ♠
So I finally have some readers, so that makes me super happy.