Bite Me

On Pins And Needles

We went out looking for Nick, weapons in hand. I think Pete was more worried about me and how I was feeling. He knew that I may be stronger but he wasn’t sure if I could take on Natasha and her goons yet. Plus I knew he was worried what would happen to me if Nick was hurt.
Everyone split into two groups and would search the city in opposite directions, meeting in the middle on Ninth Street where a lot of our Beckett encounters occur. My mind raced and so did my heart. Was he stupid? I was not going to lose him again. I lost him once out of my life and I won’t make that happen again.
We searched with no luck until everyone had made it onto Ninth Street together, parking our cars. It was eerily quiet out. There weren’t much business down this street but empty buildings that vampires liked to hang out. Then I heard shouting from a side street and I bolted with Pete hollering and trailing after me.
I stopped when I saw that Nick was fighting Beckett. Natasha and her goons along with some dandies were watching near by. Instinct told me to be stupid and run over there which I did. “Are you stupid?” I said pushing Nick out of the way.
I could see he was hurt as I threw him on the ground. Then I faced Beckett who started fighting with me. The scoobies came were close behind.
“I see you brought the whole gang. Wait you are supposed to be dead. That was the word on the street.” Beckett said.
“What? How?” Natasha asked running over to Beckett. “They killed you. We saw you collapse!” She exclaimed.
“Well, I guess you can’t keep a good slayer down. What can I say? I’m back and ready for a rematch. And this time you aren’t getting away.” I said attacking Natasha.
While I was attacking, her goons came over and started to attack me from behind. She backed off. I turned to see Pete had quickly stopped squabbling with Beckett to help.
“Oh no you don’t!” Pete said fighting one of the goons.
“Be careful!” I yelled tag teaming him to switch off every now and then.
“Always.” He replied.
All my anger and frustration came out. I refused to be their victim. I attacked with everything in me. Everyone else was fighting the dandies while Beckett and Natasha watched away from the action as usual. Only Pete and I attacked the goons.
I fought hard and I was attacked hard. These guys weren’t going down without a fight and I was definitely going to give it to them. I was kicked, punched and knocked into a wall several times, all not fazing me one bit. I got up and attacked harder letting all my rage come out. They made me fear them and no more was I going to. They were both getting tired and fearing me.
“You think you could fool us?” One of the twin goons said. “Why don’t you give up now and maybe we will spare your boyfriend here.” The one I was fighting said.
“I think I will pass. You see I did that, been there, and done that once before. It’s your turn now.” I said slamming the one I was fighting hard into a car, breaking the windows. He was trapped in the car and I made my move and staked him. One was dead and a rush of relief occurred over me as I watched him turn to dust.
I turned to see Pete was still going at it with the other twin. The twin had seen that I had killed his brother. I started to head over to where Pete and the other goon were fighting because they had somehow moved back far from me. Then I saw the goon stab Pete’s right leg with something, I wasn’t sure of. Then I watched Pete fall to the ground. I heard Natasha laugh at me as I ran to Pete. I made it to him in time as I saw the goon try to stake Pete. I pushed the goon into a trash can.
I stood in front Pete and picked up a crow bar that was on the street and went at it with the goon who then shoved me to the ground bruising and scraping skin on my chin. That sent me over the edge. You mess with my boyfriend and that’s it.
I saw Pete try to get up but hollered in pain as I was protecting him and myself from the goon’s attacks. “Pete, don’t move.” I yelled.
“I can’t go anywhere anyways.” He said trying to scoot back against a building.
I was so focused on defeating this guy that I didn’t realize I had saved Pete’s life. He would have been killed if I didn’t make it to him in time. I saw it in his eyes. But what I hadn’t realized and no one had paid attention to was Nick went back to fighting Beckett. I was too wrapped up in protecting Pete and trying to kill the vampire that had almost killed me to notice. I assumed he was fighting along everyone else.
Bev and Erelin ran over to Pete once they had killed the vampires that had gone after them. Each of them was a little bruised and helped Pete to stand up, each keeping a watch for more vampires. Pete was leaning on them for support with his hurt leg up.
I backed the twin that was left into a wall and for the first time grabbed him by the neck and lifted him up against the wall. Erelin, Bev, and Pete were amazed at my strength and were trying to say something to me but I tuned them out. This was my fight now and I was finishing it. No more nightmares because they couldn’t hurt me anymore.
The goon tried to speak but I cut him off. I grabbed a stake from my back pocket and held it up. My adrenaline was pumping and my emotions were running high. I was the one in control and it was going to stay that way.
“How does it feel now to be the one that fears? This is my town and you aren’t welcome in it. Why? Because I am the slayer.” I said slamming the stake into his chest so hard. The last of Natasha’s goons were dead. My neck seemed better and I felt at peace. Before I had time to react, I heard Pete yell, “Amanda look out!”
Natasha screamed, “No! That wasn’t supposed to happen. You are supposed to die!” She yelled knocking me to the ground.
We both fought and wrestled on the ground. She had knocked my stake out of my hand and I was trying to hold her off from biting me. But something made us both turn our attention to Beckett.
Natasha and I both watched helplessly as if it was a gut instinct, to see Beckett and Nick going at it. I had already seen Nick get hurt and I had told him he was stupid. Now all I could do was watch. It was like I couldn’t move.
Natasha and I both finally were able to stand up and we both screamed, “No!” We took off towards Beckett but were too late. I was so close to pushing Nick out of the way but I wasn’t close enough. I saw Beckett pull out his knife and stake Nick in the heart. My world collapsed and Nick turned to me holding the knife in his heart and taking a few steps towards me. He collapsed in my arms and before he turned to dust touched my cheek and whispered, “I will always love you, Red, and be with you.”
He turned to dust right in my arms. I couldn’t move. I was speechless.
I got up and started after Beckett who quickly turned and took off. Natasha had disappeared too. I just broke down in tears and started to scream. Then I started to go in Beckett’s direction. I was going to find him. My first love was gone for good. I failed. I said I wouldn’t lose him again from my life and I did. I loved him. He had to know. Now I know what Dracula meant when he told me I could only save one. I chose to save Pete. It was my fault Nick died. I should have been more careful. I went in this so reckless. I could have saved both couldn’t I if I paid better attention to what was happening around me.
Joe and Andy grabbed me before I could take off. I fought them and kicked them trying to break free. It took Brendon and Patrick to try and hold me down to not run off after Beckett.
“Let me go!” I screamed. “It’s my fault! He wasn’t supposed to die. Beckett is going to pay! No! You can’t do this to me. Let me go!” I yelled trying to fight.
“Amanda.” Pete said calmly limping over to me.
“Pete.” I said tears streaming down my face.
“I let him die. He died in my arms. I couldn’t save him.” I said crying now with the boys letting me go. I went into Pete’s arms and he held me.
“Shh. It wasn’t your fault. We will get through this.” He said holding me.
“How?” I asked looking into his loving, concerned eyes.
The next thing I knew Pete wiped my tears and bent down to kiss me. In his kiss was calming effect that made me very sleepy. I tried to fight it and broke away from his kiss but he won out and I passed out into Brendon’s arms.