Falling For a Ghost? How Is That Even Possible?

A Choice of Destiny

“That’s your ball?” Cale asked, nodding towards the bowling ball in my arms.

I walked past him and placed it in the area where the balls came back to you. I don’t know what it’s called. Sorry. “Yeah, so?” I looked down and admired the bright orange bowling ball.

“It’s like… five pounds!”

I grinned. “Haven’t you noticed? I’m a weak little girl. I can’t handle those fifteen pounders.”

Cale blinked. “Fine, whatever. It doesn’t matter. I’ll beat you anyways. Now move out of the way, it’s my turn.”

I mockingly saluted. “Yes, sir!” then went to take my place in a chair. Cale slipped his hand around his big black ball (AN: No! Not that! Geez, pervs…), brought it up to eye level, took a few steps, and then let the ball roll.

It shot down the slick lane and demolished the pins. Strike.

He turned back to me and grinned. I got up from my seat and walked past him without a glance. I picked up my ball and centered myself in front of the lane. I brought it up to my face, took a few steps, and then let go. It shot down the lane and destroyed the pins.

I smiled happily, turned around, and jumped up and down. “Yay! Victory!” Truth was, I sucked at bowling. I’d get a strike or spare here and there only because of luck. But Cale didn’t need to know that…

Cale rolled his eyes at me. “Yeah, yeah, I bet that’s just gonna be a onetime thing.”

I stuck my tongue at him and sat in the seat. He smiled at me then went to bowl. I almost lost my breath as his hair fell in his eyes when he bent over to pick up a ball. I didn’t know what it was about him. The sound of his voice, the dreamy look in his eyes, his air of confidence, or maybe it was simply the unexplained way he looked at me. I couldn’t deny it.

I was falling for him.

“Hey, Amy!” Someone yelled, startling me. I looked up to see Austin making his way through a crowd of people and over to me. He rubbed the back of his neck then half smiled at me. “Amy, I know I really don’t deserve for your forgiveness, but I’m asking for it. Again. I overreacted way too much, and I’m really, really sorry. Please, I can’t stand for you to be mad at me.” His eyes were pleading and honest.

I sighed and felt a cold presence behind me. I knew it was Cale without having to look. I shrugged. “I forgive you, Austin, but you must understand, I wasn’t lying. Cale is a…ghost.” I stared into his green eyes, hoping he’d see the truth.

He shrugged. “I don’t care about that, Amy…” He took my hand and started pulling me away. “Here, lets talk somewhere more private.”

I looked back quickly and motioned for Cale to stay. He took a step forward, but stayed where he was. He respected me enough to do what I asked, even if he didn’t agree with it.

Austin took us outside the Play Center where hardly anyone was around. We walked a little ways from the door, and then he spoke. My heart was beating fast because I had no idea what he was going to say. He surprised me when he showed up in there.

“Amy,” he started. “I don’t care if Cale is a ghost. I don’t know if I believe it or not, but it doesn’t matter. And you know why?” He took my shoulders and looked deep into my eyes. “Because I’m going to fight for you. I don’t care who is my rival, I’m still going to fight for you. I like you, Amy, a lot. I just hope that you’ll give me a chance.” He said the last part quietly and pleadingly.

My heart began to twist like a pretzel. “Austin…I… I don’t know what to say.” And I didn’t. Austin was a nice guy, and I did like him. He was cute, sweet, just about any girl’s dream guy. And then there was Cale. Cale was beyond beautiful, smart, nice, sweet, but the only thing was that he’s a ghost. And Austin’s not. I could be happy with Austin. I could… I could…

“Amy, I’m not done.” He still had a grip on my shoulders. “You are an amazing girl. You’re smart, funny, nice, fun, beautiful, and everything else. You deserve to be with someone who will care for you, who care about your feelings, someone who could love you…”

I closed my eyes gently and nodded. “Austin, I have to go back inside…” He let go of my shoulders, and I reopened my eyes. He still had a hold of my hand when we arrived back to the bowling lane. Cale was sitting in a seat with his head in his hands. He looked like a wreck.

“Amy!” He said quickly, getting up, while shooting a glare towards Austin. “Everything okay?”

I let my hand slip out of Austin’s and walked towards him. “Yeah, I’m-”

“He didn’t try anything did he? Are you okay?”

“Excuse me,” Austin said. “I don’t believe we’ve met? I’m Austin, Amy’s friend. And you are?”

I turned around and my jaw dropped. Austin was looking directly at Cale. Austin was talking to Cale.

Cale looked startled for a moment then smiled forcefully. “Cale.”

Austin stumbled for words for a moment, looking from me to him. “Cale? Ghost Cale?”

He nodded. “So you can see me now… Huh.”

Austin ignored him. “So you’re the one who has been messing with Amy’s emotions. You’re the reason she was so broken for the past two weeks. You’re the reason she won’t be…mine.” His said the last part through gritted teeth. His fists clenched.

“Amy can see me because we’re soul mates. It’s our destiny to be together.” Cale said this matter-of-factly.

“Soul mates my ass!” Austin yelled. “What makes you so much better than me?!”

I cringed. Put two rivals in the same room and one is bound to pick a fight with the other. “Guys, can we not talk about this here?”

“You kissed her!” Cale accused. “She didn’t want to kiss you!”

Austin took a step forward. “I didn’t make her kiss me! You’re just jealous!”

By now, about ¼ of the people were watching us while the other ¾ of the people in the area were looking away. I grabbed Austin’s arm and tried to pull him away. “Austin, Cale, people are looking…”

“You’re just jealous,” Austin said smugly, “because she wants someone who can protect her, who understands her, who can LOVE her. You’re a ghost! You can’t be together! EVER!”

Cale’s face went from hurt, to sadness, to anger. He clenched his fists also then walked towards me, grabbed my hand, and pulled me away from Austin. “Come on, Amy. You don’t deserve to hear this.”

Just then, Cale was pulled away from me, and I heard a loud sound of fist on face. Cale fell to the ground and Austin stood over him. Cale quickly shot up from the ground and tackled, surprising Austin, to the ground. Cale punched him once and Austin was swinging back.

“Cale!” I yelled. “Quit!” I raced over to them and tried to pull Cale off of him.

“Is that all you’ve got?” Austin asked. “No wonder she’s not falling for you. You’re such a wimp. Pansy!” Cale punched him across the face.

“Cale!” I yelled again. “GET OFF!”

Cale stopped what he was doing, and so did Austin. Cale pushed himself up off of Austin, and when Austin was pushing himself up, Cale shoved him down to the ground. “You do not know me, and you do not know Amy. You have no idea what she’s been through and what our relationship is.”

Cale and I started walking off, leaving Austin stunned on the ground. Or so we thought.

When we got out of the building, Cale was tackled to the ground with Austin on top of him. He kicked and punched Cale. My mind was racing, and I didn’t know what to do. My heart jumped with every sound of fist on skin I heard.

“Austin!” I sobbed. “Get off of him. Please quit.”

“I will win her!” Austin shouted at Cale. “You don’t deserve her!”

I ran over to them and tried to push Austin off of Cale. Instead of him rolling off of Cale, I felt a sharp pain sting the side of my face. My hand flew up to my cheek shocked. Austin had just hit me.

He immediately quit what he was doing and stared at me wide eyed. “Oh my gosh, Amy. I’m so sorry… I… I didn’t know what I was thinking.”

I felt tears weld up in my eyes. “Just go,” I whispered. “Both of you.”

Austin slowly got up off of Cale. “Amy,” he said again. “Please, I’m sorry…” When I didn’t reply he started walking away.

“Amy…” Cale called softly. “I’m sorry too.”

I sucked up my tears and nodded. “It’s okay, Cale. He started it.” I took a deep breath and sighed. “I’m going to go home alone, okay? I need time to…think.”

Before I got to my car, I heard Cale say softly, “He could change your destiny. That’s why he can see me now.”

I opened my car door and listened to the last of his words.

“That’s why he can see me now. You have a choice.”

I shut the car door and allowed the tears to roll down my face. I had a choice. My destiny. Did I want to spend it with Austin… or Cale?

The human, or the ghost?
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow, sorry the fighting scenes sucked :( and that the update is so late. I had to go somewhere today with my mom. To make up for it, I tried to make the chapter a bit longer. I hope you liked it too :)

Thanks to everyone who reads, comments, and subscribes! I really appreciate it!!!

What happened to all my commenters? :(