Status: Completed

Runs in the Family

Santa Monica

You’ve reached the Sprint PCS voicemail of Bronx Wentz, to leave a message please stay on the line, to send a numeric message please press six… After the beep please leave your message… Beep.

“Hey Bronx, it’s Amelia… again. I was just calling to see what was going on, you haven’t returned my calls or dropped by. Um… call me back when you can. Bye.” I sigh and press the red button, ending the call.

I drop on my bed and stare at my ceiling wondering why Bronx wasn’t answering my phone calls, he was probably out of town and forgot to tell me, or he just wanted to be alone. There has to be a logical explanation, then again he started acting strange after he dropped me off last week after dinner.

I groan and shake my head, I was thinking too much about it.

I sigh and dial Victoria’s phone number.

“Hey Amelia, what’s up?”

“Hey Vicky, I was wondering if you and the rest of the gang wanted to hang out today?” I ask as I stare at the fan twirling around making my bangs cover my face.

“Why don’t we go down to Santa Monica beach?” Victoria suggests.

“That sounds great; will you call Caitlin and Adie?”

“Yeah will meet there around three, is that okay?”

“Yeah sounds like a plan, see you there.” I say and hang up.

I get up from my bed and walk down the hall past the kitchen and into the living room were Brendon was lying across the couch, his head on top of Ryan’s lap.

“I’m going to the beach later on; could one of you give me a ride?” I ask sitting on the love seat to the right of the big couch.

“At what time?” Brendon asks with a yawn.

“I have to be there at three, so around two fifteen?”

“I’ll take you; just tell me fifteen minutes before hand.” Ryan replies as he runs his fingers through Brendon’s hair, making me smile.

“Thanks dad.”

“I don’t understand why you don’t want to take your driving test.” Brendon tells me.

“Because I’m afraid to drive, what if I run somebody over or I crash?” I whisper with wide eyes.

Ryan and Brendon look at each other and then Brendon shakes his head.

“What?” I ask innocently.

“Nothing,” Brendon says giving me a small smile.

I squint my eyes at him and stand up from the couch. “I’m going to get my stuff ready.” I announce and head off to my room.

“I’ve been wanting to talk to you.” Ryan says as he pulls out of the drive way.

“What is it dad?”

“Pete called me last week, and told me what happened.”

I swallow and look down at my hands feeling a bit ashamed. “I just want to know the truth.” I mumble.

“I know, but you have to wait for the right time Amelia, you can’t just go asking people if they know or not.”

“When is the right time dad? When I’m thirty?” I ask sounding defensive.

Ryan sighs and shakes his head. “No, but I promise we’ll tell you soon, before you graduate.”

“Right before I walk?” I ask sarcastically.

“Amelia.” Ryan speaks sounding a bit hurt.

“Sorry.” I mumble and look out the window.

“Brendon and I, we just- We love you okay?”

“I know dad.” I sigh.

A few minutes later we arrive, I give Ryan a kiss on the cheek as a sign that I wasn’t angry at him. “Will you pick me up?” I ask as I get out of the car.

“Just call me before hand.”

I nod and walk across the parking lot were Victoria, Caitlin, and Adie are standing waiting for me.

“Hey ladies,” I greet them taking stand beside them.

“I think we should go to the pier, it’s too cold to go swimming.” Adie says with a smile on her face.

“Lets go on the Ferris wheel!” Caitlin gasps.

“Then lets go!” Victoria and I chirp at the same time.

We walk to the pier and go in line to buy tickets to go on the rides.

“Oh look who’s here.” Victoria groans sounding annoyed.

“Who-Oh it’s Lisa.” Caitlin says in a low voice.

“And it looks like she has a friend with her.” Caitlin adds.

“Oh my God!” Adie gasps and turns to look at me.

“What?” I question.

“She’s with Bronx.”

I step off to the side and look to where Lisa was standing and then I see Bronx laughing.

“Wow, my best friend is going out with the enemy.” I murmur feeling a bit sad and angry, mixed in a hint of jealousy.

I stare at the two of them and then I see Bronx leaning in to give Lisa more than just a small kiss on the lips. I look away quickly.

“What are we waiting for? Ferris wheel here we come!” I exclaim trying to make the awkwardness and tension go away.

“What happened?” Ryan asks as I get into the car.

“Nothing just tired from today.” I lie with a small smile.

“I can tell there’s something wrong, now spill.”

I roll my eyes and groan. “Bronx is going out with Lisa, I can’t believe he would do that, I mean he knows how much we dislike each other and I’m his best friend.” I ramble.

“Or maybe it’s because you like him.”

“I do not! He’s my best friend and I don’t want to lose him.” I mumble and cross my arms across my chest.

“You don’t want to lose him because you like him, or even love him.” Ryan whispers the last part.

“You lost Brendon? Or did he loose you?” I ask.

“We both lost each other for a while, but true love always finds a way back.” Ryan says smiling to himself.

“I’m glad it did.” I tell him in a low voice.

He looks at me and smiles. “You’ll know how it feels some day.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This is the Santa Monica Pier.

Sorry it's been a very long and distracting morning.