Status: Done!

Love Hides (in the Strangest Places)

9. We Could Be So Good Together

Jim stayed with me for the week after my graduation. We checked ourselves into a hotel and I had gone for various job interviews, but so far none looked too promising. Right now I was just hanging with the guys, trying not to think too hard about what I was going to do.
“You’ll be an amazing writer, Elanor, don’t worry.” John said with a smile.
“I know.” I smiled back.
The phone rang and Ray went into the other room and answered it. He came back in after a few seconds, looking at the phone confusedly.
“Elanor, it’s for you, some man named Jann Wenner.”
“Oh my god! Are you serious?” I whispered excitedly.
“Why, who’s Jann Wenner?” Jim asked me.
“He’s the co-founder, editor, and publisher of Rolling Stone Magazine!” I tried not to scream.
I practically ran to the phone, grabbing it from John, and catching my breath I said,
“Hello?”
“Is this Elanor Rosser?”
“This is she.” I said, holding my breath.
“Hi, I’m Jann Wenner from Rolling Stone magazine and Ralph and I have heard some good things about you.”
“Really?”
“Yes, we have, and we were wondering if you could send us some of your material.”
“Why?”
“We are considering hiring you, Ms. Rosser.”
“Are you serious?” I practically yelled into the phone.
Jann Wenner laughed a little on the other end, “Yes, I’ve read a little of your material and I love you, but Ralph is still a little sketchy about you. Would you like to come down to San Francisco for an interview?”
“Of course, when would you like me there?”
“Whenever’s good for me. When can you get here?”
“I could be there next week?”
“Perfect. We’ll see you then.”
“Okay, thank you so much.”
“You’re welcome.”
“Bye.”
“Bye.”
I hung up the phone and began jumping up and down, dancing around the room. The guys came in and were looking at me like I was crazy.
“What happened?” Ray asked.
“I’m going to San Francisco to meet Jann Wenner and Ralph Gleason! They’re considering hiring me!”
I jumped into Jim’s arms and gave him a great, big kiss.
“No way!” Jim yelled and picked me up in his arms, spinning me around, “We told you it’d be all right.”
I calmed down, a little, “Oh my god, Rolling Stone magazine. I’ll get to write about music! Can you believe it?”
“Ya, just take it easy on us.” Robby laughed.
“Don’t worry, I could never give you guys a bad review.” I smiled.
And then I started jumping around the room again. I couldn’t get any happier than this. I stopped dancing and looked around,
“I have to pack. I have to buy a plane ticket. I have to decide what to wear. I have to decide which material I want to show them. Oh my god.” I started hyperventilating.
“It’s okay.” Jim grabbed me and led me to the bedroom, “I’ll help you with everything.”
“Thank you.” I smiled, putting my arms around his neck. H seemed tense, “What’s wrong James?”
“What’s going to happen to us when you’re always doing your writing, and I’m always doing my tours?” he said worriedly.
“I’m hoping we’ll still love each other. I mean, really, we’re not officially together, not like you and Pam. But we do still love each other.”
“Why don’t we, sort of, make it official? When we’re in San Francisco.”
“When we’re in San Francisco?”
“Well, you can’t go without me.” He pouted.
“Then, what do you mean by official?”
“I don’t know, go out in public, hold hands in the street, kiss in front of photographers. We could be good together.” He smirked.
“Okay.” I smirked back.
Jim kissed me, and I kissed him back. Somehow, we ended up on the bed, on top of all the clothing that I’d pulled out before. It was getting heated and our bodies were tightly pressed together. Jim took something out of his pocket, two tablets of acid. We each put one on the tips of our tongues and soon we were having heated, twisted sex. Our bodies were coated with sweat and, due to the acid; I saw a white unicorn running around my room. After we were lying in bed Jim became restless, he was still in a trance from the acid and he began to trip out. He walked to the window and opened it, the sound of traffic far beneath us. To my horror Jim quickly put one leg out the window, and then the other and swung himself out, laughing.
“James get down from there!” I screamed.
“Do you love me?” he asked.
“Get down from there, you’ll kill yourself!” I began to cry.
“Do you love me?” Jim yelled this time.
“Yes! Of course I love you! Get down!”
Jim smiled at me and then climbed back in, shutting the window.
“What the fuck was that?” I yelled.
“I don’t know.” He simply said, and crawled into bed, taking me in his arms and then lying down and sleeping.
That was the first time I’d seen how Jim could get when he took drugs, and it wasn’t the last.