Falling in love is great. Unless it's with a demon.

(21)Through the stairway

You leaned heavily on Chase as you made your way through the caves of Hell. Noki was in the front using magic fire to light the way as it got darker, followed by Kyo who was in cat form using his cat ears to listen for followers that may be pursuing you. Next was you and Chase, followed by Lunehtiel who chatted with quietly with Ariel. You would have to find your way back to Noki's stairway out of this place, since he couldn't make another one from inside. The pace seemed dangerously slow, since at any moment it seemed like you could be captured again and everyone looked around with suspicious eyes, flinching at every noise that echoed through the emptiness.
"Thanks for helping me," you whispered to Chase, gritting your teeth with each step. You had twisted your ankle running from Azathoth's house in your attempt at an escape and Chase had eagerly offered to help you along. One of his arms was now holding you to his side around your waist and one of your was holding over his neck.
"No problem, Kira," he smiled down at you and kissed your forehead gently. "Can't have you dragging us down."
You laughed weakly and shook your head. *It's good to see he hasn't changed...* you thought, your spirits rising. He was seemingly his normal playful self, except for the lack of flirting which you were grateful for. This definitely wasn't the time or place for that and even though he held you close he looked completely serious.
"But I'm worried about him," you heard Ariel say sadly to Lunehtiel.
He sighed and shook his head. "Do you really want to go back and risk getting captured over a silly little dragon?"
"But he's my friend..." she answered softly hanging her head.
Lunehtiel patted her back and sighed again. He would have gone back for Ember(the dragons name) but didn't want to risk it, even if he had been good to Ariel and helped the both of you escape.
"I just hate leaving h-" She was cut off as the ground shook and she nearly fell if Lunehtiel hadn't caught her.
You too had to grab onto Chase to keep from losing your balance as your feet nearly fell from beneath you.
"What is that?" Noki yelled from in front of you as he slipped to the ground.
You opened your mouth to answer, but looked wide eyed behind you as the cave was suddenly lit with the bright glow of fire. You could hear flapping wings and a great roar boomed followed by the sight of a huge black dragon flying fast towards the group. You looked up, holding onto Chase as the force of the wind from the flying dragon nearly tore you away from him and into the air.
You watched as the dragon turned and flew back landing behind you, again roaring loudly throwing it's head in the air. Something about the dragon looked familiar and you yelled for Chase to stop as he held open his hands, readying himself to hit it with ice.
He didn't hear you though so you jumped and pushed him to the side just as he let fly towards the dragons heart. Lucky for you, you had messed up his aim and it ended up only slicing slightly into his side. He growled and looked down at you softly, slowly getting smaller until he was back to his normal size. It was Ember and you and Ariel smiled running up to him. He smiled back up at the two of you, then flinched, looking down at his side. There was still a huge gash where Chase had him and you tore the bottom of your shirt off and wrapped it around him to stop the bleeding.
Ariel looked at him worriedly, and you touched her shoulder to comfort her. "He'll be alright... we just need to get out of this place."
She smiled at you and nodded, taking him in her arms. "I never knew he could get THAT big," she said in wonder, laughing a little.
You nodded, "Yeah I wonder what else he could do."
You winced putting all your weight on your hurt leg and Chase walked up to you, and you glared at him, stumbling past him.
He looked confused and followed, trying to grab you arm to help as you nearly fell asking, "What did I do?"
You looked back at him, not really angrily. "You hurt Ember."
Chase was at a loss. He stared at you like you were crazy as you hobbled off away from him. "Well fine, the next time I think some huge dragon is about to eat you, I'll stand there and let you take care of it."
You looked back at him and laughed, seeing Ariel and Lunehtiel trying hard not to smile. You once wrapped your arm around his neck and let him help you.
"You
re crazy, you know that?" He said putting his arm around your waist.
"Yes, but that's why you love me so much," you giggled kissing his cheek. You never thought it would be possible with all his flirtatious manners, but he actually blushed.
"Well yeah... you know we all love you," he stuttered making you giggled again
It was good to know.

It seemed like the longest walk you had ever gone on, but finally you made it back to the stairway.
You sighed looking up the long narrow stairs feeling your ankle throbbing already. "There's no way I can make it up all those..."
Chase looked over to you and smiled, "I'd be more than happy to help you." And with that he picked you up and put you over his shoulders. You slid down until your legs wrapped around his waist. You looked over his shoulder and smiled, until you felt his hands touching your butt.
"Excuse me!" You yelled hitting the back of his head. "I can hold onto you myself, I don't need any assistance from your perverted hands."
Lunehtiel walked up and put his hand on your shoulder, looking disapprovingly at Chase. "Would you rather I carried you?"
You smiled at him and shook your head, "If he promises to be good then I'll be fine."
Chase sighed, flashing you a charming smile. "Ok, I'll be good."
"Then I'll carry Ariel," he turned and helped her up onto his back where his wings were already out. He stretched them out and flew into the stairway, going up them fast.
"So he wants a race then?" he smiled half looking at you.
"What are you doing?" you asked as he bent down and touched the stairway. It immediately covered over with a think sheet of ice going straight to the top.
"Hold on tight," he said winking at you and stepped on the ice.
"Wha-" you were cut off as he started speeding up the ice. You held on for dear life as you were nearly torn from with the force and almost wished his hands were holding onto you again. Almost...
You had been closing your eyes tight from fear that if you opened them, you might fall, but peeking one open you could see you were almost next to Lunehtiel. The staircase was wide enough so that he could have his wings stretched out and you could pass him and Chase sped up so he was beside him.
You looked over to Ariel who smiled and waved. You would have waved, but you were still holding on for your life afraid to move even a finger.
Lunehtiel looked over at Chase and their eyes locked together, as if speaking to each other without words. Then they both smiled and Chase put his hands on top of your which were clutching his shoulders. "Here we go!" He yelled and you looked over to Ariel who grabbed around Lunehtiel's neck and held on while he flew ahead of the two of you.
You watched as Chase took off after them creating ice over the sides and ceiling of the staircase so he could move around on them as well.
"Chase I hate you!" you screamed as he went in a circle making you go temporarily upside down as he passed Lunehtiel. Ariel looked up at you shocked to see you above her.
"Don't be such a wimp, Kira," Chase laughed again speeding up until you could see a bright light ahead of you.
You suddenly shot out into the air and you could see the white snowy ground below you coming closer as Chase fell, still upside down. Just at the last moment he turned and landed on his feet safely. You shaking got down from his back and fell on the ground when you tried to stand on your own.
Chase looked down at you and smiled, reaching out his hand to help you up. You took it, stood up and started to beat him with your hands and fists. "You stupid jerk, you could have killed me, you big meanie!"
"Help someone," he laughed as Lunehtiel came out next and the others followed, staring at you beating down Chase.
You got tired of hitting and turned away, but he provoked you by saying, "Is that all you got?" So you turned back to him and pounced on him knocking him to the ground with you on top of him and starting hitting him again.
Everyone laughed until Chase grabbed your wrists and looked up at you pulling you down close to him and said, "Well now I guess I know the way to get you on top of me."
You blushed, brighter than ever before and got up off of him.
Chase smiled and got up too, gaining glares from his brothers. He shrugged at them and Kyo jumped down from Noki's shoulder since he had to get a ride with him since Chase had turned the stairway to ice. Noki turned and closed the gateway so no one could follow.
Ariel jumped down from Lunehtiel's back and looked down at herself. You looked at her too, noticing that the glow which she had before was getting stronger and in a burst of light her pure white wings exploded from her back and her hair floated around her as her head tossed back and a smile appeared on her lips.
You looked at her, amazed at how beautiful she had just become and her eyes opened, to be perfect blue. She walked up to you and put hands on your shoulders and closed her eyes. You felt warmth suddenly enter you and a tickling feeling around your ankle. You laughed a little as she opened her eyes and again smiled at you and hugged you tight.
"Thanks you for saving me," she looked back and around to her brothers, "and for reuniting us all."
"Awww, group hug!" Kyo yelled hugging the two of you and eventually Lunehtiel and Chase joined in. Noki looked uncertain about being so close to everyone, but you reached out from all the bodies and grabbed him, pulling into you. This was your family and you were more happy now than you had ever been.