Falling in love is great. Unless it's with a demon.

(34)The not so horrible truth

Being at home wasn’t really all that great. It was nice for the first few hours, but then sitting there in the living room, staring at the ceiling, you realized how boring things had suddenly become. No attacks from Sato, no more drama to deal with, other than your love life, and not much to do. The guys were off and doing their own things, Kyo was taking a cat nap, Noki was studying a new magic book, Chase was laying in his bed(as far as you knew) and Lunehtiel was outside, while Jake and Ariel were off walking around town.
You sighed as you sat up on the couch and looked around the room. You could watch TV or play video games, but you just didn’t feel like it. You could go and wander around with Lunehtiel, but again didn’t feel like it.
You yawned and stretched out, feeling your bones pop around inside of you, until everything felt right, and stood up.
That’s when the door bell rang.
You stood still in the living room for moments, wondering if you should go ahead and answer and since no one came when it rung a few more times you skipped to it, happy to have something to do.
You peaked through the curtain hanging from the window beside the door, and saw a woman with straight red hair, that fell to her shoulders. That’s all you could see of her though, since she had her back to the door now, and was holding her hand above her eyes, looking off in the distance.
She didn’t look threatening, so shrugging you opened the door.
She turned, and smiled instantly upon seeing you, and without warning opened her arms and hugged you close to her. “I’m so happy they were able to find you.”
You weren’t sure how to react in this situation, so you stood there and let her hug you, until Chase came walking down the stairs.
“Will somebody answer that da-” he stopped when he saw the girl holding you in her arms, and smiled and opened his mouth to say something perverted, but Noki came down right after him and gave him a serious look, which meant don’t even think about it.
“It’s you,” Noki said softly, when the girl let you go.
“Yes, and you,” she smiled, bowing slightly in Noki and Chases direction.
You were confused as usual, and the look on your face didn’t hide it.
“I’m sorry,” the girl laughed, turning her gaze to you again. “Here I am hugging you and you have no idea who I am. But I know a lot about you, Kira.”
She had already beyond freaked you out so you went with it, “Ok. Let’s start with how you know my name.”
“I know a lot more than that,” she said, her voice light and sweet as a child’s. “But first, where are the other?”
You could only assume she meant Kyo and Lunehtiel, “I’ll get them,” you offered, but the girl took your arm in hers and shook her head. “Noki, Chase go get them and meet us in the front room.”
They actually obeyed without question, Noki going upstairs to wake Kyo and Chase ran outside to find Lunehtiel.
She turned her head towards you again and smiled with her eyes closed, before leading you to the front room where she sat you down on the couch. “You’re much prettier than in my visions,” she commented once you had settled yourself beside her.
“Visions?” You asked, without really thinking about it.
She nodded and smiled again, “Yes, my visions. That’s how I knew you would marry one of them.”
“You’re the one who foretold it?!” You nearly yelled, excited that you might finally get a straight answer.
She laughed, “I am. And I am glad to see that they have finally found you. I was getting worried that my visions might be going wrong of late… but I just knew this one had to be true.”
“Wait, wait, wait,” you stopped her, “So the only reason those guys have told me I have to marry one of them is because of a vision you had that may or may not be right?”
She looked thoughtful for a minute, then smiled and shrugged, “Yes, I guess you could say it like that. But I’m almost always right about these things. I saw it… if you didn’t marry one of them they all would die. So I told them, and they‘ve been searching for you ever since.”
“But why would they die if one didn’t marry me?” you asked, since that was the big question here.
She looked thoughtful again, and the pained, “I do not know. I just that it will happen…”
It all seemed pretty farfetched to you, but you couldn’t deny that you liked being here with the guys now. Maybe when this all started you didn’t want to be anywhere near them, but now… you really couldn’t live not knowing them.
She smiled, as if she knew what you were thinking, and why not? She’s the one who caused all this, it wouldn’t surprise you if she could read minds too.
“What’s this all about?” You heard Kyo asking, as him and Noki came down the stairs, but he seemed to pale a bit at seeing the girl sitting there.
“Hello Kyo,” she said, with a little bite to her voice.
He looked away from her, and you, but muttered, “Hello Nye…”
So that was her name. But why was Kyo acting so weird? And why didn’t she look so happy to see him. You knew it wasn’t your place to ask, but you couldn’t let it hang in the air. “What’s up between you two?”
Kyo looked up briefly then shook his head, as if asking you to not ask, but Nye laughed. “He killed my best friend, that’s what.”
“I never meant to hurt her,” Kyo said softly, just loud enough so you could hear, and the only girl you could think of who had something to do with him killing was the girl from all the photos, Misa…
“Are you talking about Misa?” you asked, and her eyes went cold, as she turned to you.
“Yes, she was my best friend and he killed her,” she pointed to Kyo, who was covering his face with his hands.
The protectiveness over Kyo was slowly coming out. She was making him feel terrible, and since you didn’t know the whole story, you had to say something. “Stop. Can’t you see he feels bad just seeing you…?”
She gave you a very angry look, “He should feel bad after murdering her.”
“I didn’t murder anyone!” he finally yelled, standing up, and breathing hard.
“Kyo…” you reached out to him, but stopped seeing the tears in his eyes. Noki looked at you, and shook his head, so you sat back.
“I didn’t hurt her,” he said slowly, and stared at her like she was the only one in the room. “I would never hurt her… I loved her… And when you told us that one of us would have to marry Kira, she lost it, and killed herself. Not me!”
“You’re lying!” She screamed as she stood up. “She would never do something like that!”
“She did,” he said evenly, “And I hid it because I didn’t want anyone to think something like that of her. I was the only one home, and when I found her she had already slit her wrists… She had lost too much blood, I couldn’t do anything.”
Nye fell to the floor crying, and you couldn’t believe what was happening.
“Is that true, Kyo?” You asked, again not really thinking of what you were saying.
Kyo turned to you, hurt obvious in his eyes. “Do you not believe me Kira? Do you really think I could kill someone…?”
You bit your bottom lip, unsure of what to believe. You wanted to think that Kyo could never hurt anyone, he was so gentle and kind. But…why hadn’t he told you? Didn’t he trust you enough to tell you the truth? Even if he didn’t want people to know about Misa… he could have told you.
Your lack of an answer only hurt Kyo more. He almost would have preferred you to say you didn’t trust him, rather than have no answer at all, which meant you didn’t, but you didn’t want him to know that you didn’t.
He turned from the three of you and stormed outside, meeting Chase and Lunehtiel on the way, who questioned him, but he ignored it, too hurt to answer.
“Kyo…” you whispered, watching him leave. You desperately wanted to go and comfort him, but when you got up and took a step to the door, Noki stopped you with his hand on your shoulder.
“Unless you’re sure of your answer, then there’s nothing you can do to help him,” he told you, and it was hard to hear but true. If you didn’t know that you truly trusted him then anything you said would only make things worse.
Chase and Lunehtiel looked around, completely confused, especially Chase, since only moments ago everyone was happy and hugging and nice. “What the heck happened here…?”

It took a little while to explain everything, and get Nye calmed down to where she was once again her happy, hyper self, smiling and talking away about things you didn’t understand. At least you kind of understood how you came to be here, and why one of the guys had to marry you.
“Wait a minute…” you interrupted her, while she was going on about a kitten being stuck in a tree. “Do you know which one I’m going to marry?”
She nodded, “Yes I do. But I can’t tell you, because it could change things.”
“But you told them they had to find me,” you argued, pointing at the guys. “That wouldn’t change things?”
“Nope,” she answered cheerfully. “If I didn’t tell them at least that then they would have never found you. Get it?”
“Not really…” you mumbled, shaking you head.
“Good,” she said again way to cheerfully, completely disregarding your answer. “I just came for a visit really. Make sure things are going ok, and that they found you.” She pressed her hand against yours warmly.
You smiled and nodded, “That’s nice of you.” You stood up, intending to go find Kyo, “I think I need some air,” you announced, walking to the door, ignoring the looks the guys gave you.
You opened the door and walked outside, not completely sure where Kyo might be. So you just started walking forward, making sure to look around where ever you went, but that was getting you no where fast.
*Maybe he went into town or something….* you sighed, walking through the trees. *Or maybe he’s never coming back…* the thought made you sick, and you had to stop to keep from falling over. You couldn’t imagine your life without Kyo, even as just a friend.
“Looking for me?” Kyo’s voice came from above you.
You looked up to see him sitting up in the tree above you head, relaxing on a branch with his hands behind his head. He reminded you of Chase at that moment, and you could definitely tell they were brothers. “Kyo… I’m sorry.”
“Don’t be,” he shook his head, looking up to the sky. “I can understand that you don’t trust me. I am just a demon…”
That statement made you angry, “You know perfectly well that I don’t care about you being a demon so don’t even start. And I just came out here to tell you, I do trust you, and if you don’t like it tough!”
He didn’t say anything for awhile, and you lowered your head away from him, sighing, but then you looked again as you heard him laughing.
“You know, Kira,” he leaned over the branch to look down at you. “You’re really cute when you get angry.”
*I guess that’s a good thing…* you thought.
“Come on,” he reached his hand down for you to take.
You smiled and took it, and he hoisted you up into the tree with him, where he sat you in front of him and wrapped his arms around you to keep you from falling.
You leaned back into him, and looked ahead, as the sun was setting.
“Kira…?” Kyo said lightly, like he wasn’t sure if he wanted you to hear him or not.
“Yeah?”
He was silent for a minute, struggling with his words, but then finally, “Nothing… never mind… I‘m just glad you‘re here with me…”
You wanted to look back at him, to see the expression on his face, to see what he was really thinking, but you put your hands over his, and leaned back into him and closed your eyes. “I’m glad I’m here with you too…”