Spirited Away

Portion Ten.

Secluded, pink and double story, (not including the attic) this was my new home. It was surrounded by forest on every angle. The driveway was long and windy, it made you feel like you were driving up to a mansion, which you might as well have been. The place was huge, from the outside at least. There didn’t seem to be much of a backyard, or front yard for that matter, it was just forest. But that didn’t bother me, it looked like a home, like a place I could come, rest and relax no matter the circumstances. It felt right.

“Well this is it,” George announced, stepping out of the car and going to the boot to grab my suitcase.

I jumped out; I couldn’t wait to see the inside of the house. I wondered who else was living there; I never did ask them if they had any other kids.

“Well?” Danielle asked, “What do you think?”

I turned around slowly, “I think it’s great… mum.”

“Oh,” Dani beamed and ran over to give me a hug. This I was not expecting and rather in shock I went to step back but out of the corner of my eye I saw George and knew I had to keep my promise.

“Well I’ll give you the grand tour then dear, it’s even better on the inside.”

Danielle grabbed my hand and dragged me up the garden path and to the front door. I look up at the two-story house. It was a light pink and white. It was gorgeous. She took out a big bronze key, the perfect size for the lock on the door. It must have been a very old house; they didn’t build doors the scent so beautiful I knew it would stay with me forever. I breathed it in and sighed, this was home for me. There was long hallway with a hardwood floor leading towards a spiral staircase. Off the hallway were two doors, one leading to what I assumed to be a living room and the other to a dining room.

“Follow me dear,” Dani waved at me. She walked through the door on the right of us and I followed her into the dining room. The table was long enough to seat at least twelve people and a large window look out across the driveway and into the forest. The rest of the room was beautifully furnished with a large fireplace and patterned rug. It looked so much nicer than the orphanage dinning room.

We then proceeded through a set of sliding doors and into the kitchen. For a family kitchen it was extremely large. It sparkled in the sunlight streaming through the open window. On the other side of the kitchen was a sliding glass door leading to what I believe as an indoor garden and then I guessed out to the backyard.

“We just got the kitchen re-done, which is why it’ll seem a lot newer to the rest of the house,” Dani told me, “George’s grandfather built this house with his own two hands, and the help of his three brothers of course. We the house was passed onto us we wanted to keep it exactly as it was so we didn’t buy any new furniture.”

“Oh,” was all I could say as my eyes wandered around the rest of the kitchen.

“Come on then, plenty more to see. George took your bags up to your room—at least I told him to— so we’ll go look there last. I’m sure you’re pretty tired by now.”

“Ha-ha, you bet. Moving takes a lot out of me. I’m glad to be here.”

“Well I’m glad you’re glad,” Danielle smiled.

We went through a third door and came out in the living room. It seemed to be two rooms as there was step leading down to the T.V. There was another fireplace and small table near the window. It was littered with unopened mail.

“I’m afraid we haven’t gotten to opening the mail yet we were so busy cleaning up the house this morning. We over slept, as usual George forgot to set the alarm,” Danielle began stacking the mail into neat piles, “You’ll have to rely on yourself to wake you up in the mornings from now on, we’re so hopeless I’m amazed we manage to get anywhere on time. But I suppose you’re use to waking up early?”

“Oh well I wouldn’t call myself an expert. We usually had a bell sound when we were due down stairs, the nurses didn’t really trust us.”

“Well don’t worry, I’ll be sure to buy you an alarm before school starts,” Dani promised.

“Thanks.”

“Come one then this way, I think you’ll like this,” Dani winked.

We walked back through the door in which we entered. I hadn’t noticed before but there was a third door leading off the little passage that connected the living room to the kitchen. This door came with a keyhole just like the front doors one. Danielle handed me a key.

“This will be you own personal space,” Danielle told me.

“Oh, no. You didn’t have too, one room will be enough for me,” I shook my head.

“No dear, I insist. Now go on, open the door and see what’s inside.”

“Well, okay then.” I walked over to the door and in the dim light I stuck the key inside the keyhole and turned. There was a loud click so I knew it was open. I took the door handle—it was old fashioned too— and turned.

I gasped; it was beautiful. There was large rug in the middle of the room and a large window that took up the whole back wall. A T.V and desk were the two main attractions in the room, to me at least. The T.V itself took up most of the left wall and the desk was placed opposite it, in between to cabinets. Two giant beanbags were sitting in front of the T.V just waiting for someone to occupy them. The window looked out onto the backyard. It was littered in flowers and trees and almost seemed to be like a maze. It seemed very easy to be lost out there. I couldn’t even see the forest that I knew was behind it probably blocked by a fence of some sort. There were lights strung from tree to tree that I’m sure would make the place look magical at night.

“Well, what do you think?” I jumped as I realised that George had joined us.

I was speechless, what could I say that would portray how much this meant to me?

I walked over to the couple and gave them a great big hug; that seemed sufficient enough, “Thank you, I love it.”

Danielle beamed and George nodded his head, a smile playing on his lips.

“Shall we go upstairs now?” George asked. I nodded and followed them out the door.

They waited for me as I locked the door and tucked the key inside my pocket.

We went out through the living room and into the main hall as to ascend the spiral staircase.

As we walked up the stairs I made a mental note to slide down the banister one day.

We took a quick tour of the study, rumpus, George and Danielle’s bedroom and the other six bedrooms in the house before we came to a stop at a door.

“I’m afraid we must ask one exception of you Erin,” George said gravely.

“Whilst you live with us you may visit any room you wish,” Danielle continued, “every room, except this one.”

“Why? What’s in it?” I asked confused.

“Oh nothing, it just leads to the attic,” George said, “but when I come home I still have a lot of work needed to be done.”

“Oh right, I understand. I won’t bother you,” I promised.

“Thanks for understanding, Erin, we really appreciate it,” Dani kindly put a hand on my shoulder.

“Deary me, we still haven’t showed you your room,” George shook his head.

“Come on then.”

I followed the two to the end of the hall. It was only then that as I yawned that I realised how tired I was. Even though it was only early afternoon.

The door to my room was made of hard wood, coated with varnish. As I walked in a beautiful scent one again greeted me. This time I could pick it out as lavender. The room was not as big as the one downstairs but it was just as nice. Again there was a window taking the space of a whole wall. It opened onto a balcony. It reminded me of the attic veranda at the orphanage where I would spend most of my time. Opposite the window, in front of the other wall, was a walk in wardrobe. I had never had one of those before. And there, right in the middle of the room was the biggest bed I had ever seen. It was king sized as George told and had curtains around the outside. I had never heard of a bed with privacy before.

“We’ll just be down stairs it you need anything Erin. Why don’t you just get some sleep?”

I nodded and walked over to the four-poster bed. The sheets and doona were red. The doona had green patterns sowed into it. I wondered how much it must have cost. I kicked off my shoes as I heard the bedroom door close. The sheets where so cozy and warm. I had never slept in such a comfortable bed before; it was like heaven. As soon as my head hit the pillow I was fast asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter is a bit longer than usual, but I think I prefer them this long.
Thanks for reading.