Sequel: Déjà vu

My Unintended

Action

I leapt out of bed as soon as my eyes opened and I ran to the bathroom. I frantically started to brush my teeth in a desperate attempt to get ready as quickly as I could manage.

“Gee, what are you doing? It’s 8.45.” Frank asked sleepily in the doorway as I pulled a t-shirt on over my head while I brushed my teeth.

“I don’t care.” I mumbled through a mouthful of toothpaste and seized yesterday’s jeans and pulled them on.

“You’re serious about looking for her yourself?” Frank asked me incredulously. I looked up from doing the button up on my jeans and nodded.

“I can’t just do nothing, Frank.” I said and rinsed my mouth of the toothpaste.

“Gee, please just leave this to the cops.” He pleaded and pulled my hands into his own.

“I can’t…Melissa could be using Michaela to get high.” I answered and pushed past him to go into our bedroom.

I sat on the bed and pulled my trainers on.

“Where do you plan on going then?”

“I’m going to go to her house first. If she’s not there I’m going to Matt’s old place.” I replied and stood up. Frank’s hand found mine again and he pulled me round to face him.

“I’m coming with you.” He told me firmly and I opened my mouth in shock. He didn’t wait for me to reply and started to pull on his clothes while I stood there trying to think of something to say.

*Time lapse*

We had decided to go to Matt’s first, just in case Melissa had decided to hide there while the cops searched her house.

I banged on the door loudly and after a few minutes, a sleepy Matt pulled open the door.

“Miss me Matt?” I asked as his eyes widened in shock.

“Fuck off Gerard!” He spat and went to close the door. I put my foot in front of it and sighed.

“I don’t want to cause trouble, I just want to talk.” I said calmly and waited as Matt stood there thinking for a moment before opening the door and stepping to one side.

I stood in the hallway and turned to him.

“Look, I know we’ve had some bad times…” He started.

“Matt, I didn’t come here to apologise. I probably should have done that years ago and I really am sorry...”

“If you didn’t some here to apologise then why did you come here?”

“Melissa’s snatched Michaela and I have no idea where they are or what Melissa’s going to do.” I explained softly. Matt’s eyes widened for a second and drifted over to Frank who nodded.

“Shit, Gee, I’m sorry.” He replied and ran his hand through his hair.

“I just want her back.” I whimpered. Frank’s hand found mine and I gripped it tightly.

“Matt, have you seen Melissa?” Frank asked.

“No, she hasn’t been here for two years. Last time I saw her she begged for money, apparently she had split up with her boyfriend and he was asking her to start paying for her drugs.” Matt explained. I leant on the wall as my mind raced.

Two years ago?” Frank asked in shock. Matt nodded.

“Yeah, I told her to stay out of my life because she was always high. Last time I heard, she was back with the same boyfriend and getting pretty doped up every chance she could get.”

“Is she still with the boyfriend?”

“Probably, why?” Matt asked.

“The cops searched her house Matt, and she wasn’t there. Do you know where the boyfriend lives?” Frank asked. Matt nodded.

“I think he still lives there. You know those apartments by the old cemetery?” Matt asked. I nodded.

“He lives there, number…34…I think.” He explained. I stood up and pulled him into a hug.

“Thanks Matt and I really am sorry about what happened.” I said and I left him standing there looking bewildered.