This Heart, It Beats, Beats for Only You

Everything I Need

“This party is so amazing,” Zoey grinned as she leaned against the home bar next to Casey. “There’s no way you won’t win Case. Everyone here loves it and they love you.”

Casey smiled. “Did you ever doubt it?”

“I'm sorry to say I had a moment of doubt,” Zoey smiled apologetically. “I mean, for a while, it seemed like you didn’t even care.”

“I didn’t,” Casey admitted. “But I’ll be damned if that bitch takes it all away from me like this.”

“The room is all set up Case,” Marisa came to her other side. She had a mixed expression on her face, a mixture of regret and excitement. Casey knew they didn’t like this because they loved Sam still but they could never say no to her, especially when it was such a devious plan. They all lived for devious plans. It was how they stayed on top.

“Great,” she grinned. “And I think I see Nick, which means Sam and Alex must be here. Are you guys ready? Marisa, you make sure that Sam is maneuvered into the screening room and Zoey, get the projector ready. It’s time to finish this.”

They nodded and went into position. Nick came up to her. “They’re here,” he said quietly. Out of everyone, she felt the worst about dragging him into this. He wasn’t exactly one of them. He didn’t have to deal with this.

Casey hugged him. “Thank you,” she whispered in his ear. “And I’m sorry.”

He smiled sadly when he pulled away. “I like Zoey a lot. And I like you guys. I don’t get how Sam could turn her back on you. I’m happy to help take her down.”

“Nick,” someone called. They turned to see Joe coming towards them.

Casey paled slightly. She didn’t know if she could deal with Joe right now, not after last night.

“By the way,” Nick said hurriedly. “Joe knows.”

Casey gapped at him, her jaw falling. He knew? Shit. Before she could ask Nick about it, Joe had already approached them. He was staring at Casey, who was flushing slightly. Standing so near him, she felt her lips tingle. She wanted him to kiss her again, but she knew he wouldn’t. He didn’t want to. For the first time in her life, Casey Cartwright wasn’t wanted. She pushed any desire for his lips on hers to the back of her mind. She couldn’t deal with that right now. She had other things to worry about.

“Hey,” he mumbled. “Great party.”

“Thanks,” she said quietly, adjusting her short black dress to pull it down more. She felt to exposed in front of him as his eyes bored into hers. She hated the way he made her feel.

They saw Sam and Alex then, coming into the room. Immediately, Casey went into action. She was going to end this now. She nodded to Nick who went into position. Joe stood there, looking at her pained. “Casey, don’t do this,” he pleaded.

“Do what?” she asked coldly. She wasn’t in the mood for his judgment, not now.

“Don’t hurt yourself by putting yourself into this,” he said quietly, stepping closer to her. He was standing so close, she could feel every word on her skin. It sent a shiver down her spine.

“How’d you even find out Joe?” she questioned. She didn’t think Nick would tell him willingly. She looked around to where Sam was standing, talking to someone. She had a fake smile plastered on her face, but she was alone. This was perfect. She had to get to Alex now.

“I’ve snuck out before,” he smirked a bit. “I know the signs. I got Nick to tell me where he was last night.”

She sighed. “Well that’s great for you. You should be a detective instead of a singer, really. Now If you’ll excuse me.” She moved to step around him.

“Casey,” he grabbed her arm gently. “Please, don’t do this.”

“What happened to no judgment?” she asked coolly.

“I’m not judging,” he promised. “I’m trying to help you.”

“You can help me by getting the fuck off,” she said, looking at his hand on her arm. She wanted it off for two reasons. One, so she could leave, and two because it hurt her to have him so close. She wouldn’t force herself on him if he didn’t want her, but she couldn’t deal with this.

He let go. “I’m sorry Casey. But please, don’t go. You don’t have to do this.”

“Yes I do,” she said firmly. “You were right Joe. He’s out to get me, because I didn’t want him. Well I’m about to change that.”

“Look at your friend Case,” he indicated towards Sam.

Casey crossed her arms, her eyes not wavering from his. “She’s not my friend,” she said, her voice detached.

“Yes she is,” Joe said. “She’s always going to be. She’s just brainwashed right now. But you still love her, and she still loves you. You guys will always be friends.”

She shook her head. “The bitch has to go down Joe,” she said quietly. She didn’t want to admit how much his words hurt her.

“Casey if you take her down, you’ll hurt yourself,” he insisted. “You’ll regret this. It will tear you apart.”

“Don’t try to act like you know me again Joe,” she said coldly. She hated that he knew her so well. But no, she would not regret this. Sam deserved this. They both did. Alex and Sam needed to be taken down a few notches and realize just who they had been messing with.

He sighed. “I’m begging you Casey. Stay with me, don’t go over there.”

She moved back, not letting his words sink in. It hurt too much. “I have to go,” she said finally before turning her back on him and going to find Alex. She found him in the other room, walking towards someone. She needed to act now. She stepped in front of him. Immediately, his eyes turned cold. “Hey,” she said, smiling at him.

“What do you want?” he asked suspiciously.

“Come on,” she laughed lightly. “You’re at my party. The least you could do is be nice. I’ll be nice if you are,” she said, putting her hand on his arm.

He looked from her hand to her face. “Alright,” he said. She could see his eyes glazing over slightly. This would be too easy. Despite everything, she could tell he still wanted her. She wondered if he pictured her face when he was with Sam.

She hated him but it felt nice to be wanted. She had to force herself not to wince at that thought. “Unless,” she said, moving in close a seductive smile was on her face, “you don’t want me to be.” He was smirking now. “I can be bad too.”

He nodded, taking a step closer to her. She felt his arms move to wrap themselves around her waist. She pulled back, holding his hand. “Not here,” she said quietly. She saw Marisa to the side, who nodded to her. Everything was ready. She led him to the other room, a room she had told everyone else not to go into. But before they entered, she saw Joe watching them, his expression beyond pain. She shook her head. She couldn’t think about him now.

She locked the door behind them, and turned towards Alex, a smile on her face. “I’ve wanted to do this for a long time.”

“Really?” he asked, surprised. “Why’d you say not to me then?”

She pretending to look pained. “I was with Graham silly. And then when it ended you were with Sam. I was hoping you would have waited for me.” She pouted.

His face turned apologetic as he took a step closer. “I thought you didn’t want me.”

“Do you know how hard it was to see you with her?” she asked, starting to walk. She sat down on a table in the room, a perfect view for the video camera.

He followed her there, standing between her legs. “I never would have even looked at her if I knew. I just needed to be close to you.”

This threw Casey off a bit. She knew he was using her, but actually hearing him say it cut deep. She tried to push the thought out of her mind though. After all, this had to be done. She wrapped her arms around his neck, closing all space between them. She pressed her own chest against his, feeling his choppy breathing. She knew he wanted this badly. She knew he wasn’t even thinking of Sam, and slowly, Joe’s words came back to mind. This would kill her. But she had to do it. She leaned in, her hand going to the small remote that would turn the camera on. She willed herself to push it as his lips met hers, but she couldn’t do it. He must have felt her hesitancy because he pushed harder, his hands running up and down her sides as he expertly pulled her closer. She let go of the remote. She couldn’t do it. No matter what had happened, no matter what Sam had done, she was still like her sister. She still loved her with all her heart.

Alex moved his hands to grab hers and pull them around his neck. She numbly let him, their lips still moving together. This was so wrong. She sighed and pushed him away. She couldn’t do this. “I can’t do this to Sam,” she told him quietly.

“Sam hates you,” he reminded her as he tried to kiss her again. She moved her face. “You guys aren’t friends anymore. It’s okay.”

She looked at him. His words sounded so false in her ears. “No,” she said more firmly, pushing him away. “It’s not.”

He stepped back, anger filling his expression. “Wait till she hears about this though,” he said. “She’ll hate you for sure after she hears how you tried to seduce me.”

She chuckled, not even letting her words phase her. She was doing the right thing, by not giving in. She would deal with the consequences later. For right now, she couldn’t be here anymore. “Well until then, if you’ll excuse me,” she said, getting off the table and running out of the room. She saw Zoey outside, looking at her confused. Casey felt tears brimming in her eyes as she looked at her cousin. Sam was standing close by, though her attention was elsewhere. This made it even worse. She ran quickly to the stairs, running up to her room. She knew Zoey and Marisa would watch everything. She just couldn’t be there right now.

She threw herself on her bed, crying freely now. What was she about to do? She couldn’t believe she had steeped that low, to hurt her best friend. There was a knock on the door. She didn’t answer. But the door opened anyway. Joe stepped in, his face apologetic. “Go away,” she said. ‘I can’t deal with you right now. You were right, I was wrong. Happy? You can leave now.”

“Casey I’m not here to point fingers,” he said quietly, closing the door behind him. He moved closer, standing by her bed now. “I’m here because I care about you.”

“Oh that’s rich,” she laughed now, though it hurt. “I’m sure you do.”

“I do,” he said, his voice pained. “I care about you more than I’d like actually.”

“Well gee thanks Joe,” she rolled her eyes.

He sighed and sat on her bed, his hand gently moving her hair out of her face. “Casey, I’m a rock star. I’m living my dream. I have amazing friends and an even more amazing family. My life has been one happy turn after another.”

“Wow that’s great for you,” she said sarcastically, not knowing where this was going. “And the point is what? You’re too good for me?”

“No,” he insisted. “Casey, what I’m trying to say is that I’ve had a lot of good things happen to me, but nothing, nothing makes me as happy as you.”

She gapped at him, his words not even registering. What was he trying to say? He leaned in and kissed her before she figured it out. It was surer this time, so much emotion coming in the kiss. She let him lean her back as his lips stayed on hers. His tongue lightly traced her bottom lip again, and when she opened her mouth slightly this time, he didn’t pull away, instead, deepening the kiss.

They were one for what seemed like all of eternity. But finally, he pulled away, moving himself so he was lying next to her, his arms still around her. They lay there, their eyes boring into each other’s. Casey felt her heart beating faster as he seemed to look through her. She knew now that he did want her. He did care.

Casey fell asleep soon, but Joe stayed up, just watching her. With the little time he had left, he didn’t want to miss another moment with her. He had realized today, when he saw her running from the room, tears in her eyes, that he couldn’t stay away any longer. He knew it was cruel, putting her through this when he was – dying, but he couldn’t stop himself. He needed her. He wanted her. The party blazed on downstairs, and Joe was sure it was a fun one. But he was more than content just staying here with her. He felt his phone buzz and saw he had a text from Nick asking him where he was.

He smiled as he responded quickly.

I’m exactly where I need to be.
♠ ♠ ♠
haha finally a more happy end to a chapter, no? And it's long too, over 2200 words! What did you guys think? Haha I actually like this chapter :] A lot juicier, no? Comments anyone? What do you guys think I'll do next? Muahaha ;]