Cheer Up Emo Kid

Watching, Waiting, Commiserating

Halley’s POV

"Oh geez! Oh shit! Oh my fucking gawd!" I yelled while pacing back and forth backstage.

"Halley calm down, everything will be fine!" Zach said.

"Are you sure Zach? Are you really sure?"

"Yes! I’m really, very sure!" he said stopping me from pacing.

"Just relax Hales, take a deep breath and sit down," A.J said.

"Hey A.J," Zach said turning around "you got the set list finished right?" A.J nodded and pulled a piece of paper out of his pocket. He smoothed it out and walked over to Zach, handing the set list over to him.

"Okay, first we'll play Dirty Little Secrets by All-American Rejects, second is The Last Night by Skillet, than our song Whispers In The Dark, and we end with Halley's song," Zach finished reading off the list then looked over at me. "Have you thought of a title for your song yet?"

I smiled for I had acctually thought about that on the way to the club just hours ago. “Yea acctually I have," I said to him.

"Well?" A.J pushed me slightly, "You gonna spill or what?"

"It's called Fences! Don't ask me why, I just thought it would fit. You know the line where it goes 'I’d show you how to build your fences set restrictions' well I just went with Fences. Do you guys think it's okay?"

"Why should we like it? It's your song after all," Zach said. “You wrote it so you get to name it whatever you like!" I smiled at him and Zach then frowned.

"Were in the hell is you brother A.J?" I frantically looked around the room. Jake was no were within my sight.

“I’m right here,” Jake said walking into the room “don’t get your panties in a bundle you twat.”

“What the hell Jake,” Zach said crossly, “she was just asking. If you don’t like it, then be in here next time!”

“Fuck off you fag” Jake spat back. A.J walked right up to him and slapped him across the face.

“Don’t you dare talk to my boyfriend like that!” A.J said darkly. Jake opened his mouth to say something back then club manager came through the door. He was a tall slightly round man named Kuzco. Yea that’s right Kuzco! You know that cartoon character off T.V who is self centered and just cares about being emperor? Well that’s this guy’s name. I think it’s atiny bit really obvious that’s not his real name.

“Well are you all ready?” he asked walking over to us. We all just kind of stood there until Jake spoke.

“Yea we're ready. The band was just about to tell me what songs we are going to play and then we are good to go.”

“Well that’s just great,” Kuzco said putting on a fake smile that could rival Skyla’s. “Five minutes gents,” he looked over at me and nodded, “lady.”

“A.J I uhhh,” Jake started.

“We’re going to play Dirty Little Secrets, then The Last Night, followed by Whispers in the Dark, and we’ll end with Fences” A.J said ignoring what his brother was trying to say.

“What’s Fences?” Jake asked.

“My song,” I said and he looked over at me. “I finally named it and it’s called Fences.”

“One minute everyone places!” Kuzco said popping his head in the doorway real quick before leaving us alone again.

“Let’s go,” Zach said. We all grabbed what we needed and stood by the stage. We were just out of view of the people in the club, although we could see them. As we all were trying to mentally prepare for what was about to happen, Kuzco walked out onto the stage.

“Ladies and gentle men may I have your attention please” As he said this every head turned and I suddenly felt more nervous. Alex came over to me and grabbed my hand, squeezing tightly.

“Everything is going to be okay Hales I promise,” he said kissing my cheek lightly. I noticed Zach look over at us and I shook my head, signaling that nothing was going on. He smiled slightly and nodded. He had seen me in enough community plays when I was little to understand how nervous I tended to get.

“It’s my pleasure to introduce, what I think, will be the next big thing! Give it up for Twilight!

The crowd of people who had formed in front of the stage began to clap, some more enthusiastically than others. I took a deep breath and looked at Alex.

“This is it,” I said and we all walked on stage to be met with more cheering. Why are they so happy they’ve never hear us before. I thought to myself as Alex walked over to the mic.

“Good evening everyone! We’re Twilight and some of you may know this song. It’s called Dirty Little Secrets!”

I started up the song and the crowd went wild. They didn’t have to like us to like the song!

Let me know that I've done wrong
When I've known this all along
I go around a time or two
Just to waste my time with you

Tell me all that you've thrown away
Find out games you don't wanna play
You are the only one that needs to know


I was a little worried that they wouldn’t like how we played the song, or how Alex sang or something. But by the course everyone was singing along and looked like they were having a good time! It made all my worries disappear.

The song ended and everyone cheered. Zach started the guitar for The Last Night and people started to cheer some more.

You come to me with your scars on your wrist
You tell me this will be the last night feeling like this


Alex sang his part and mine came up..gawd I hope they like me I thought as I opened my mouth to sing.

“I just came to say goodbye, I didn't want you to see me cry; I'm fine.”

Much to my disbelief some people screamed more. It made me smile like I hadn’t in days. They acctually liked the band. Not just Alex, Jake, and Zach, but me as well. I was so happy and in my own world I almost forgot my next part. The song ended and we started Whispers in the Dark. Alex introduced it and the crowd ate it up. Finally the song ended and Zach grabbed his mic.

“Thank you New Jersey! You all have been wonderful, we love you,” the crowd cheered. “Now this is our last song for the night. It’s a song that was written by our rhythm guitarist Halley and she’ll be singing it for us. So give it up for Halley!”

The crowd clapped and cheered. I looked over at Zach and smiled. Alex and I changed places on stage so that I was in the dead center. I looked out into the crowd and I swear I saw a guy that looked like Frank but I couldn’t be sure in this light. I shook my head and grabbed my mic.

“Hello everyone! Hope you’re having as much fun as I am tonight! This song is called Fences!” The drums and bass kicked in and I let the music take me away.

“I'm sitting in a room
Made up of only big white walls
And in the halls
There are people looking through
The window in the door
They know exactly what we're here for
Don't look up just let them think
There's no place else you'd rather be”

Things were going great till about the second course. Some guy walked into the club and looked directly at me. Then his eyes shot to Zach. It took all I had in me to keep singing and not scream for Zach to run and hide. The man who walked into the club was none other than Zach’s ‘father’ if you could even call him that. He made his way up to the stage and jumped on it. He wasn’t too far away from me so I could smell the alcohol on him. It was strong and I could tell Zach was in trouble.

“And it's obvious that you're dying, dying
Just living proof that the camera's lying
And oh, oh, oh-pen wide
Cause this is your night
So smile

Yeah, yeah you're asking for it
With every breath that you breathe in
Just…No Zach look out!

I dropped my mic and ran over to him but I was too late. Zach’s father had punched him square in the jaw and he fell off the stage. Thankfully someone caught him, and that the person next to him got his guitar before it was damaged from impact of the floor. Two other people jumped onto the stage and grabbed Zach’s dad. They pulled him off while he screamed many ah awful things to Zach; some to me. I felt bad for Zach, being called ‘faggot, gay bastard’ and other things. They must sound awful coming from his father. Kuzco came up on stage and picked up my fallen mic.

“Well, uhhh, that was interesting. Let’s have it for Twilight,” he barley gave the crowd time to register what he said and clap when he pushed us all backstage. The two men who caught Zach and the two who took away his father followed; so did another man. Kuzco never noticed.

“What the hell was all that about? You all were doing so well and then that jacka..Who the hell are you?” Kuzco finally noticed the extra five men in the room, all of which had hoods on covering their faces. Almost at the exact same time they removed their hoods. I squealed. Frank, Gerard, Ray, Bob and Mikey all stood before us. Kuzco looked shocked but suddenly put on one of his fake smiles.

“Well, well, well if it isn’t the chemical kids! I haven’t seen you guys in years! Come to play for the club that got you going?”

“Neither you nor your club got us off our feet Kuzco, but no we’re not here to play for you. We came here to see our friends,” Frank said coming closer to where we were standing. “Now if you wouldn’t mind, we’d like to talk to the band alone.” Kuzco’s smile fell and he walked out of the room. I ran over to Gerard and hugged him tightly.

“You guys came to see us perform!”

“Well duh! When Frankie and I got home we called up the guys and decided to head over” he said.

“Yea,” I said pulling away and sitting on one of the couches, “and you got to see us crash and burn.” I looked down at my feet and felt like crying. This night had been going great and then turned to shit! Frank came over to me and gave me a hug.

“Awww don’t cry Halley,” he said.

“Yea, cheer up,” Zach said, “the night will go on, my little windmill” Zach and Frank instantly burst into song and I rolled me eyes at them.

“Shut up you guys,” Mikey said laughing slightly.

“I have an idea,” Bob suddenly said “let’s go out and eat. We can get away from here and get to know each other. Frankie and Gerard talked about you three a lot and I want to know ya.” When he said three I looked around to see Jake was, once again, no were to be seen. I shrugged it off not really caring what happened to him right now. He had been an ass before the gig anyway. I looked up at Bob and smiled.

“Sounds like a plan!” And with that Frank and I stood up and we all walked out the backstage door.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hales is a nickname of mine…pronounced (Hail-z)
Just though I’d clear that up.

Commiserating - to feel or express sorrow or compassion for