Leaving My Fingerprints

Secrets

Maxie sighed as I waited patiently for her to tell me what was wrong. Maxie was my best friend and I didn’t like that she was keeping secrets from me. She looked at me for a long time before opening her mouth.

“I’m scared,” she said finally.

I reached over and touched her face gently. Her lip was quivering. “Of what?” I asked, concern lacing my voice.

“That you’ll replace me with Emma,” she said quietly.

If it weren’t for the sadness and pain in her eyes and tone I would have laughed. That was the most ridiculous thing I had ever heard. The thought made me laugh anyway. I couldn’t help myself. I let out a chuckle. “Seriously?” I asked her, still laughing.

She glared at me. “Way to laugh at me. And yes really.”

I laughed again. “Maxie we’ve been best friends for how many years? You really think I could replace you with – anyone? I mean, the memories alone are enough to keep you. Can you imagine what would happen if we got in a fight and you were so pissed you told people stuff about me? I’d be done.”

She rolled her eyes, knowing I was just kidding. “Wow, thanks for liking me for me.”

I laughed. “I’m just kidding. Seriously though Max. You know me better than anyone. Hell, we’re like the same person. No,” I said, looking her right in the eyes. “No one could ever replace you.”

She seemed satisfied with that answer as she reached above her and grabbed a pillow, swinging it to smack me.

“Hey,” I laughed. “What was that for?”

“For being corny,” she smirked.

“Ouch,” I clutched my heart, pretending to be offended. “I pour my soul out to you and that’s what I get?”

She smirked again. “Yup.”

I grinned, sighing. I looked up at the ceiling, putting my hands behind my head. “What would I ever do without you?” I asked. “Whatever happens with Emma, you’re stuck with me.”

She didn’t anything.

I sighed, smiling slightly as I thought of Emma. Emma with her beautiful face and her beautiful eyes, and her amazing personality. She was funny and sweet. I felt myself falling harder than I had in a long time. She was so like Maxie, which is one reason I think I even liked her like that. She was so full of life and energy. Maxie was my best friend. It seemed reasonable, predictable even that the girl I would fall for would be like that. Still looking at the ceiling, I asked “If I ask her out, will she say yes?”

Maxie didn’t say anything at first. I turned my heard, still resting on my hands, and looked at her questioningly. “She will never replace you Max,” I assured her quietly.

She sighed. “She likes Italian,” she told me.

I smiled, taking that as a yes. “Thanks,” I said.

“Any time,” she sighed.

We didn’t say anything then, just lying there, staring at the ceiling. It might have been awkward or weird if it were anyone else. But it wasn’t anyone else. It was Maxie. It was my best friend. Comfortably, I thought about what Italian restaurant to take Emma to.

---

I couldn’t believe what Maxie had told me. Six months? It was too soon. I mean, it was Maxie. She couldn’t be dying. I felt numb just thinking about it. And Nick – I could only imagine how he would react. This was going to kill him. I sighed, getting up from the couch where Joe, Demi, Selena, and I were watching He’s Just Not That Into You, Demi and Selena’s choice of course, though I was pretty sure Joe was mentally taking notes. They looked at me. “More coke,” I said, indicating the empty cup in my hand.

They nodded, and turned back to the movie as I walked into the kitchen. I sighed as I pouted myself another cup. Six months. I still couldn’t wrap my head around it.

“Kevin,” Joe said behind me. I jumped slightly, turning to glare at him as I spilled coke on the counter. I grabbed a napkin and started wiping it up. “You have a serious problem, always sneaking up on people.”

He smirked. “It’s because you’re a pansy.”

“Did you just call me a pansy?” I smirked at him.

“That’s not the point,” he said.

“And what is?” I asked as I threw the napkin out and took a sip of my coke.

“What does Maxie have six months for?” he asked.

“She told you,” I started to panic. He was corning me for this? Had he overheard something? Did he know? Oh man, Maxie was going to kill me. “Her mom’s moving.”

Joe rolled his eyes, evidently not as slow as he seemed. “I’m not an idiot,” he said. “Tell me.”

“I-I can’t,” I said.

“Why not?” he demanded.

I sighed. “It’s her secret.”

He rolled his eyes again. “That’s stupid, she’s like our little sister.”

“That’s what I said,” I said quietly.

“So tell me,” he said again. “It’s more than the she’s madly in love with Nick thing. Something’s going on.”

“Nothing is,” I said.

“Yes there is,” a voice said.
♠ ♠ ♠
Haha so I updated :] Not that great, I know. But I'm trying to get this moving along. Anyways comments please. Don't be silent readers :] Love you guys!