Join the Band

How’s Zane?

I chime in,
“Haven’t you people ever heard of
Closing the goddamn door?”
No, it’s much better to face these kinds of things
With a sense of poise and rationality.


I groaned as I tried to figure out why Panic! At the Disco were in my head. I had a splitting headache and my shoulder hurt like hell. And then I remembered, I Write Sins Not Tragedies was the song playing when the car had ran into us. I sat up suddenly, my eyes flashing open, wincing as I discovered the drip shoved into my hand.
“Oh Haylee!” Mum cried, jumping up and wrapping her arms around me.
“How’s Zane.” I said quickly. The last thing I remembered was the car crashing into Zane’s side.
“Matt and Jai are fine, barely a scratch. The doctors let them go almost straight away, they’re in the waiting area.”
“Zane, mum, what happened to Zane?” I was scared, shit scared. She didn’t look at me but stared at her nails.
“He’s pretty hurt, they wouldn’t tell me specifics except that he’s in surgery right now. They’re working on his spine.” She covered her mouth with her hand and tears began to fall. Now I was the one with my arms around her.
“It’s going to be ok Mum. He’s going to be ok.” But I was trying to convince myself as much as her. And then the doctor was there and Mum had to sit back as they ran me through a bunch of tests. I didn’t pay attention, just answered when they asked me a direct question. I kept thinking about Zane. If something serious happened to him it was my fault. It was my fault we were here in the first place. My fault for dragging Matt and Jai into the car. My fault for them fighting. It took all my self control to not break down in front of the doctor. I didn’t want him to stay any longer than he had to.

Finally he was gone and I collapsed back into the pillow, suddenly tired. The doctor had said something about a mild concussion and a dislocated shoulder but I had refused painkillers. I wanted to stay awake. I wanted to find out about Zane.

It was an antagonising ten minutes before the nurse walked in.
“Mrs Adams?” She said, turning to Mum. She nodded and the nurse continued.
“Your son’s going to be ok, but his spine had been damaged.” I froze and felt Mum do the same as she grabbed my hand. “His left arm and shoulder has been paralyzed. He can still write and eat and do everything with his right arm, but he wont be able to do things with his left, like drive.”
“Or play bass.” I croaked. This was worse then Zane losing his legs, at lest then he still would have been able to play.
“The doctor would like a word with you, Mrs Adams, just to explain his medication and recovery and such.” The nurse continued as if she hadn't heard me. Mum nodded and squeezed my hand slightly before exiting the room. The nurse went to follow her but I spoke up.
“Can I see him?” She paused and turned back to me.
“I’m not sure that’s a good idea.” She said, glancing at the drip in my hand.
“I’m fine. In fact I’d be better off with it out of me.” I hated needles, but that wasn’t the point.
“He’ll be asleep.” She said, still hesitating.
“Please?” She sighed and walked back over to me to take out my drip. I tried not to wince as she pulled it out and quickly pushed the bandage down so I wouldn’t have to see the blood. I swung my legs over the side of the bed and stood up, ignoring the slight dizziness, and followed the nurse out. We passed Matt, Jai and Nate but I didn’t acknowledge them. Not even Nate. I was focused on my brother.
“Oh Zane!” I cried, much like my mother, as I saw him lying there all bandaged up and pale. I pulled a chair up and sat by his right side, taking his good hand.
“I’m so sorry Zane.” I whispered, resting my head on his arm and finally letting my tears fall.

~Nate’s POV~

I paused as I watched Haylee walk past, and started up my pacing again when she disappeared into Zane’s room. We hadn’t heard anything, didn’t have a clue how Zane was. Matt and Jai sat in silence next to each other, too worried to mind the closeness. Mum had interrupted my Halo game to tell me about the crash. I’d just stared at her, opened mouthed, before she pulled me into a hug and told me she was going to drive Haylee and Zane’s mum to the hospital. Of course I’d told her I’d come but now I was thinking I should have stayed at home. At lest there I would have found something to keep my hands busy while I waited.
“You should go in after her.” I froze and turned to see Matt looking over at Jai.
“What?” Jai replied, returning his gaze.
“I always said you two belonged together. You should go in there and comfort her, remind her.” Jai shook his head.
“She doesn’t want me anymore. I don’t know what I did but that’s the way it went. She deserves better than me. She deserves you.” I stared at them. They must have really bumped their heads. Matt was shaking his head.
“She probably deserves neither of us.” They stared at each other for a little longer and I must have missed some silent conversation because one of them stood up and followed Haylee into Zane’s room.
♠ ♠ ♠
But which one was it!?!?!
hehe...

lyrics: I Write Sins Not Tragedies - Panic! At the Disco.