Join the Band

Just, thank you

~Haylee’s POV~

One, 21 guns
Lay down your arms, give up the fight
One, 21 guns
Throw up your arms, into the sky
You and I


Green Day drifted into my mind from the radio playing quietly in the background as I sat there with him. I was suddenly hyper aware of the bass line and I chocked back a fresh wave of sobs. And then I felt a pair of arms around me, breathed in the familiar scent, and buried my head in Matt’s chest. He didn’t say anything as I slowly soaked through his shirt, just rested his lips on the top of my head and rubbed my back. He was probably scared that if he said something I’d realise it was him and send him away, asking for Jai. Coz I knew that for him to be here Jai must have let him, which means they know me better than I know myself. I should have known that from the start.

Finally my tears stopped and I looked up at him.
“Thank you.” I whispered.
“For what?” He asked with a slight frown. I shook my head.
“Just, thank you.” He nodded, confusion still present in his face, but he made the smart choice not to say anything. I was curious about Jai and how they’d come to the decision that Matt should stay with me, but I didn’t want to worry about him at that moment. I was worried enough about Zane. Almost as if he’d read my mind Matt turned his gaze to Zane.
“How is he? They wouldn’t tell us anything.” He said quietly.
“He’s had some damage to his spine, his left arm’s paralyzed.” I explained, remaining surprisingly calm.
“But, can he play?” Matt said, alarm in his still-quiet voice I shook my head, not wanting to confirm out loud. “Shit, I’m sorry. If I hadn’t gone off at Jai none of this would have happened. I just...he just got to me.” He hung his head and I put my arm around him.
“It’s not your fault. If it’s anyone’s fault, it’s mine.” Matt was shaking his head but I continued; “At the very lest I should have been the one to turn around and tell you guys to shut up.” He opened his mouth as if he was going to say something but I put my finger over his lips. “We’re never going to agree and I’m too tired to have this discussion right now.”
“Sorry.” He said, hanging his head again. I sighed, moved so I was sitting in his lap and wrapped my arms around his neck. He pulled me close and I tilted my head so I could kiss him on the cheek. He smiled down and me and quickly captured my lips with his.
“Ugh, seriously guys, get a different room.” Zane’s groggy voice broke through our bubble and I quickly sat up on Matt’s lap and reached out to touch Zane’s arm.
“You’re awake!” Zane nodded.
“But I can’t feel anything higher than my ankles and right fingers.” He frowned slightly.
“That’s the antiseptic working, don’t worry, you’ll get feeling back soon.” The doctor walked into the room. I was about to say something about his arm when the doctor turned to me. “Haylee you should be getting back to your room, there’s somethings I need to talk to Zane about.” He said. I shut my mouth and nodded as Matt lifted me up.
“I’ll take care of her Doc.” He said, before carrying me into my room. I wrapped my arms around his neck and buried my face in his shoulder and by the time he’d reached my room, I had fallen asleep.

~Zane’s POV~

I sat there pulling at the skin on my left arm, pulling on my fingers, one by one, before hitting my forearm in frustration. I couldn’t feel any of it. I ran my good hand through my hair and tried not to start crying again. It failed and my hand came over my face, trying to hide the tears. I heard my door open and someone enter my room, but I didn’t have to look up to know who it was. I sniffed and Haylee’s arms found their way around me.
“I’m so sorry Zane.” She whispered.
“Shh, it’s ok Haylz, it’s ok.” I said, rubbing her back though my voice cracked. I shifted over so she could sit next to me on the bed and she did so, resting her head on my shoulder.
“Why don’t you hate me?” She whispered. I frowned down at her.
“Why should I hate you?”
“Because I’m the reason for all the crap lately, including this, and don’t try to tell me otherwise coz I can’t see how it’s not.”
“Haylee, you didn’t mean to be the cause of any of this. If it weren’t for Joe and Jai you wouldn’t have had to sing for us in the first place and none of it would have happened. So really, it isn’t your fault.” She shook her head.
“But it’s my fault I kissed Matt, my fault I broke Jai’s heart, my fault they fought in the back of the car and my fault you’re here now with...your arm…” She trailed off and glanced at it and I wished I could move it out of view.
“No, it’s Jai’s fault for being an arse and both of their faults for fighting. You can’t control who you fall for. Jai blames himself for losing you and he took it out on Matt. And you can’t exactly blame Matt for retaliating.”
“But…” I put my good hand over her mouth.
“Shut up. Stop beating yourself up. If you’re going to blame yourself, you’re going to have to blame everyone else. But I don’t blame any of you, and you shouldn’t either.” She looked up and me and sighed.
“You’re too nice sometimes Zane.” That made me chuckle.
“Since when have you thought me nice?”
“Since always, I’m just supposed to think you’re mean coz you’re my brother.” She grinned slightly and moments later we were in hysterics.

Suddenly my phone burst into song and our laughing calmed as Haylee reached out to grab it.
“Put it on loudspeaker.” I told her and she nodded as she answered and held it out, “Hello?”
“Hi Zane? I-it’s Coralie, from Joe’s band, I have some information about the semi-finals.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took so long, sorry it's so short, sorry it's not very good....
Just sorry.
BUT! I know how it's going to end now so the next few parts shouldn't take toooooo long...

Lyrics - 21 Guns - Green Day