Status: Finished.

This Empty Love

Chapter 18

I woke up before Oliver and didn’t dare move out of his arms. We fit together like a puzzle. Even the sheets twisted around us seemed to blend perfectly. I was just happy to wake up in his tattooed embrace.

It wasn’t too long before Oliver’s breathing became irregular and he started to stir. His arms tightened around me and his face burrowed into the crease of my neck. I knew he was awake now.

“Mornin’.” He whispered, his breath grazing my ear. His voice was light, almost carefree.

Instead of replying, I scooted closer to him and shut my eyes. If I could, I would just freeze time right now.

I could still feel his breathing. “I have practice at noon. It’ll probably last until four or five.” He stated, “But after, maybe we can go out. Owens did suggest a dinner date.”

I nodded and cleared my throat. “That sounds great, definitely.”

Oliver kissed my shoulder and rolled away from me, slipped out of bed, not bothering to find any clothes from the previous night before disappearing into the bathroom. As if on cue, my phone dinged next to me, signaling a text message. It was from Cara wanting to go to lunch in an hour. Of course, I agreed.

Being next out of bed, I was in hot pursuit of Oliver and the shower. When I reached the door, the sound of the water filled my ears. It was too late now to make him use the other bathroom, so I did the next best thing. I joined him.

“What are yeh-” Oliver stopped talking as I started to open the already fogged up glass door. He stared at me confused, both hands paused where they were atop his head scrubbing shampoo into his hair.

I couldn’t help but glance up and down his very naked, and wet, tattooed body. In the process, I also forgot to breath and notice that he was staring right back. I smiled awkwardly, “Just needed a shower.”

Oliver smirked at me and shook his head, turning to face the water and wash the soap out of his hair. Because we had this house custom built, we were smart enough to put two shower heads in one shower, giving me the ability to take my shower without fighting for warm water and space.

Five minutes later, half way through washing conditioner out of my hair, Oli’s arms snaked around my waist and brought my body back into his. He kissed along the back of my neck, nipping at my skin. I melted.

I turned around and welcomed Oliver’s kisses and touch. It became heated quick as steam circled through the bathroom. He pushed me against the shower wall with his hands running down my sides. I knew this had to stop now or I’d never get out of the shower.

Tilting my face down, I moved my lips away from him. “Oliver,” I was out of breath. “I need to be somewhere soon.”

He nodded and pecked my lips, moving away from me silently and exiting the shower. I stood there a while longer, back pressed against the tiles, watching the empty space where Oli just was. I couldn’t tell if he was angry or not.

When I was finally done with my shower, Oliver was gone. I guess he felt the need to leave an hour early for band practice. I put any negative thoughts in the back of my mind and got dressed, needing to hurry to lunch with Cara.

&&

“It’s nice to know I’m brilliant, my plans and all.” Cara joked, taking a sip of her tea. We were at some Chinese restaurant, recapping the last day. “So you have a date tonight too?”

I nodded. “Yeah, I’m kind of nervous.” I replied, “It’s like first date jitters, but not.”

“I know what yeh mean.” She said as she tried to pick up noodles with her chop sticks. “But, yeh won’t have me to run to after tomorrow.”

She took a bite while my mouth fell open. “What, why?” I sounded just a tad bit frantic.

Cara smiled. “I don’t live here silly. My job needs me back in a few days, which means I leave two days from now.” She explained it like this wasn’t big news. “I do, however, suggest talking to your sister about everythin'. Yeh can’t shut her out anymore, she can help if yeh let her.”

Sighing, I shook my head. “She already pulled an “I told you so” when I told her about the divorce. I can’t go to her for help without having to hear that again.”

“All I’m saying is that yeh should try. Yeh never know, Tay, she could have a different view on it all by now.” Cara shrugged as she spoke, taking another bite.

I nodded but didn’t reply, also eating my food. I don’t know what I’d do without her through all of this. A still crumbling marriage and my best friend is in and out of my life in a week.