I’ll Hide You Away From the World.

Without You, Is how I Disappear

Burning on just like a match, you start to incinerate,
the lives of everyone you knew


His shaking hands cupped his face as he trembled on the floor, blocking out the surrounding hospital noises. Isn’t it funny Mikey. How one minute she is there, and the next she’s gone? That all too familiar voice reappeared in the back of his mind. Mocking him, as if to say he deserved it. Sobbing loudly he struggled to breath, the pain in his heart tortured the rest of his body as his sorrow filled tears flooded from his eyes.

“…Mikey?” The unmistakeable voice of his brother cooed softly from behind him. Mikey lifted his head from its resting place in his palms and looked up at his brother with tear-stained eyes. Gerard was taken aback by the site of his brother’s tears, and quickly knelt to join him on the cold hospital floor.

“Why are you on the floor?” Gerard smiled slightly, trying to make his brother feel better. His attempt failed miserably as hot tears began filling Mikey’s already red stained eyes.

“Mikey, seriously. Talk to me.” Gerard urged his younger brother, now realising that something serious was going on and Mikey wasn’t crying from joy. After all, it wasn’t everyday you saw a grown man crying their heart out on cold hard unforgiving floors of a hospital.

“Alicia….she…she..” Mikey stuttered, trying desperately to spill the painful news to his brother in between his gut wrenching sobs.

“She what, Mikey?” Gerard’s loving voice became concerned as he firmly gripped his brother’s shoulders and stared straight into Mikey’s frightened eyes. “She…died.” He finally blurted out, breaking into uncontrollable tears and Gerard forcefully pulled his brother into a hug. Cradling him in his arms as Mikey’s hot tears soaked through his thin cotton shirt and into the pale skin hidden underneath.

Gerard continued to hold his brotherly tightly in his arms as time passed and Mikey’s heavy sobs softened into jaggered breathing as he allowed his brothers warmth to comfort him, relaxing his muscles and easing the pain, which had so mercilessly taken over his heart. Neither spoke as the seconds ticked away, turning into minutes. The minutes seemed to turn into hours as time slowly dragged by and both brother shared Mikey’s heartache.

A nurse finally appeared from inside the surgery and stopped beside the two brothers who clung to each other on the floor.
“Mr Way I presume.” A delicate feminine voice drifted down into their ears. Mikey snapped his head up and scrambled to his feet to be greeted by a young blond haired nurse dressed neatly in her hospital scrubs. A kind smile plastered across her glowing face as Mikey faced her, a terrible mess. His eyes were blood shot and his pale olive skin, tear streaked from all the crying.

“That’s me.” He blurted out, the words coming quickly and rushed as he shuffled his feet from side to side. Gerard stood up, joining his brother’s side and placing his strong hands on Mikey’s shoulders as his fragile heart tried to brace himself for the dreaded news that he knew would shortly follow.

“I’m very sorry, but your wife.” She faltered, trying to pick the right words. “Alicia Way, did not make it. You may go in to say your final good byes.” She cooed sympathetically before turning and walking away leaving Mikey paralyzed in the eerie stillness of the halls. His tears had quickly ceased as all emotion drained away with the colour of his skin.

Of course, Mikey knew Alicia died. He’d been standing in the room when the long and steady beep filled the room. That same noise now replaying itself repeatedly in his mind like a broken record as his knees trembled only barely managing to hold his weight.

“Come on Mikes. This is your last chance to say goodbye.” Gerard spoke, turning sharply in front of his brother and focusing his serious hazel eyes on Mikey’s fear stricken face. He took him gently by the hand and led him into the surgery where Alicia’s motionless body lay on the hospital bed.

He dragged Mikey halfway across the path which led to Alicia, then backed away to stand outside the surgery door, leaving Mikey to make the rest of the journey on his own. She lay peacefully with her head rested against the soft mound underneath her, her long black hair contrasting against the white of the pillow. Her muscles were completely relaxed as her arms rested perfectly by her sides and her eyes gently shut. A cold shiver ran up the back of his spine as he edged closer to the bed, and reached out towards her, gently stroking her emotionless face. Her skin was cold against the warmth of his own. A clear difference between life and death as the blood no longer pumped itself through her veins and her chest stayed perfectly still. She was just a beautiful in death as she had been alive, but nobody ever wished to see the one person they loved truly, dead. Alicia had been Mikey’s soul mate. She was the one. And now she lay before him, dead. He took hold of her deathly cold hand and gently kissed her forehead. She was the light in his life, and without her, everything was dark.

He released her fingers from his grip letting them fall gently back to onto the bed. It took all the strength in his body to stop himself collapsing to the floor again in a puddle of tears and turn away from her body to exit the room. Leaving her to lie in an eternal rest, her eyes were never to open again. He stopped at the door of the surgery and took one last glance into the dull hospital room.

“Goodbye.” He muttered, a single tear escaped his eyes, trailing a lonely path down his cheek until falling onto the floor below. Gerard reached out and took his brothers hand as they journeyed down the silent halls. The path that lay ahead of Mikey’s life foggy and unclear as Alicia would no longer be in his future. Her final words echoed in his mind. I. Will. Always. Love. You.