‹ Prequel: Move

Gone

The Next Step

Image
We all filed into the suite, with me being the first person in. I walked further into the suite and turned around to face all of the people. Sam shut the door as I turned around.

They all stood about a yard from me and had stern looks on their faces. They stood in a line close to each other and they were all looking at me. Cassidy was no longer crying and was looking at me with the same expression as everyone else.

I looked at each of their faces and I knew what the look they were giving me was. They were waiting for me to give the first stand. They wanted direction. Direction from the Alpha. The Alpha who no longer was like them and was a useless human. Well, so was Edward, but they weren't looking up to Edward. I was the only one who knew what to do.

I hesitated for a moment to gather my thoughts. Everyone remained silent and waited for my orders. I looked at each of them and began my speech.

"Okay, here's what we are going to do." I paused. "First off, I need to call Jack to see if he got more people recruited. Second, when we fight tomorrow we do not panic." I quickly looked at Justin. "Justin, you are our key. You will stay close to me, but you'll be behind me. I can't risk your life." I looked back at each face. "We'll all make a formation around Justin so that he can protect all of us. Especially Edward and I considering we are indeed human."

Edward looked at me. "So, I am assuming I'll be close to you?"

I nodded. "The people I want close to me are Edward, Justin, Cassidy, Sam, and Brittany." I looked at each of them. My eyes stopped on Brittany/Meredith. "You'll need to let your nuclear thing not kill me while you kill the others. I'm not resistant to heat you know."

Edward smiled. "Nye am I."

Brittany smiled. "I'll do my best."

I stared at her. "With Justin on our side you don't need to do it full blast anyways. Unless Justin can't focus on someone who tries to get to you."

Justin looked at me. "Alyssa, I have only one concern."

"Yes?" I asked.

"What if Peter has a sort of shield that I cannot break through?"

I hesitated because I didn't know the answer to his question. "I can't say I know. That's why I have to call the human genius."

Sam laughed. "He's not exactly human."

I smiled. Then I became serious again. "All I can say is I want you all to use your senses and the weapons I gave you."

Cassidy looked at me. She was standing next to Tobey with Edward on her other side. "What about you? You don't have nearly as alert senses and you have no protection."

I pointed at Justin. I dropped my hand. "As long as I have him, a bullet proof vest, and a gun I'll be fine."

Cassidy stared at me. "What if you won't be fine."

I gave a smug grin and walked over to her. I looked into her eyes. "Cass, you have to think positive in any situation to make it out alive."

Tobey looked at me and then at Cassidy. "She's right, Cass. Think positive and you get the result that's positive."

I smiled at Tobey and then walked backwards facing them all again. Cassidy looked up at Tobey and then at me. Her eyes fell to the ground.

"Now I know why you're the Alpha and I'm not."

Edward smiled. "Or else that could be because she married the male Alpha." He looked at me with a gleam in his eye. God, did he ever look like Riley.

I smiled at him and then looked at everyone. "The positive outcome of this would be all of us getting out alive along with Riley and the others. The negative outcome would be just the opposite."

Eve looked at me. "How will we get past Peter to get Riley and the others?"

I stayed smiling. "How did I know you'd be the first to ask?" I figured because she was basically our only way of transportation now. My smile faded. "If Justin can get me past most of Peter's army, I'll most likely need you to teleport me past him to release the hostages. I'll need the help from all of you to get them off of those machines. I'll need the strongest people to get Peter secure so that I can get my powers back."

Edward looked at me seriously. "Who do you figure is the strongest?"

I sighed. "I'm not so sure at the moment. From the people in this room I'd have to say Sam, Brittany, and Cassidy."

Sam tilted his head. "Not to seem argumentative or judgemental, but I don't think the three of us could get him down."

Everyone's eyes went from Sam to me. I looked at the ground.

"Alyssa," Tobey said, "I'm sorry to suggest an order, but I think I could do it."

I looked up from the ground at him.

"I think that if Justin was able to stop him from using his powers for just the second to focus on Peter and the three people you mentioned could hold him down, I think I could erase his memory to the point of which he won't remember he has powers." Tobey continued.

I thought for a moment. It seemed reasonable. I started to speak my mind. "If Sam, Brittany, and Cassidy could hold Peter down and if Jack did recruit more people they could help to block Peter's army from getting to us. And if Justin could stop Peter from using his powers for a second, Tobey could then erase his mind and I could get my powers back. Meanwhile the others could let loose the hostages."

I looked up from the ground. "Am I the only one that likes this plan?"

Everyone nodded and looked at each other mumbling things. Edward stayed motionless with a smirk on his lips. I smiled at him. I then looked at everyone's face.

"Okay then. That'll be the plan to get Peter and the hostages. Now remember that plan and remember the formation I want us in. I want Justin in the middle, behind me. I want Edward, Sam, Brittany, and Cassidy close by. Otherwise, I want the rest of you to make a line across. Attack anyone and everyone who comes in contact with you. Got it?"

Everyone nodded again. I smiled to myself. "This just might work." I muttered.

Sam looked at me. "Okay, so we have us...are you going to call Jack?"

I looked at him and nodded. "That would probably be a good idea."

"Yeah," Sam sighed.

I turned around and pulled my phone out of my pocket. Everyone behind me broke from their straight line and disappeared around the suite. They stayed out of the living room as I began to move towards the couch.

I dialed Jack's number and slowly sat down on the leather couch. I pressed my cell phone to my ear and let it ring. I crossed my legs and waited for Jack to pick up.

"Hello?"

"Jack?"

"Alyssa?"

"Yes, did you recruit some more people?"

Jack laughed a little. "I recruited a little more than some people."

"Oh, yeah?"

"Yes."

"How many?"

"About one hundred and fifty."

I hesitated for a moment thinking of what to say. Edward walked around from the back of the couch and sat next to me looking at me as I began to speak again.

"Really?"

"Yes," he said. "Now, I got all of the information. I have a very accurate person who can fore-see the future."

"So, you know what just happened five minutes ago?"

"Umm..." he paused. I kind of assumed he was checking the time. "Yes. You were discussing the plans."

"Yes, are you ready to come here now?"

"Well," Jack said, "do you honestly think there is room for one hundred and fifty of us even in a suite?"

"Hmm...That's a very good point."

"I don't think you need super human intelligence to figure that out, Alyssa."

I smiled. "Okay, fine. But do you think you can come here? You are one of my main people after all."

"Yes, I think I can come there. Besides, you do need my help in figuring out where to go, right?"

"Well, that's what Peter said." I looked at Edward and smiled. "Jack, can you also bring some of your most powerful people that you recruited?"

Jack hesitated. "Yes, I can. I'll be there in less than a half hour."

I creased my forehead. "What are you going to do with all of those people?"

Jack laughed. "You worry too much. I'll be there in less than a half hour."

I sighed and rubbed my forehead with my free hand. "Alright. See you then."

"I'll be there."

And with that the phone call ended. I closed my phone and shoved it back in my pocket. I looked up at Edward. He looked so much like Riley. I shook my head. I had to save Riley. I had to save him so I could stop thinking about that kiss between Edward and I.

Edward smiled. "I know what you're thinking about."

I looked back at him. "How?"

"Because I'm thinking the same thing."

I creased my forehead. "But how could you possibly know what I was thinking."

He kept smiling his Riley smile. "Your facial expression, the way you just looked at me, and the situation we are in. Oh, and let's not forget about that kiss."

I quickly reacted to that last part. "Shh!" I looked around to see if anyone heard that.

Edward smiled. "Relax. Look," he grabbed my arm and held me still. "Neither of us will forget about it unless you want Tobey to erase it from our minds."

I thought about it for a moment. It would have been incredibly weird not knowing what happened between us. It also would be completely weird having Tobey know and me not even knowing. I looked back up at Edward.

"No," I said.

Edward smiled. "Ah, so you do want to remember it."

I frowned. "You are ridiculous," I rolled my eyes. "I just don't find it comfortable to have Tobey know about it and me not to."

Edward tilted his head and loosened his grip on my arm. "But what about Riley? Once we save him he'll be able to read your mind."

"Not fully though."

"And what about my own mind?"

I didn't hesitate. "Even if he did read your mind and see it, he'll also see that I pulled away and said 'No'. He'll see that you were the one that kissed me."

Edward tilted his head again. "So, you are willing to risk him trusting you and my mind?"

I frowned. "I'll take my chances."

Edward let my arm go and I stood up. I looked back down at him. He kept smiling.

"I'll never forget it, Alyssa. Remember that."

"Oh, I will. But for right now how about we both just worry about saving your brother and my husband instead of worrying what he'll say about our little moment."

His eyes gleamed. "If I had powers I would kill Peter myself."

I turned around and faced him. "You do realize that once I get my powers you will be the only human."

Edward nodded his head of thick black hair covered with gel. "I do indeed. But somehow I think that's how it was always supposed to be."

I nodded. "Even if you did get them back, could I trust you with them?"

Edward's smile faded a little and then came back. "Alyssa, you could trust me with your life."

"Why is that?"

Edward leaned forward with his elbows on his knees. "Do you want the truth?"

"If the truth will give me answers, then yes."

Edward looked down at the coffee table that was behind me and then his eyes stared directly into mine. "It's because I love you."

I stood there in total shock. I thought I was going to faint right there and fall down onto the coffee table and shatter the glass. Instead I stood there looking at him as though he'd gone crazy. I snapped out of it after a couple minutes.

I shook my head and then wiped my face with my hands. I laughed a little while wiping my face. I smiled and then looked at Edward.

"You know that I will never love you back, I hope."

Edward looked at the ground. "I know." He paused and then looked back up at me. "After you killed me that second time, I realized how much I was missing out in life by being the antagonist in your life. That's why I'm here today."

I shook my head. "During that kiss," I almost whispered. Sam, Cassidy, and Tobey were in the kitchen which was the closest room to the living room. "I almost thought for a moment that you were Riley."

Edward's smile showed sadness and defeat, but it also showed that he didn't care. He really did love me.

"You really do love him, don't you?"

I nodded my head. "Why do you think I married him and not you?"

Edward gave a non-enthusiastic laugh. He stopped laughing and then became serious. "I'm sorry, Alyssa."

I frowned. "You better be."

"No, I truly am. From now on we will be known as brother and sister by law. Deal?" He held out his hand.

I looked at it and hesitated. Edward kept it open for a shake. I carefully placed my hand in his and we grasped each other's hands and shook. Edward smiled and so did I. Our shake ended and I took my hand back. I looked at his eyes that looked just like Riley's.

"Now, it's time to become serious," I said.

Edward stood up from the couch and stood taller than me. "I thought we were being serious there." He smiled.

I smiled. "You know what I mean."

He nodded. "Let's go save your husband."

And for once in my life I felt partial relief. Edward really was no longer my enemy, but it would be incredibly weird having him love me and me being married to his brother. Oh well, that's how it was now anyways. The next step in this process was to save Riley and the others. And I wanted to get them back as soon as possible.
♠ ♠ ♠
I was determined to make this chapter after I got the lovely new banner from my new mibbian friend, shellyisnothere. Thank you for the lovely banner and the inspiration to continue my story tonight! Comment and tell me what you think of the new banner!