‹ Prequel: Move

Gone

Trouble

Image
I turned around in the kitchen chair as Edward walked through the doorway. He looked great. He wore one of Riley's black long sleeved shirts, that looked like the one he just changed out of, and the sleeves were rolled up to the elbows. He had a pair of Riley's stonewashed jeans on and I had to admit, he looked rather attractive. He smiled at me, reading the expression on my face. Edward moved gracefully over to the chair next to me and sat down. His hair no longer had the blood in it, instead it looked as if he ran his hands through it with gel. He looked at me with a smile.

"Looks like the blood dried," he said looking at the towel that was still in my hands and then looking at my lips that were caked with dry blood.

I hesitated and nodded. "Yeah, yes it is." I took in a deep breath and sighed. "It's odd how you look nothing like your brother, but remind me so much about him."

Edward shrugged. "I guess that is odd. You should probably get that blood off of your face."

I nodded again. "Yeah," I said about to get up.

"I got it," he stopped me.

I looked at him and stayed seated. He kept that gorgeous smile on his face. He quickly licked his thumb and lifted it to my lips. His thumb gently caressed my upper lip, washing the blood away. I couldn't respond. I didn't know how to. His hand went to the side of my face. The thumb rubbed my cheek as he cupped his hand around my jaw line. He carefully and slowly pulled my head closer to mine. I looked at his lips. They inched towards mine. Edward stared down at mine. Seconds passed and his lips were centimeters from mine. His human scent entered my nose. It wasn't nearly as intoxicating as Riley's, but for a human, it was intoxicating. I looked once more at his lips. I realized what I was about to do. Edward pressed his lips gently against mine. I kissed him for several seconds and I pulled back. His hand slipped from my cheek.

"Shit! No!" I responded frowning.

Edward frowned with a partial smile still on his lips. He draped his arm over the back of his chair. I shook my head and looked at him.

"We...never talk about that again," I said hesitantly.

He smiled. I stood up quickly off of the chair and walked over to the sink. I flipped the handle up and hot water came out of the faucet. Edward stayed still and silent in the chair behind me. I cupped my hands under the running water and splashed the water that was on my hands onto my face. The water dripped across my face. The red remains of blood were washed away into the sink. I took in a breath of air and grabbed another towel that was next to the sink and dabbed my face dry. I leaned over the sink for a moment.

What did I just do? Had I really just kissed my brother-in-law? Oh God, I might as well have been struck by lightning right there.

Edward silently moved from the chair and leaned against the counter next to me.

"From the reaction you just gave me," he said, "I would take the hint that you actually enjoyed that." I rolled my eyes without looking at him. He chuckled. "Alyssa, I occasionally wonder why you chose my brother instead of me. You just said it for yourself, I remind you of him. Tell me something, that kiss, did you imagine my brother?"

I hesitated for a moment. The truth was, I wasn't imagining Riley. I was sort of enjoying the kiss between Edward and I.

Edward chuckled by my non-response. "Funny how that works. Two brothers extremely similar, but completely different kissers. Is that what you think?"

I rolled my eyes again and walked away from him and back to the kitchen table. I didn't sit down, instead I grabbed the bloody towel and paced myself over to the garbage can that sat in the corner. Edward moved too, following my every move with a smile on his face.

"Alyssa, when I said I was going after the same thing as you, I meant that I was going after Peter so that I could get my powers back. When I get them back, I can protect my family."

I looked at him and froze in the middle of the room. "What if your family says they don't need protection?"

"Well," he smiled, "it looks like to me that if you don't get your powers back and Riley doesn't get his powers back, you're going to need protection."

I nodded with a frown. "And since we are going after the same thing, you will need protection of your own. The protection that I am using. Once my protection helps me regain my powers and helps you, Riley, my father, and Hunter regain their powers, I see no use of needing you to be my protection."

He nodded. "Alright, but there is still two issues."

"Yes?" I urged.

"First, what if I just want to act as a protection so that I can be with my family?" He asked.

"I see no problem with that. Except I will not be alternating between you and my husband," I said.

Edward nodded. "Fair enough. Second, who or what is this protection you speak of?"

I smiled. "I believe you already know them."

He creased his forehead. "Let me guess, Miss. Nuclear Explosion, Miss. Space/Time Continuum and Mr. Manipulative? Oh lets not forget your friend Sam and your sister."

"Don't get me wrong, Edward. But I think you have feelings for Eve. Or Miss. Space/Time Continuum if you please." I smiled.

He frowned. "Why do you say that?"

I raised an eyebrow. "Well, lets just say I can tell people's expressions very well."

"Social perceptive, you are?"

I shrugged. "Well, if you want your powers back and a family that will care for you, you have to prove to me on this journey that you have changed."

"Well, to be honest, kissing you was a big change for me," he said. "Just admit it, Alyssa. You don't know if you love the new me or if you love Riley more."

I sighed. "You're right."

He frowned. "I am?"

I smiled. "I do kind of like the new you."' I shrugged and walked around him and towards the living room, grabbing the phone on the way. I went into the living room and sat on the leather couch.

I sat there for a second just looking at the phone with a smile on my face. I purposely said that only to confuse him and to try to make him change his behavior even if he was "new". The purpose was to make him want to be the new Edward so that I would like. As manipulative as it was, it was partially true. I did like the new him, even if he had just kissed me. I reacted differently and instead of slapping him, I told him I liked him. I never imagined the day, but it was sort of a relief. Obviously I loved Riley more than him, but I thought it would be neat if Edward joined the family. It would be almost complete. There would be Riley, Hunter, Cassidy, my father, Edward, and I.

My chest immediately started to burn when I thought of them. My smile faded and turned into a frown. I had to temporarily forget about the whole Edward situation and focus on saving my family. The only real family member that was safe was Cassidy. I didn't even know that for sure. I lifted the phone and dialed her cell phone number. I put the phone up to my still wet ear and let it ring.

"Hello?" Cassidy answered.

"Cass," I said, "are you alright?"

"I'm fine. Although I haven't heard from Hunter in a while, which is weird. Why?" She asked concerned.

I explained everything to her. I explained the Peter incident and how Edward saved me. I explained that Edward told me that Peter captured Hunter, Riley, Ann, and our dad. I had to explain how our father was still alive. I explained that neither Edward or I had powers anymore and it was most likely Peter took the other's powers. I told her that this was now war. I didn't mention the kiss. Cassidy stopped me.

"Okay, so where are they?" She asked.

I shrugged even though I knew she wouldn't she it. "Peter said that he told me during that whole thing."

"Wait," Cassidy said, "where did he say Ann and him were?"

"California. Why?" I responded. She hesitated waiting for me to get it. "Cass, you're a genius." I said sitting at the edge of the couch.

"Alright, so they're in California. Where in California?" She asked.

"Where are you?" I asked.

"Downtown," she responded. "On Sam's block."

I smiled. "Good, go to his house, explain to him, get him to the airport, have him touch one of the computers and have him locate the city Peter and Ann flew to. Then, report back to me."

She laughed. "How are we going to get into the airport?"

"Cass," I said, "you have abilities, Sam has abilities. Use your imagination."

She chuckled again. "You can take the powers from the Alpha, but the Alpha still authorizes like the Alpha."

"Good luck, Cass," I said.

"You too, sis."

I smiled and ended the call. My fingers quickly dialed Eve's number. I was surprised I still knew it. I hadn't called her or talked to her since my wedding. I put the silver phone back to my ear.

"Hello?"

"Hello? Is this Eve?" I asked.

The voice chuckled. "Is this Alyssa Gray/Greenwood/Ackers?"

I gave a small laugh. "Very funny. The reason I called is because I need your help."

"I'm here to help," she said.

I smiled. I explained everything that I told Cassidy and everything Cassidy and I discussed. What Cassidy and Sam were doing and what my plan was for her.

"Eve, I'm going to need you to teleport yourself to Tobey and Meredith. Explain to them, get them to help, and then come to my house." I said.

"Whatever you say, Alyssa," she said. "Is Edward going to be there?"

I smiled. "Why yes he is. I'll try to hold him here as long as possible for you."

"Alright, see you in a while," she said.

"G' bye, Eve," I said. I hung up the phone.

Edward moved around the couch from behind me and sat on the couch cushion next to me. He looked forward and then shifted his head to me. I turned my head to him.

"Eve asked if you were going to be here," I said.

He creased his forehead. I smiled and stood up off of the couch. My feet moved me around the couch. I stopped behind Edward's head and whispered into his ear.

"I should've told her you were gone," I teased.

He frowned. "You should've told her that if she doesn't hurry her little Space/Time Continuum ass up, you're entire family will be gone."

I frowned and stood up behind him. "I think she got my drift."

"You better hope so, Mrs. Ackers," he said. He grabbed the remote control next to him and turned the television on.

"Very well then, Mr. Ackers," I said.

He gave a small chuckle. All I could do now was hope that my husband, brother, father, and friend and whoever else he may have captured was alright and not about to die. I knew what Peter was capable of. That day I saved him from his cell, he and I both knew he was bad. Everything would have worked out if he was on my side still. But, I suppose, that' s not how life works. I stayed behind Edward watching the television trying to erase my thoughts.

"You know, Alyssa," Edward said without looking away from the television. "Life has it's ways."