Status: complete.

Breaking the Rules, NHL Style

part thirteen I Fell Out of A Tree

I stood there paralyzed with fear.

Unable to move,

and scared for my life.

I stared at Connor, with that smug look on his face.

“H-how did you g-get in here?” I stuttered. Evgeni watched me, very confused, not saying a word.

“Well Hun, Connor’s cousin is manager of this hotel,” Kat said in a bored tone, walking slowly over to me. “You don’t mind right?”

She started stroking the side of my face. I flinched, closing my eyes.

“You don’t mind, right?” she repeated, sternness ringing through her voice this time. I shook my head yes, what was I going to do? Say no? That would not end up well, probably the death of myself, or possibly Evgeni. No Joke.

“And who are you?” she asked, removing her hand from my face, and placing it on Evgeni’s chest, making anger build up inside of me.

I didn’t want her touching him, looking at him, talking to him.

But she was Kat, she did what she wanted, got what she wanted, and if she wanted Evgeni, I couldn’t stop her. The only one that could was Evgeni.

“Malkin,” he said a tinge of disgust in his eyes. “Oh, your cute.” Kat said, winking at him, and moving away.

I looked up Kat and down, she was wearing a short skirt, and skimpy tank top. She had thick red eyeliner on, and if I didn’t know better would I have thought she was a stripper.

On second thought...

“Why are you here? What do you want? Why did you bring him?” I asked, referring to Connor.

“I can’t tell you yet, darling. But you will know, soon.” Kat now sat down on the couch.

Connor and the guy next to him followed. The guy, I wasn’t sure who he was. His hair was black, looked died, with a white bandana rolled up and tied over the hair. He had a My Chemical Romance shirt on and skinny jeans. Light eyeliner was on his eyes, and a small pericing on his lip. He looked somewhat nicer, then they did.

He had this familiar presence. Although, i wouldn't trust him if he was with Kat.

“Get over here, Tristan," Kat called.

“Evgeni, I want you to leave, get out of here, I don’t want you wrapped up in this,” I whispered, to him.

“I can’t just leave you.”

“Please, just go out to the beach, tell them that I didn’t feel good. Have fun,” I looked into his eyes. Tears were filling up in mine, a couple slipped and ran down my face. Evgeni took his finger and wiped it away.

“I- okay.”

I hugged Evgeni and led him out the door. Shutting it and letting him leave.

“Stop please, Kat, I don’t like it. It hurts.”

A younger version of me screamed.

“Kat what are you doing?” my older brother, who was twelve at the time yelled.

Kat stood in front of me, blocking me from his view. “

Nothing Bryce. Now leave!”

“No, what are you doing to her?”

I heard gasping.

“Why are you doing this!” Bryce demanded, pushing Kat out of the way.

“Tristan.”

“It hurts Brycie.”

“Sh, I know, it’s okay, I’m taking you to the hospital. It’s okay.”

“All right...”

“Tristan, you fell out of the tree, that’s why you’re back is bloody, okay?”

“I don’t remember.”

“That’s fine, I’ll tell the story.”

“Where’s papa?”

“Not here.”


I sat down on the couch, a painful memory flooding back to me. I reached for my back, feeling the scars still there.

But that’s okay, I fell out of a tree.

“How are you doing?” Kat asked, leaning on Connor.

“Fine.”

“Really, who’s that yummy guy you're hanging with.”

“I live with him, along with a couple other guys.”

“Oh really, just like you, living with guys. Are you pregnant yet?” Connor asked, smirking as his eyes widened.

“Shut up Connor, what I do is none of your business,” I said, raising my voice, clutching my fists.

“Well we should go, see you around,” Kat grunted, lazily. Getting up, and walking over to me.

“Get up.”

I did what I was told with out hesitation. She controlled me. And I hated it.

“Turn around,” she turned me around, and pulled up my shirt, to reveal my back, and the scars. She ran her long nails over the scars.

“Hmm, they’re fading we might have to fix that,” she said laughing slightly, and pulled down my shirt. Soon after Kat left the room.

“Night Tristan, sleep tight,” Connor whispered in my ear, kissing my neck.

The door shut. And I let tears freely fall from my eyes. I wanted to punch a wall. To curl up in a ball. But I wouldn’t run away. Not this time, I wasn’t going to fall out of any tree soon.

I felt like barging out that door, telling Kat to go away, and then run and kiss Evgeni. But before I could do anything I fell to the ground. I went hysterics.

And that’s how Evgeni found me two hours later.

[Dryland, Day 1]

“I am John Merrit, I am going to be your head couch for the next two weeks,” The rough looking man spoke.

We had found out yesterday we were not staying for the whole two weeks, things came up. Well that’s what Ray told us. And he also forgot to mention, that other NHL players were going to be here.

Like two teams, Detroit Red Wings, and the Capitals.

“Grab two partners,” I reached out to Sidney and Kris, who both reached for me.

A partner from each team.”

“Did he just say that?” I whispered. “Yeah, he did,” Sidney pated me on the back, and walked away. I waved to Evgeni, who smiled brightly, making me once again melt.

“Hi, wanna be partners?” I looked up to see my hero, my idol, who I had been eyeing the whole day.

“Yes!” I said, a little too excited like.

“I mean, err, yeah, that’d be cool," I said shrugging, trying to act calm.

The Russian laughed.

“I’m-” he started.

“Pavel Datsyuk, you’ve been my idol since your first year in the NHL. Your amazing,” I said shaking his hand.

“Thanks! I’m glad your a fan. Your Tristan Davis, right?”

“You know my name?” I gaped, shock written all over my face.

“Yeah, the Wings been routing for you to make an NHL team. You're amazing,” he said smiling.

“Thanks!” I was beaming, unable to say anything else.

“Guess we better find another partner."

“Davis, Datsyuk, here’s your last partner,” John pushed another Russian towards us.

Oh no! Anyone but him.

“Hi, I’m Alex Ovechkin,” he reached out a hand to Pavel, and then to me, looking me over with a sort of un-approving look.

“I know, that you’re Pavel Datsyuk, but you?”

“Oh, well I’m Tristan Davis, I play for Pittsburgh.”

“Oh, you’re that girl, hear your amazing,” he grinned reviling his teeth, or lack there of.

“Err, thanks.”

Geez if he wasn’t so into making love with his ego, I might think he was cute. But his ego is like the size of a galaxy.

I smiled politely. I looked over at Evgeni, who was looking at me. I smiled at him, and he waved. He was with Mikael Samuelsson from the Red Wings, and Sergei Fedrov he was from the Capitals, a Red Wings idol. Evgeni quickly glared at Alex, smiled at me and turned around.

“This is going to be your partner for the next week. All right, start stretching,” John ordered.

Pavel, Alex and I got on the ground, in a diamond thing, and started stretching.

“So you’re favorite NHL team is Red Wings?” Pavel asked.

“Yeah! They are the best. I mean, I can’t really favor you guys anymore, cause I’m on a team of my own."

Pavel and I laughed. I hadn’t really talked to Alex yet. He was kind of just sitting there.

“So Alex, what’s up?” I asked, trying to make conversation.

“Nothing much. I guess,” he smiled.

“So...” I was at a loss for words.

“We should hang sometime,” he told me and I smiled.

“You know, you’re cute when you smile,” he whispered as we got up. Red was now tinting my cheeks. “And even cuter when you blush.” he smirked at me.

Okay, yeah he was good. But I bet this is the normal routine. I just smiled and started talking to Pavel.

“Okay, we are going to have a three person race," John informed us, towards the end of dryland day.

“Sweet!” I cried.

“Here.”

John handed us two rubber band like things, attached to velcro bands. “

What are these for?” I asked.

“Put them on your ankle, attach the next to your partner.”

“Oh, that kind of three person race.” I turned around.

“I’ll be in the middle.”

“Fine with me.” Pavel smiled.

Fast forward: After practice

“Ugh.”

I landed on the bed.

“Are you sore?” Evgeni asked, getting on the bed next to me, stroking my arm.

“Kinda.”

“Me too. So how’s Ovechkin?” Evgeni rested his head on my stomach.

“He’s fine. I guess, he’s nice to me. But he’s like making love with his ego!”

Evgeni burst out laughing. “Yeah, he is, But be careful okay?”

“Okay? But will you come up here and lay with me?” I asked, smiling.

“Sure.” Evgeni crawled up, pulling me into his arms.

“So, what went on with your sister. You wouldn’t talk yesterday.”

“I was just thinking. And, I’m not sure.” I turned around, Evgeni ran his hand up and down my back.

He slowly put his hand inside my shirt and started rubbing my back. I felt myself tense.

“What’s on your back?” Evgeni asked startled.

I didn’t answer, as I shut my eyes. Evgeni pulled up my shirt.

“Tristan, where are these from? I haven’t noticed these,” he muttered, gently running his hand over my scars.

“Nothing, I fell out of a tree when I was like nine, okay?”

“Tristan, this isn’t from falling out of a tree.”

“I don’t know. That’s what I remember,” I lied. Evgeni rolled me over to look into my eyes.

“Tell me?”

“When we get home.”

He hesitated before answering, "All right."

"Peanut Butter Jelly Time. Peanut Butter Jelly Time. Peanut Butter Jelly Time."

My phone rang, meaning Jordy was calling me.

I reached to my iPhone on the bedside table.

“Hello?”

“Hey it’s me. We’re all going to this club tonight.”

“We?”

“Yeah, some guys from Red Wings and Capitals, and most of our guys.”

“What time?”

“Like thirty minutes. You in?"

I groaned, "Sure."

"Sweet! Can you call TJ and tell her?"

“Yeah.”

“Hey, are you feeling better?”

“Much.”

“I didn’t get to talk to you today. I miss you.”

I chuckled, moving some hair out of my face.

“Miss you too Jordy, see you in thirty.”

“Okay, bye bye.”

I hung up.

“Where are we going?”

“To a club, I’m going to take a shower, than you can.”

“Okay.” Evgeni gave me a squeeze.

Thirty minutes later I was dressed in jean shorts, a Penguins shirt, and black converses. My hair was in a pony tail, my bangs clipped up.

“Ready Ev?”

“Yeah.”

The doorbell rang, and I got it.

“Hey TJ.” I hugged her.

“We need to talk later you and me,” she warned, smiling at me and hugging me back.

“Okay.”

“Let’s go!” Evgeni pulled me down the hall, as I was pulling TJ. We met everyone downstairs and we all walked to the club. There was about thirty of us, and I was informed there was more at the club.

We got to the club, passing through security easily. I was scared at first. I was underage, but they didn’t seem to mind. That’s what the NHL does for you!

“Hey Tristan,” Pavel said waving to me.

“Hey! I didn’t know you were here.”

“Nic, Tomas, Henrik and I walked down earlier.”

“Tomas Holmstrom?”

“The one and only.”

“Could you introduce me?” I asked shyly.

“Sure. Who’s that?”

“Oh! Pavel, this is my friend TJ, she’s Kris Letang’s little sister.”

“Hi! I’m a HUGE Red Wings fan!” TJ shook Pavel’s hand, while he laughed at me.

“C'mon.”

Pavel led us over to a table with Red Wings players. TJ and I were super giddy, giggling the whole time as we walked to the table.

“Guys, this is Tristan Davis, she’s doing that camp with us. She plays for the Penguins, and this is her friend TJ," Pavel introduced pointing to us.

“Hi!” TJ and I said at the same time.

“You guys are amazing!” I cried, and they laughed.

“I’m Nic Lidstrom,” Nic said shaking my hand.

“Hi.” I greeted, loosing my breath. This guy was Nic Lidstrom!

“Hah, are you nervous?” Nic asked. “

Yes, you guys are my idols!”

“Hah, well hello there, I’m Henrik Zetterberg.”

I shook his hand, and then I met, Niklas Kronwall, Andreas Lilja, and Chris Osgood. Tomas Holmstrom was at the end.

“Can I give you a hug?” I asked the adorable Tomas. I didn’t like him or anything, he was almost twenty years older than me, he was just the cutest thing ever! He reminded me of a teddy bear.

"Give her a hug!” the guys cried.

“Sure,” Tomas said smiling and jumping up as he pulled me into a hug.

“She wants to give you a hug because every time you get hit in front of the net, and you go to the bench, she hates seeing you that sad look on your face!” TJ whispered.

“TJ!” I was still hugging the laughing Tomas.

“Oh was I not supposed to say that?”

“Yeah, no!”

Everyone laughed at me as my cheeks reddened.

“So you hate seeing me sad?” Tomas asked as we pulled away.

“I don’t know, just when you come to the bench and the camera’s show you’re face, you just look sad, and it makes me want to cry,” I explained, embarrassed as the Red Wings laughed some more.

“Tomas you got a little fan girl,” Henrik joked.

“That’s sweet,” Tomas said ruffling my hair.

“Hah, but when we play each other, I promise I’ll hit you.”

“Oh, she’s a tough one, Tomas,” Pavel told him, smirking at me.

Thirty minutes later, TJ and I had gotten the guys to get up and dance. It was funny, most of them were either dating someone, or was married and had kids. I had talked to Nic’s kids on the phone, they were adorable. Pavel showed me a picture of his daughter and wife. And I told him about when I was fifteen and found out he had a wife and daughter and that he couldn’t date me anymore. The guys laughed at that.

TJ and I were dancing with each other, while a group of guys surround us, including some Capitals guys, some of my guys, and the Red Wings.

“Go Tristan!” TJ yelled, as Jordan and I were having a dance off.

“I won!” I yelled, laughing at Jordan.

“LOSER!” he cried, and tackled me into a hug. I broke from him and said, “I’ll be right back.

I walked to the table where Evgeni and Sidney were sitting.

“I won the dance off!” I said happily, high-fiving them. “Evgeni do you want to dance?” I added, slyly.

“Sure.”

He got up and followed me to the dance floor. Evgeni quickly pulled me around, I closed my eyes. His hand was on my chin, pushing my face up.

A mili second later, lips had crashed down on mine, it was a very forceful kiss. Which wasn’t what I excepted from Evgeni. I opened my eyes.

What?

I pushed the young man away.

“Get off of me Connor!” I cried, and he came at me again.

“Don’t touch her!” Pavel intercepted Connor, pushing him away. Evgeni stood there, motionless, string at the scene.

“Connor you asshole!” I yelled at him.

“Don’t you see Tristan? I can’t live with out you!"