Status: complete.

Breaking the Rules, NHL Style

part seven Forgetting A National Holiday

My footsteps fell hard on the pavement; my breath was rough and choppy.

Where did he go?

I was now in the heart of Pittsburgh. Buildings, cars and people surrounding me. I looked right and left, not sure where I was. I put my black purse under my arm. I huffed annoyed by the purse, I really hated carrying them.

“Where would he have gone?” I whispered under my breath, looking behind me to see a really creepy man smiling in my direction.

Ahh, right, maybe he’s already gone and this is just a wild goose chase!

“Hey cutie," I looked ahead to see a coffee shop open, and his familiar figure in the window. He had his head in his hands, and a coffee in front of him, untouched.

“Why are you out alone, a pretty girl like you shouldn’t be alone at night, creeps could try and get you?” I looked to my left; this teenager around my age stood there, with about six other guys, probably his gang or something.

Yeah buddy, creeps like you! This is not what I need right now.

“I’m meeting my boyfriend,” I told them, smugly.

“You should hang with us, and ditch whoever that loser is. He doesn’t deserve you,” what I'm guessing is the leader said.

He put his arms around my shoulders and his friends laughed. I could smell the smoke, and I tried not to cough. I had asthma, and smoke always closed up my lungs.

“Get your hands off of me, I’m late,” I muttered, not really sounding as tough as I had wanted to. I turned away so quickly, he didn’t even know where his arm rest went. I ran quickly across the street, not looking back, although the boys were calling at me.

Creeps!

Slowly opening the door, I walked to the counter.

“Water please.”

“Two dollars please," I handed over the money and the lady handed over the bottled water.

“Thanks,” I smiled, quietly walking over to Evgeni. I slipped silently into the seat. I sat there staring out the window, unnoticed until I opened my water and took a sip.

Evgeni jumped, my eyes not looking from the window, the street still busy, even though it was nearing one in the morning.

Those creepy guys were sitting at the curb, smoking. I almost shook my head, disgusted with them.

I then could feel Evgeni eyes on me, but I didn’t want to look at him, I couldn’t bring myself to, and now coming in here seemed like a really bad idea.

I wanted to get up, but I felt like I was glued to my chair. So I stared out the window, collecting my thoughts. I set the bottle down and screwed the cap on it.

“W-what are you doing?” Evgeni slurred.

“Sitting here," I replied calmly.

“Tristan," I turned towards him.

“Evgeni," I whispered, searching his eyes, as if I was going to find all the answers.

“Listen-” he started, However, I didn't let him finish.

“It was a joke. I don’t like Marc-Andre. He’s my friend, that’s it, nothing more. I don’t know what I was thinking. All I know is that I wanted to get back at you.” I explained, looking at my lap, feeling super guilty at this point, considering I did like him as more than a friend, but I just couldn’t tell him that.

He didn’t answer, for three minutes, he didn’t answer.

“I should go.”

I got up, not wanting to take anymore of the cold shoulder. I reached for my water bottle, my hand gripping its cold outer rim. His hand reached out, placing it on mine, gently.

“Stay. Please,” he whispered. I looked into his pleading eyes, sighed, and sat down. “Jealous.”

“What?” he was looking down, his hand still on mine, which was on the bottle.

“I was jealous, of Marc, my first reaction was to punch him, and I didn’t even think it through. Marc’s my friend; I would never want to hurt him. And that girl, I was only trying to get back at you. I was hurt, I am hurt. She was stupid girl, with a voice way to high. She’s not my type. I even asked if she wanted to eat, and she said she doesn’t really like food!” he cried. I was trying not to laugh at the expression on his face.

“She didn’t like food?” I asked, trying to keep a serious tone. A smile tugged at the corners of my lips. And then a laugh escaped. “I’m sorry! I’m not laughing!” I shouted, which only made me laugh harder, and Evgeni soon joined in.

“I’m hungry,” I laughed out, slowly controlling myself.

“Me too," Evgeni said, and I stood up, Evgeni doing the same. I reached out, and he seemed to get the message. He pulled me into a hug, holding me softly and caring like. I didn’t want to let go, and I don’t think that he did either.

Bad thoughts went through my mind,

What about Marc?

“McDonalds?” I asked, tears softly falling off my face and onto Evgeni’s jacket. He pointed my head up, pushing the tears out of my face.

“I’m still not forgiving you," he said bluntly.

Of course not! I knew that was coming...

“Okay,” I stopped myself there, pushing the subject would only make things worse.

“McDonalds you said?"

I turned to him and shook my head.

“Okay lets go.”

We walked out of the coffee shop, going down the street towards the club, which was now closed. I walked behind Evgeni, quietly, not wanting to break the silence. We got into the club parking lot and slipped into his car. He started the car and started towards McDonalds. Hey I was in a mood for some cheese burgers.

“Welcome to McDonalds. What would you like?” the voice asked.

“What do you want?” Evgeni asked, cocking his head toward me, I smiled inwardly. He made a shiver ran down my back.

“Cheese burger meal, with a Coke please,"

“Two cheese burger meals with Cokes.”

“Okay first window.”

“Here Evgeni,” I handed him a five.

“What?”

“I want to pay for myself.”

“Now, what kind of guy would I be if I made a girl pay for her own food?”

“Are you sure?” I asked.

“I’m sure.”

Soon after that an awkward silence started to grow. On the way home, we ate in yet again more silence. And when I was done I passed out in his car, I guess I was really tired.

- - - -

I woke up the next morning lying in my bed. I smiled to myself, rolling over, something caught my eye on the bedside table.

Tristan, you like passed out in my car. So I brought you up here. I told everyone I found you on the streets. You hobo. Just kidding! Just know you’re not off the hook. But thanks for telling me everything. I understand now. - Evgeni.

I sighed, knowing that I didn’t tell Evgeni everything. But it's not like I told Marc that I indeed, like him back. I felt horrible, but I just couldn’t tell him. I wondered when everything was going to get back to normal, considering I wasn’t enjoying all these changing events, it was too stressful. And totally unhockey related

[Penguins practice]

“Good, Evgeni, that’s good!” Michel yelled to him, lightly tapping his stick against the boards.

“And Tristan, swop down a little more, then we’ve got it!” Mike Yeo, our assistant coach yelled excitedly, standing in-between Andre Savard, and Michel Therrien.

“Okay, again!” Andre yelled.

We were doing a breakout, regroup and then a five on three. I did this all the time in Bantams. I was playing right wing with Evgeni and Bugsy as my line mates. Yes Evgeni and I were still sort of in a fight, but we were working extremely well on a line together. And as long as we could play well, nothing else mattered.

Michel dumped the puck in and we started to go. I curled in, seeing that Ty Conklin had stopped the puck and Sergei was passing the puck to Bugsy. Max came in on the fore check, hitting Bugsy’s stick.

Sergei Gonchar and Ryan Whitney were defensive partners for this drill the other defensive partners were Brooks Orpik and Kris.

“Bug!” I cried as he looked up passing me the puck.

“T! T!” Brooks cried, I looked up, the puck landed on his stick.

“Regroup!” Kris called and Bugsy and I switched positions. Evgeni called for the puck, getting it and passing it towards me. This is where the three of five started.

Max rushed towards me, I curled, making him fall into the boards. I saw Kris open, while Evgeni and Bugsy staked hard to the net, getting in front of Ty, acting as a screen. Kris shot the puck, going right over his glove. The whistle blew.

“Good Job. Sid’s line is up. D, switch.” Michel ordered, talking to the Defensemen.

I jumped on the boards, sitting in-between Kris and Bugsy.

“Nice shot!” I cried, giving Kris a high-five

“Nice pass!” we cracked up as Sid’s line ran through the drill.

“Alright, good practice!” Kris and I jumped off the boards and skated off the ice.

I quickly looked back towards Marc, who just took off his helmet and was skating towards us. I let out a smile as soon as my eyes caught his, butterflies erupting in my stomach as he returned it with a full one.

Sidney gave me a few confused looks as I just kept on walking towards the locker room with a small smile on my face. In the locker room I now officially sit next to Kris and Bugsy. Which was fine with me, directly across from us were Sidney, Evgeni and Jordan.

I sat down and started undressing. Minutes later I stood in my sports bra and short shorts, looking in my shelf and seeing that my clothes weren't there.

“Who took my clothes?” I cried, feeling very awkward, since I had never stood in my just my sports bra for more than ten seconds before. The locker room went silent; almost all of the guys had smirks on their faces.

Ugh, PERV'S!

“I need my clothes! C'mon you freakin' creeps!”

“Ryan took them!” Brooks called out.

“RYAN!”

“No I swear it wasn’t me!” Ryan Whitney, yelled, scared for his life. I walked over to the two of them, my hands on my hips.

“Give them back.” I said, glaring daggers into their skulls. They flinched.

“Oh Tristy!” I heard someone sing, turning around to see Dany Sabourin, our back-up, back-up, goalie, wearing my bra, over his shirt.

“OH MY GOD! GET THAT OFF!” I cried, tackling him to the ground, trying to unclip my bra.

“You have to give me a kiss!” he said. I shook my head, falling and scooting back on the floor.

“W-what?”

“Kiss, kiss, kiss!” the boys chanted, minus, Evgeni, Marc, Sidney, Jordan, Kris, Bugsy and Max, who all just looked irritated.

“No!” I took him off guard, swiftly unclipping my bra, and grabbing it off of him. I grabbed my clothes in his shelf and laughed evilly to the showers.

Which I kicked Gary Roberts and Ty Conklin out of. They were dressed, thank god!

- - - -

I looked at myself in the mirror, I was wearing a black penguins T-Shirt, with jean shorts. I put a clip in my curly wet hair and walked out. Assuming that I was riding home with Kris, because I had gotten a ride from him, because he had once again spent the night at our house.

I zipped up my bag and sat on the bench, everyone was taking their sweet time getting undressed. I looked over at Evgeni, who was laughing at Sidney. He had the bottom of his hockey gear on, with no shirt. I seriously couldn’t take my eyes off of him. He looked over and smirked, rubbing his hands up and down his stomach slowly, never taking his eyes off of me.

I rolled my eyes, laughing on the inside. He turned around and put a shirt on. I gave a pouty face, and he laughed. I smiled, as someone barged into the locker room.

“Happy Fourth of JULY!” Michel cried.

“Huh?” I asked Michel, Mike and Andre, who stood there staring at me. Holding a pie decorated in 4th of July stuff.

“Come here!” Michel screamed, I rolled my eyes and walked over.

“Shut your eyes!” Andre ordered. I did as I was told, and seconds later I felt whip cream and pie on my face.

“MICHEL!” I screeched.

Laughs erupted in the locker room. I had an evil idea.

I barley opened my eyes and saw Evgeni, rolling on the floor. I walked over and rubbed my face all over his shirt.

“Tristan!” he cried. I laughed and ran into the bathroom, locking the door behind me. I wiped off everything and walked out just in time to here Sidney say,

“Party at our house tonight, it starts at eight, don’t be late. Bring food, drinks, and fireworks! And you can bring friends.”

I rolled my eyes and stood in front of Kris, who was sitting in street clothes.

“Ready to go?”

“Yeah, but we have to go to the store, get some party stuff.”

“Mkay.”

I suddenly felt cold water dumped on me, and laughing, lots of laughing. I turned around to see Evgeni holding a bucket.

“Malkin, you’re so dead!” I shouted, trying to reach out to him, but slipping on the wetness of the floor and falling hard on him.

The bucket was now rolling over the locker room. “You're done," I whispered almost seductively in his ear.

“I don’t think so,” he replied, smirking.

“You’re still mad at me?” I asked giving him puppy eyes.

“You bet.”

“Tristan, someone's here to see- oh my god my eyes!” Bugsy yelled, who had obviously just gotten in the locker room.

“BUGSY!” I jumped off Evgeni and went to hit him, but he put his arm out, holding my head, pushing it away from his body. I couldn’t touch him.

“Damn you!” I cried.

“You're wet,” he said, stating the obvious, pulling his hand away.

“Yeah thanks to that dweeb,” I muttered, pointing to Evgeni, who was on still on the ground, laying on his back and talking to Kris who was sitting on the bench.

“Oh, well people are here-” I turned toward the door, my jaw on the floor.

“Tristan!” they cried.