Status: Moving along...Kind of slow.

We Don't Have to be a Tragedy

Act IV, Scene V

Juliet’s Point of View

I gripped the microphone, smiling down at Todd, Taylor, Ry, Trisha, John, James, and Sarah. I told the name of my song to Sam, who went to find it as I stood on stage. My confidence was building slightly. I was the lead role in the musical, so I obviously had some sort of talent, right?

“Ladies and gentlemen, the amazing Juliet Capula with the song ‘Candles’ by Hey Monday. Enjoy!” Sam cried, and I flushed at the compliment, but readied myself.

Todd’s Point of View

“Is this it? Her new favorite song?” I asked Taylor in a low voice. She’d already filled the others in on how badly she thought Juliet was faring without Romeo and how crazy she knew this separation was driving her best friend, so I really didn’t need to ask so quietly. Oh, well.

“Yes,” she nodded. “And I’ll bet she’s good at singing it. At any rate, the whole song doesn’t apply to her right now, but the chorus does. You’ll probably notice by how much heart she’ll but into it.”

“You don’t even need to hear the song to realize how much it bugs her,” Trisha said, looking up at Juliet. “You can tell how much she misses him by just looking at her. And let me tell you, I don’t see how she’s still sane.”

“It’s eating her up,” Ry pitched in, nodding and waving Maria over to tell his girlfriend that this was the song Taylor had warned about.

“I’ll listen,” she promised, then walked off to wait on the other tables in her area.

Romeo’s Point of View

I wonder what she’s doing…?

I couldn’t help it. No matter what I did, Juliet was the only person I really thought about. I was again staring at the peeling ceiling, thinking about her. She’s probably at Whitney’s with the gang. I wished I could be there with her, hear her voice in person. I’d bet a million dollars that she’ll be the one with the loudest cheers in that whole place tonight.

Her clear voice, her brilliant smile, the bell-like highs and the resonating lows.

I want to hear your voice, I thought to myself.

Juliet’s Point of View

The music played, and I swayed lightly with it until my cue.

The power lines went out
And I am all alone
But I don’t really care at all
Not answering my phone

All the games you played
The promises you made
Couldn’t finish what you started
Only darkness still remains

Lost sight
Couldn’t see
When it was you and me

Blow the candles out
Looks like a solo tonight
I’m beginning to see the light

Blow the candles out
Looks like a solo tonight
But I think I’ll be all right
.”

I took a breath after singing that part with so much gusto.

Been black and blue before
There’s no need to explain
I am not the jaded kind
Playback’s such a waste

You’re invisible
Invisible to me
My wish is coming true
Erase the memory of your face

Lost sight
Couldn’t see
When it was you and me

Blow the candles out
Looks like a solo tonight
I'm beginning to see the light

Blow the candles out
Looks like a solo tonight
But I think I'll be all right


One day
You will wake up
With nothing but you’re sorry’s

And someday
You will get back
Everything you gave me

Blow the candles out
Looks like a solo tonight
I'm beginning to see the light

Blow the candles out
Looks like a solo tonight
But I think I'll be all right
.”

I blinked away the tears that threatened to come to my vision. I’d finally sang the song that had plagued my heart to everyone else. I’d finally gotten it off my chest, and I felt a bit better. Sure, all of it wasn’t what fit my feelings, mostly just the chorus, but I loved the song nonetheless.

I smiled as I got cheers and Sam took the mic, asking me to come back up again later. I agreed, smilingly - although the smile didn’t quite reach my eyes.

Romeo’s Point of View

My phone chimed with a line from the Hey Monday song that Juliet had sang to me over the phone, which was my new tone for messages. I hoped it was from Juliet, but it was from her friend Taylor. I opened the multimedia message and found a video clip that was about twenty seconds long.

I played it.

Blow the candles out
Looks like a solo tonight
I’m beginning to see the light

Blow the candles out
Looks like a solo tonight
But I think I’ll be all right
.”

“Juliet,” I smiled as I watched her sing her heart out. Even with the poor phone video, her voice rang strong and true. The words were so true…I scrolled down and read the text Taylor attached.

This is the one part of this song that applies to you guys. I thought you should see. (:

“Thanks, Taylor,” I said out loud, texting the same thing back to her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait. I hope this is at least semi-satisfactory, even if lyrics take up like, half of it again.

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT OWN HEY MONDAY - CANDLES OR ANY OTHER LYRICS I USE IN MY STORY UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED. THEY BELONG TO THEIR RESPECTIVE OWNERS AND EVEN IF I WISH I OWNED THEM I DON'T.

Anyway, I love you guys if you're still reading and waiting for this. Ten more chapters to go, I think. I don't really want to drag it out. I'd originally planned it to be 75 chapters, but I'm thinking 60 is long enough.

Thank you for reading.

<333 Amanda

PS - sorry if I've lost some of the original essence of the story. I started this over a year ago, right? and my style has grown and expanded since then, and my plans for the story have continuously changed. I'm still trying to piece together parts of the rest of it, but I'll try not to have you guys waiting too long. :)