Status: Moving along...Kind of slow.

We Don't Have to be a Tragedy

Jules is just her nickname. It’s short for Juliet, actually. Juliet Viola Capula…so close to Capulet, and Viola is from Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night. In all actuality, Jules loves Shakespearean plays, the way they’re written and the way they are expertly acted out. But her name makes her think of Romeo and Juliet, and Jules doesn’t want a tragedy. She wants a normal life, with a bit of fun.

His name is Monty. Well, not really. In fact, his parents liked Shakespeare, too. They‘ve got degrees in just Shakespearean dramas, if you‘d believe it. So, his name happens to be Romeo. His last name’s Davis, but everyone calls him Monty after Montague, and that happens to be his middle name. Romeo Montague Davis respects Shakespeare, but he wants to live his own life.

Their parents were really obsessed with Shakespeare’s works, and they happen to all be professors at the same college. Jules’ mother teaches drama, Monty’s mother teaches costume design (with a special unit on Shakespearean costumes, of course). Jules’ father is an English Professor, and one semester is always, without fail, Shakespeare. Monty’s father just focuses on plays, and he, too, has a semester on Shakespeare.

So, what happens when these four Shakespeare-obsessed parents get together and plan a performance of Romeo and Juliet?

And then volunteer their own children for the leading roles.