The Past Belongs In The Past

Chapter Seven- Old Photos

“Who was that on the phone, Mummy?” Madison asked.

If I was going to start telling the truth I’d best start with the youngest.

“That was…your uncle, sweetie.”

“Uncle Chris?”

“No not my brother. Your father’s brother.” I flopped down onto the couch.

“My daddy’s brother?”

“Yes, Uncle Mikey.”

“Mikey. That’s a nice name.” She said crawling into my arms.

“Can I meet him?” she asked after a while.

“Mikey? Um…yea sure.”

“What about daddy? Do I get to meet him too?”

“Of course.” I said weakly.

She got up and trotted off into her room. I could hear her in there and when she came back she was holding something.

“What’s that munchkin?” I asked.

She held it up. It was the photo I had given her, of Gerard and me a few years before I left. We looked so young, so stupid.

“That’s my daddy.” She said pointing at him. “Who’s that?” she pointed at the younger version of me who was smiling up at us.

“That’s me.”

“You were pretty.”

“Yea…”

“Here she is” the nurse came back into the room holding a tiny little bundle in her arms.
I took her in my hold and looked down at her. She was absolutely gorgeous. Tiny fingers and toes, her little eyelids quivering as she slept peacefully, the beautiful little black curls on top of her head. She was mine.

“She’s beautiful isn’t she.” The nurse cooed.

“Yes, she is.”

“I just need to get a bit of information about little Baby March.”

I looked up at the smiling nurse. I knew what was coming.

“Have you picked a name yet?”

“Madison Josephine March.” I said automatically. “Oh no, um… Madison Josephine Way March. Do I have to decide that right now?”

“Not right now but we’ll need confirmation in the next month or two.”

“Madison Josephine March for now.” I said.

“And your full name?”

“Anna Josephine March.”

“and Madison’s biological father’s full name?”

I paused. There it was. The question I had been dreading.

“Gerard Arthur Way” I said eventually “Will you have to contact him?” I asked.

The nurse gave me a sympathetic look. I’m sure she got quite a few of my ‘cases’ “Not if you don’t want us to. But I suggest that you do.”


“Why are you crying?” she asked.

“Sometimes tears are good, Maddie.”