Sequel: Trade Mistakes
Status: Sequal? Or no?

Like a Fool

Chapter o29

A shaky sigh exited my mouth as I checked myself in the motel room mirror. Today I was finally going to meet Adrian and find out if I would get to move in! I straightened the purple cardigan I was wearing and slipped on my black ballet flats. I was trying to dress in a way that could be interpreted as neutral, nothing too loud or too quiet.

But before I went to the coffee shop where we were going to meet I had to stop by Brian's for a last minute pep-talk/ what-if-she's-crazy-you're-going-to-die lecture.

"I'm going with you." Matt said as soon as I had entered the house.

"No you're not Matthew, I can do this on my own." I said in a stern tone.

"I really don't understand why you can't stay with one of us until your dad leaves! Then you wouldn't have to get an apartment and waste all that money!" His idea did sound appealing but I needed to do this.

"Look I'm never going to be able to look you guys in the eye if I know that you think I can't do anything for myself. Besides the apartment isn't that far away and I'll be moving again once I go to college!"

"Don't talk like that." Matt grumbled.

"Like what?" I questioned.

"Like you're going to leave us, I don't want to think of you going to college and leaving us behind."

"Matthew Sanders! Don't you start talking like that! How could I ever forget you guys? And it's not like I'll be that far away! Santa Barbra is only a few hours away, I'll come home every weekend and you'll visit me up there right?"

"Of course I will." He said hugging me "I just really don't want to lose my best friend."

"And you won't, well if you don't let me do this you might go down a few notches but you'll always be my best friend."

"So you're really determined to see this whole thing through?"

I gave him a look "Since when have I ever done anything half assed?"

He gave a snort and sighed "Fine, lets go already..." The muttered "Before I change my mind."

"Keep acting like that and I'll make you stay here." I said sternly, then realized my slip "Wait! I never even said you could go! You stay here!" I pushed on his chest trying to get him away from the front door.

I was making some progress but only because he was going easy on me "I can over power you little girl so don't think you can force me."

"Little girl?!" I shrieked "I'm only a few months younger, and I'm not fucking little!"

"You look pretty little to me..."

"Fuck you Matt! You stay here or so help me God I will make a scene." I glared with as much contempt as I could muster.

"And that would be different how?" He smirked, he knew he was getting to me. Which is precisely why he was doing it.

I changed my tactic, if he was expecting a temper tantrum then go the opposite direction "Fine, I won't go. I'll just stay in the motel until college." I crossed my arms and started towards the couch."And besides if I'm friendly with the guy at the front desk then maybe I can get a discount!" I flopped on the sofa and started aiming the remote at the TV.

"Not on your life! Fine! I won't go in, but I'll wait in the car!"

"Naw, it's okay. I've got it covered." Still flipping away at the channels.

"Cain!" His voice wavered, I looked up to see his face near the point of begging.

I sighed "Fine Matt, but you have to promise me to stay in the car!"

"Will you at least crack the windows?" A smile finally broke.

"Eh, maybe."

***

With Matt safely away I walked up to the doors with confidence. Even if this failed (although how could it?) then I could always look for someone else to room with!

I had little to go on except for the brief description she gave to me over the phone, but finally I found Adrian. She stood up to greet me, she was taller than me with straight chin length brown hair and snake bites. She looked nothing like a psychopath, so far so good.

"It's nice to meet you in person!" She said happily.

"It's nice to see you too." We shook hands and sat down.

"So how old are you?" She began.

"17, 18 in February."

"Why are you looking for a roommate if you're only 17?"

"Fucked up home situation, my dead beat father wanting to come back, blah blah blah. How old are you?"

"18, moved out to be closer to my sister. You have any siblings?"

"Cool, but nope. I'm an only child."

The meeting went much like this for the next hour, just trivial facts to see what living together would be like. I was feeling even more confident, but I tried to not get my hopes up. Things tend to crash and burn when I expected the most out of them.

"Well, I must say I like you! And those interviews turned out to be nothing really, one was a weird 30 year old guy trying to get out of his mom's house! So congrats! You get the other room! When can you move in?"

"How about this Saturday? I really need to get out of that motel." Relief washed over me, now I can get on with my life!

"Sounds great! I'll see you Saturday!" We hugged and went our separate ways at the door. Once I got into the car I noticed Matt's leg bouncing up and down nervously, his hands knotted on his lap, and chewing on his lip ring.

"Calm down Matty! She's a totally cool girl! And... I move in on Saturday!"

Relief broke over his face he muttered a quiet "Thank god." And hugged me from the awkward position over the center console. "Now can we please go check you out of that grungy motel? You can stay at my place until Saturday." I was about to protest but he looked way too cute with his big hazel eyes staring at me imploringly.

I sighed heavily "Fine, but on Saturday I'm going to my new apartment!" I said, almost trying to convince myself more than him.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. Now lets get going!" I rolled my eyes and drove to the place that was starting to haunt my dreams.
♠ ♠ ♠
Writers block is a bitch...

I'm sorry about the totally lame delay! School started two weeks ago and band camp two weeks before that! So I've got quite a bit on my plate but I'll keep updating as much as I can, writing is one of the only ways to get rid of stress for me. And I'm in a totally awesome English class that's teaching me some really helpful writing tips so hopefully my writing will improve!

You be the judge!